CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice

+6
earthychic77
Tamren
labon10
DanceOnTheSkylines
adiaha
oooop2
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice Empty I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice

Post by oooop2 17th December 2009, 1:30 am

I've been natural since Feb 1998, but I only started growing my hair out in Nov 2005. If you check out my fotki album, you can definitely see my hair journey. I have learned a lot along the way, and have had much success in growing and retaining my hair length. If you have any questions/etc, don't hesitate to ask me Smile

http://public.fotki.com/oooop2/
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice Empty Re: I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice

Post by adiaha 17th December 2009, 2:19 am

Thanks, I love your hair and I JUST BC'd so I will definitely be looking to you for help. Thanks for offering.
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice Empty Re: I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice

Post by DanceOnTheSkylines 17th December 2009, 8:17 am

I've been looking for an experienced big sister! Smile I've been natural since February or march of 2008, a little longer than most curlies on this site, but I still have a lot I feel that I don't know. What's the best regimen for a TWA?

DanceOnTheSkylines

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 17th December 2009, 10:16 am

I need a big sister!!

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 17th December 2009, 1:53 pm

Hey ladies....I'm glad to help. I'm still learning a lot about my hair, but the journey has definitely been fun!

DanceOnTheSkylines wrote:I've been looking for an experienced big sister! Smile I've been natural since February or march of 2008, a little longer than most curlies on this site, but I still have a lot I feel that I don't know. What's the best regimen for a TWA?

I wish someone had told me when I had a TWA how important it was to keep it properly moisturized. If you want to retain any length, you have to start babying your TWA now.

I would cowash at least 3-5 days a week. Stay away from hard gels/etc, and use products that will help you hair maintain it's strength and moisture.

My staple products are Water, Herbal Essence, Aubrey Organic, Shea butter, Castor oil, EVOO, and Coconut oil.

Also have fun w/ your TWA. Accessorize with cute headbands/clips. And most importantly enjoy the freedoms that have a TWA provides.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamren 17th December 2009, 2:21 pm

Do you have room for another sister?? Very Happy
Tamren
Tamren

Back to top Go down

Post by earthychic77 17th December 2009, 9:41 pm

And another one... I am working hard on retaining length. I trimmed my ends for the first time myself about a week ago and honestly I can't tell if I trimmed enough. My ends don't look fried or bad but it is kinda hard to make sure they are healthy, if that makes sense. The last time my stylist who actually did my BC in 3/2008 cut my ends she didn't say they were bad but just cut them anyway, I assume for the overall health of my hair. Is there a good way to test other than straightening?
earthychic77
earthychic77

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 17th December 2009, 11:37 pm

tamren* wrote:Do you have room for another sister?? Very Happy

Absolutely Smile

earthychic77 wrote:And another one... I am working hard on retaining length. I trimmed my ends for the first time myself about a week ago and honestly I can't tell if I trimmed enough. My ends don't look fried or bad but it is kinda hard to make sure they are healthy, if that makes sense. The last time my stylist who actually did my BC in 3/2008 cut my ends she didn't say they were bad but just cut them anyway, I assume for the overall health of my hair. Is there a good way to test other than straightening?

Definitely...

Regarding your question, there are a lot of curlies who opt not to really straighten their hair on a regular basis. The last time I flat ironed my hair was on Jan 22., and I don't have any plans to flat iron any time soon. So to test my hair, I just examine my ends while in twist and check for splits/excessive knots. If I see them, I clip them off. For the back, I most feel and cut.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by DanceOnTheSkylines 18th December 2009, 10:27 pm

oooop2 wrote:Hey ladies....I'm glad to help. I'm still learning a lot about my hair, but the journey has definitely been fun!

DanceOnTheSkylines wrote:I've been looking for an experienced big sister! Smile I've been natural since February or march of 2008, a little longer than most curlies on this site, but I still have a lot I feel that I don't know. What's the best regimen for a TWA?

I wish someone had told me when I had a TWA how important it was to keep it properly moisturized. If you want to retain any length, you have to start babying your TWA now.

I would cowash at least 3-5 days a week. Stay away from hard gels/etc, and use products that will help you hair maintain it's strength and moisture.

My staple products are Water, Herbal Essence, Aubrey Organic, Shea butter, Castor oil, EVOO, and Coconut oil.

Also have fun w/ your TWA. Accessorize with cute headbands/clips. And most importantly enjoy the freedoms that have a TWA provides.

Thanks! My hair always seems to get dry and shriveled by the end of the day, and I really like coconut oil but ran out some time ago. I'm not sure how to secure my puff with a headband without the front part poofing up too, any advice on that?

DanceOnTheSkylines

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 22nd December 2009, 11:43 am

DanceOnTheSkylines wrote:
oooop2 wrote:Hey ladies....I'm glad to help. I'm still learning a lot about my hair, but the journey has definitely been fun!

