CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help my toddler PLEASE!!!

5 posters

Go down

Help my toddler PLEASE!!! Empty Help my toddler PLEASE!!!

Post by Chelnmike816 12th December 2009, 5:58 am

I need help. My daughter has very thick and curly hair and she is 2 yrs old. I always have a very hard time doing her hair because she hates getting her hair done so she usually rocks a curly puff ponytail. I recently just put her hair in two strand twist with Carols Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey and I use Lusters Pink Oil occasionally. I don't wash her hair that often because its so dry. Am I using the right products? If not could you recommend a cheap product that i could use on her hair everyday and a hairstyle that will stay in for awhile. Were both in need of help.

Sorry so long
Thanks

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Help my toddler PLEASE!!! Empty Re: Help my toddler PLEASE!!!

Post by Chelnmike816 12th December 2009, 6:10 am

Chelnmike816 wrote:I need help. My daughter has very thick and curly hair and she is 2 yrs old. I always have a very hard time doing her hair because she hates getting her hair done so she usually rocks a curly puff ponytail. I recently just put her hair in two strand twist with Carols Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey and I use Lusters Pink Oil occasionally. I don't wash her hair that often because its so dry. Am I using the right products? If not could you recommend a cheap product that i could use on her hair everyday and a hairstyle that will stay in for awhile. Were both in need of help.

Sorry so long
Thanks

She's full African American. What shampoo can i use she does"nt really like to get her hair washed so i use shampoo and conditioner combined. I need help i don"t know where to start. I really want her hair to be cute and healthy

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 12th December 2009, 5:13 pm

Vitapointe, it's been our family staple for 4 generations. Everyone I know that has ever used it LOVES it. Singer Amel Larrieux uses it also.
It is a very light yet very conditioning hairdress. It's safe for everyday use & small children too.

Sorry I don't know about a shampoo, I nor my son use shampoo. The last shampoos I did use were by Nexxus, botanoil(tropical fruit scent) and therappe(sweet almost edible scent); both moisturizing and I used them on my then 2 yo nephew with very dry hair and eczema. I also don't recommend 2 in one shampoos because they have very little conditioning agents in them.

Last edited by LilMsPuddles on 12th December 2009, 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 12th December 2009, 5:58 pm

ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 12th December 2009, 6:02 pm

I take back my shampoo recommendations. I just looked at the ingredients and they have SLS in them. So as a side note don't purchase products with sulfates, silicones and petroleum byproducts(mineral oil ect.) because they will strip the hair or inhibit her hairs ability to absorb moisture thus making her hair more dry.
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Corygentri 27th December 2009, 7:54 pm

I use Suave coconut condish on my daughter as a cowash (I don't use shampoo either) I then use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration as a leave in. I detangle with a Denman brush (highly recommended for the little ones) I keep her hair wet, soak her rubberbands in olive oil before using and use Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist gel to style and control her edges. She is 3 and didn't like getting her hair done but now we make a night of it and watch TV and take a shower together - the whole 9. It is her responsibility to get all her hair items and bring them downstairs. Now she enjoys getting her hair done and gets upset when we don't do it. I do her hair twice a week. She sleeps with a silk scarf and a satin bonnet on top of that (she is a wild sleeper) Trust me - it is a process and my little one and I have come a LOOOOOOng way. I also seal her ends with coconut oil and shea butter mixed. Here are a few pics of her recent hair. I know what to do with hers - still trying to figure out mine!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I hope this helps. Also - get rid of the Lusters. I used to use that too. My daughter's hair is extremely dry and it is very short in the back so we are working on retaining growth in the back. Be encouraged and don't be afraid to experiment. Bribe them to be still or put on a cartoon they can watch. If you can - post a pic. Also the Braids beads and beyond blog is a good source as well.
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th December 2009, 1:08 pm

Corygentri, your daughter is cute. I like the last picture--DIT (diva in training with her hand on her hip).
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aliariess 13th February 2010, 10:35 am

I had the same issues with my daughter at that age, I also used 2- in one shampoos because she hated getting her hair washed. Now she's 4 and I only co-wash using suave tropical coconut or one of the HE conditioners, sometimes combining them. She doesn't really get product build-up so SLS shampoos are unnecessary. I wash it in the shower using a detachable shower head, I make sure she has toys to play with while I'm detangling, its a great distraction.

For styling I like to do things that will last at least 2 weeks or more. I do a combination of braiding/flat twisting the front and plaiting/2-strand twisting the back. I usually add beads at the end. beads help keep the style a lot longer in my experience. I learned how to cornrow and flat twist on her hair so if you don't know how to do it, you could always watch some youtube vids and practice on her hair. Until then I would experiment with doing small ponytails all over the head (as corygentri showed) and styling them differently (smaller= longer lasting ergo less styling in between washing). I will also cosign that BeadsBraidsandBeyond has great style ideas. one product I found locally that I use for styling is the Carrot oil cream from Africa's Best Organics line, it's a green and yellow container. You can probably find it at any beauty supply store. I think I paid $5 dollars for mine. It's great b/c it's cheap and it doesn't contain those nasty ingredients, petrolatum or mineral oil. I even looked up every ingredient in the item and all of them are okay for the hair, for something that is not all natural, that's pretty good and it makes my daughter's hair soooo soft. As a leavin I like to use Giovanni direct leave in conditioner, those are about $7-8 per 8 oz bottle. it's not as cheap as others but the ingredients are almost all natural and it also leaves my daughter's hair soft just after washing. I purchased mine from Whole Foods in Florida.

Usually while I'm styling we're watching a dvd or two, and have a snack handy. It usually takes me a couple of hours to do the braiding/flat twisting styles but I consider it a small sacrifice since I don't have to mess with her hair for weeks at a time...it's wonderful. she can just get up and go, no brushing necessary. one time she went a WHOLE month with the same style, I just had to moisterize regularly.

I hope this helped [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
aliariess
aliariess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum