CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coconut oil...

+22
Moni
mykelmarie
tamtam7
nmoultry
bella gee
loveself247
natural83
xtremelyperfect
Rock'n Natural Curls
naturaltresses1211
veggiegirl314
tiashaunteé
StealMyHeartLovee
gammainme
feelinme
Iomer
NappyJer19
krenea
sweetdrk1
ActionActress
dajewel
CurlyDoesIt...
26 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Coconut oil... - Page 3 Empty Re: Coconut oil...

Post by loveself247 4th November 2009, 1:40 pm

rock'n natural curls I asked Curly Nikki about doing Henna treatments with me having two textures (relaxer) and she said I could. So it is safe. As a matter of fact they have Henna especially designed for women with relaxed and natural hair.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 4th November 2009, 6:45 pm

Has anybody ever used coconut oil by the Organic-Root Stimulator brand? I got a bottle of it today, until I can get over to Whole Foods.
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 5th November 2009, 5:33 am

Another question about the coconut oil! When do you guys use it on your hair? Do you use it as a sealant while its wet along with your shea butter, or do you use it while its dry throughout the week, or both???? Just want to make sure that I use it right so I can benefit from it best!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 5th November 2009, 5:37 am

@naturarl83 I use it on my hair when it is dam after I have washed it. Then when it is dry I run it through my hair, concentrating on my ends.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by bella gee 5th November 2009, 10:42 am

I like Hairveda's coconut oil blend 'Vatika Frosting'. I use it on dry hair, to both moisturize and seal.
bella gee
bella gee

http://public.fotki.com/BellaGee/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 5th November 2009, 11:04 am

I use it on wet and dry hair. I like the outcome from using it both ways so I don't have a preference.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 5th November 2009, 11:14 am

I love how on some of the items Hairveda tells the shelf life...so awesome!

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 8th November 2009, 9:30 pm

I'm so glad that someone posted this thread. I've been curious about where to get coconut oil from and if it is a liquid or solid. I had only seen it in a solid form, but then I watched a youtube video where this girl was doing bantu knots and she used coconut oil that was in a liquid form, and I thought, how cool, I wonder where she got that from. So, it comes solid, but depending on the temp in your house it will turn into a liquid. Got it! I'm going to Whole Foods tomorrow to purchase some. Thx for posting this question.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by mykelmarie 10th November 2009, 2:22 pm

Thank you ladies for all the good info! I went out and bought coconut oil and milk the same day I signed up and my hair loves me for it! It looks and feels better than ever [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mykelmarie
mykelmarie

http://www.myspace.com/mykelmarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 10th November 2009, 2:45 pm

natural83 wrote:
loveself247 wrote:Hey natural83,,, I use "Now" brand Coconut oil and most if it comes in a solid form but it will melt at warm room temp or if you set it on the stove. But as dajewel said, you must put some in a different container or use a plastic spoon as krenea suggested so you don't contaminate your product.

Stop playin and get over to Whole Foods to get your coconut oil lady...lol

Hahahaha...you know what, Im going to make a trip to Whole Foods just for you! LOL! I was wondering because I've seen coconut oil in the liquid form, and that's what I prefer, but everybody's been getting the solid form, so I guess that's what I will do if that's better. Guess I will add that to my list of hair items!

Coconut oil changes from solid to liquid depending on the temperature (just like water becomes ice). It's still the exact same coconut oil, but under around 70 degrees or so it will solidify. If you heat it up, as various ladies have suggested, it liquefies again.

For me, coconut oil acts as both a light moisturizer and sealer, due to it's penetrating properties. I usually apply it on top of my regular, water-based moisturizer, and my hair is more moisturizer than just using the moisturizer. I then seal my ends with shea, since it is purely a sealer for me. For me, coconut oil works best if I lightly moisten my hair (or even just my hands) when applying it.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by MeekMonique 18th November 2009, 2:43 pm

I found Spectrum brand Unrefined Organic Virgin Coconut Oil @ Wal-mart Smile

I love it on my skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MeekMonique
MeekMonique

http://fotki.com/RoyalEmpress2

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 18th November 2009, 5:31 pm

Spectrum brand is what I am currently using MeekMonique...they didn't have the other brand I started using thats in a black plastic container when I went to Whole Foods. I love this brand just as much though. I really don't know what the difference is between EVCO and UOVCO, they both work for my family. We all use it.

Natural83...I use it on both wet and dry hair. After a cowash I spray on a leave in conditioner, apply the coconut oil, and then seal with castor oil. My hair loves it. When I'm taking down twists I'll put coconut oil on the tips of my fingers so that I can apply it to the hair as I'm taking it a loose for a twist out.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by MeekMonique 18th November 2009, 6:33 pm

I'm sure there's no difference between EVCO and UOVCO, but there is a difference between unrefined coconut oil and refined coconut oil.
MeekMonique
MeekMonique

http://fotki.com/RoyalEmpress2

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 18th November 2009, 6:51 pm

I use the pure raw coconut oil I get from Shea N More.com or Sheaessentials.com. It changes with the temperature in the room.

After I condition my while while it's still wet I add the coconut oil to the center/crown of my hair, that part is my 4a texture. Around the edges and nap I use my Black Jamacian Cator Oil Pomade. I seal everything in with Pure Raw Shea Butter from Ghana.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 23rd November 2009, 3:26 pm

wow thanks for the research Actionactress! I use coconut oil on my body while I'm still wet from the shower, and then I towels off to nice smooth skin. I also use it in my homeade hair creams and body creams.
savvybrown
savvybrown

http://savvybrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3