DanceOnTheSkylines wrote:I've been looking for an experienced big sister! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I've been natural since February or march of 2008, a little longer than most curlies on this site, but I still have a lot I feel that I don't know. What's the best regimen for a TWA?

Thanks! My hair always seems to get dry and shriveled by the end of the day, and I really like coconut oil but ran out some time ago. I'm not sure how to secure my puff with a headband without the front part poofing up too, any advice on that?

How long is your hair? Are you referring to a puff ponytail?

If so, try using some cut off nyons that match your hair. I would basically do a wash n go. With my hair dripping wet, I would make sure I had a good amount of condish on my hair. I would also add my shea butter mix and some hold gel (especially along my hairline). I would then use a cut off nylon to secure my puff. I have pics in my fotki album.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinking4herselfnow 25th December 2009, 5:34 pm

Hi, I was wondering if you had room for another Little Sister?

I decided to go natural earlier this year; not everyone in my family was receptive to the idea Sad I was always the one with the long, thick head of hair that everyone in my family envied.

I had previously attempted going natural my senior year of highschool but my mom somehow 'convinced' (and I use that term usely, it was a bit more forceful than that) me to perm my hair for my senior prom. So after that I was hooked back on the creamy 'solution' through my first year and a half of college (I'm a junior now). But I decided to go natural about 6 months ago. The thing is that I notice that I'm having a significant amount of breakage and I don't know what the best route is to moisturize and condition my hair.

Now I am at this point where I am completely tired of dealing with my permed ends. I've decided to cut my hair on Jan 2, 2010. The thing is, I need some sort of advice in whether to chop all the dead ends off, or whether I should just cut about an inch and a half of my hair off.

Currently, I have about 2-3.5 inches of natural hair on my head. I'm concerned that I won't know what to do with a TWA. It would be the first time in my whole life that I would have short hair :/

I guess my underlying question is...what is the best way to care for my TWA and are there any products that you would recommend for my use?

Sincerely,
Thinking4herselfnow
Thinking4herselfnow
Thinking4herselfnow

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 26th December 2009, 11:33 pm

Hey....I will gladly be your big sister Smile

In my opinion, caring for a TWA can be effortless if you have the right products for your hair.

You can cowash daily which provides your hair with additional moisture. Try using a moisturizing cream that leaves your hair feeling soft and manageable, as well as allowing your curls to pop. I like creams with Shea and castor oil for my hair. And accectuate your hair with cute clips/headbands to enhance your look. I loved having a TWA Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinking4herselfnow 27th December 2009, 3:14 am

oooop2 wrote:Hey....I will gladly be your big sister [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

THANK YOU!!! Now, I do have a couple questions...when you refer to using castor oil in your hair do you use a specific brand/type? Also, how do you apply the castor oil to your hair?
Thinking4herselfnow
Thinking4herselfnow

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 27th December 2009, 7:21 pm

Thinking4herselfnow wrote:
oooop2 wrote:Hey....I will gladly be your big sister [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

THANK YOU!!! Now, I do have a couple questions...when you refer to using castor oil in your hair do you use a specific brand/type? Also, how do you apply the castor oil to your hair?

I get most of my stuff from iherb.com

Here is the brand I love:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Castor-Oil-16-fl-oz-473-ml/897?at=0

In a plastic container, I mix shea butter, castor oil, evoo, and coconut oil. Before twisting, I section off my hair and apply this mix to each section, then I twist. Then in the morning, I spritz my hair w/ a water, aloe vera gel, and glycerin mix and apply my shea mix to my hair.

HTHs Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinking4herselfnow 27th December 2009, 10:42 pm

oooop2 wrote:HTHs [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It definitely does, thank you!

I wanted to know if you melt your shea butter before you make the mix or do you just soften it? I purchased African Shea Butter from amazon.com and and it comes in, not clumps, but in like heaps (I really don't know how to explain it), but it melts when you warm it with your hands.

Also, where do you purchase your coconut oil, glycerin, and aloe vera gel? All from iherb?
Thinking4herselfnow
Thinking4herselfnow

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 28th December 2009, 9:38 am

I wanted to know if you melt your shea butter before you make the mix or do you just soften it? I purchased African Shea Butter from amazon.com and and it comes in, not clumps, but in like heaps (I really don't know how to explain it), but it melts when you warm it with your hands.

Also, where do you purchase your coconut oil, glycerin, and aloe vera gel? All from iherb?

I puchase my Shea butter from afrikanrepublic.com
http://www.afrikanrepublic.com/pd-afrikan-republic-golden-shea-butter-32oz.cfm

or nasabb.com
http://www.nasabb.com/Unrefined-Shea-Butter-8oz-40Set-of-441_p_245.html

They are both really soft, creamy, and require no extra melting (unless you prefer). I just add everything to a bowl and whip.

All the other stuff is purchased at iherb.com
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinking4herselfnow 29th December 2009, 5:08 pm

oooop2 wrote:

or nasabb.com

They are both really soft, creamy, and require no extra melting (unless you prefer). I just add everything to a bowl and whip.

Thank you sooooo much, I will definitely check the sites out! I just rescheduled my BC date for Jan. 2nd and I'm so excited!!! Smile
Thinking4herselfnow
Thinking4herselfnow

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 31st December 2009, 2:36 am

oooop2 wrote:

or nasabb.com

Thank you sooooo much, I will definitely check the sites out! I just rescheduled my BC date for Jan. 2nd and I'm so excited!!! Smile

No prob...Post pics...I would love to see your BC Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinking4herselfnow 5th January 2010, 10:14 pm

I did my BC on January 2nd. I would have posted pictures earlier but my computer was acting foolish. So here are my pictures for your viewing :]

Me with a perm
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(last perm)

The night before my BC

First picture after my BC

Palm rolls and a new attitude

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/quote]
Thinking4herselfnow
Thinking4herselfnow

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 5th January 2010, 11:33 pm

THINKING4HERSELFNOW...Love your coils. Reminds me of my coil days. So how was the BC? Were you nervous and having second thoughts or did you view it as a sense of freedom?

Now that you are natural, have you developed a regime to help care for/grow your hair?
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by WavyKid 8th January 2010, 12:32 am

Is there room for me? I just BC'd on December 29th and I'm still trying to find the right conditioner and moisturizer so that my hair isn't dried out by the end of the day.I don't have much support at home and in a few days I'll be back at school so...I need help.A lot of it lol
WavyKid
WavyKid

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinking4herselfnow 8th January 2010, 2:00 am

oooop2 wrote:THINKING4HERSELFNOW...Love your coils. Reminds me of my coil days. So how was the BC? Were you nervous and having second thoughts or did you view it as a sense of freedom?

Now that you are natural, have you developed a regime to help care for/grow your hair?

Thanks Smile
My BC was fabulous. . . I was so excited! I felt great as the stylist was cutting my hair, it was a sense of freedom. Like there was some weight lifted off of my shoulders.

I've started to feel out some oils, conditioners and leave-ins. I'm still figuring out what works for me though.
Thinking4herselfnow
Thinking4herselfnow

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 8th January 2010, 2:02 am

WavyKid wrote:Is there room for me? I just BC'd on December 29th and I'm still trying to find the right conditioner and moisturizer so that my hair isn't dried out by the end of the day.I don't have much support at home and in a few days I'll be back at school so...I need help.A lot of it lol

Definitely...Congrats on the BC Smile

What conditioners and moisturizers have you used thus far? Do you wash your hair on a regular basis? How do you plan on typically wearing your hair?
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by WavyKid 8th January 2010, 4:43 am

I have Mane&Tail shampoo and conditioner,Olive Oil conditioner,pink oil,moisturizer Vo5 moisturizing conditioner.A lot of randomness.Trying to find the right mix I suppose.I have been washing it pretty regularly just trying to figure things out.Right now its not long enough for me to do much with it on my own.I've just been wearing it fro'd out with a band or braiding the top half.Nothing big.
WavyKid
WavyKid

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 8th January 2010, 11:18 am

oooop2 wrote:THINKING4HERSELFNOW...Love your coils. Reminds me of my coil days. So how was the BC? Were you nervous and having second thoughts or did you view it as a sense of freedom?

Thanks Smile
My BC was fabulous. . . I was so excited! I felt great as the stylist was cutting my hair, it was a sense of freedom. Like there was some weight lifted off of my shoulders.

I've started to feel out some oils, conditioners and leave-ins. I'm still figuring out what works for me though.

Yeah..I felt the same way. I think my sense of freedom caught the barber by surprised b/c he had never had any female just walk into his shop and say, that it all off.

What oils/condish are you trying out? When my hair was your length, I loved Pantene. Now that it's longer, my hair HATES HATES HATES Pantene. Once in awhile, I'll try to use Pantene, and my hair just knots up. Now my hair loves Herbal Essence and Aubrey's.

WavyKid wrote:I have Mane&Tail shampoo and conditioner,Olive Oil conditioner,pink oil,moisturizer Vo5 moisturizing conditioner.A lot of randomness.Trying to find the right mix I suppose.I have been washing it pretty regularly just trying to figure things out.Right now its not long enough for me to do much with it on my own.I've just been wearing it fro'd out with a band or braiding the top half.Nothing big.

For some, the Mane and Tail can be drying. Try to finish a really good moisturizing shampoo. I haven't used Pink Oil for years, but it tends to leave my hair feeling greasy. For cowashing my hair, I love Suave. It's cheap, provides great slip on my hair, and it leaves my hair feeling soft. Have you tried doing coils on your hair? That might be another style that you can add to give yourself some variety.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next