CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Chopped....help!

4 posters

Go down

Big Chopped....help! Empty Big Chopped....help!

Post by CherryWill_1 18th March 2011, 2:17 pm

Hi everyone.
so I big chopped yesterday (after transitioning for 13 months) and I am at a loss at what to do now. My stylist gave me a twist out, which was GREAT...for the first day. Now it's the second day and my hair is in a puff. My hair is only 5 inches and I have no idea what to do with it. I scheduled a braid appointment for sunday as a back up if I didn't like my big chop but I don't want to give up so soon. I think it has potential but I don't know what to do.
I would replicate the twist out but I don't know what setting lotion to use (what's the best for 4c?)
My stylist also said I shouldn't use my current shampoo (pantene R/N moisturizing shampoo) because it's drying out my hair. (ironic)
The other products I have are:
aubre organics honeysuckle rose
yes to cucumbers leave in
giovanni direct leave in
oyin whipped pudding
shea butter
my whipped shea butter (which i probably did wrong)
quemet biologics olive somethin somethin heavy cream <-- which left my transitioning hair greasy
coconut oil

and thats about it. Im 17 with no job and a mom whose getting tired of buying me stuff, plus I'm not tryin to be a PJ (even if i had the money to be one)
my oyin seemed to be doing somthing right and giovanni direct leave in is good but doesn't moisturize.
can someone please tell me what I can do or should I just leave it in a puff. I pretty much low maintenace (lazy) so I doubt I'll be trying complicated 2 hour styles.
thank you!

CherryWill_1

Back to top Go down

Big Chopped....help! Empty Re: Big Chopped....help!

Post by Nali1987 18th March 2011, 2:54 pm

You have a lot of great products. You're not going to learn what works in your hair without experimenting and THAT takes a while. I suggest washing with a conditioner or mild shampoo like the Curls line, then using the Giovanni leave in. You can twist your hair with the Alma Olive Heavy Cream and then wear twist out. But remember A LITTLE goes a long way. I literally dip one finger in and use it for a twist. On youtube you can find other TWA styles. Even on CurlyNIKKi. It's going to take a while for you to figure out what works for your hair but eventually you will. Goodluck. sunny
Nali1987
Nali1987

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 19th March 2011, 6:56 pm

I agree you have a ton of good products! I was going to suggest youtube for suggestions. What are your skills like? Can you twist it yourself? Fingercoils are alos cute....Check out the stylin and profilin thread too. Good luck!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 20th March 2011, 12:16 pm

First, congratulations on your long transition and your BC!!! I agree with the ladies. Those products are great ones. My biggest question is what products worked when you transitioned?(start there--assuming they worked, how did they work, how were they incorporated in your regimen?) My 2nd question is what styles worked during your transition? Transitioning that long tells me you found things that worked for you.
This is a new part of the journey and I know it is not your comfort zone YET, but moisture, realistic expectations, and patience with allow you and your hair to work together as a great team.

Moisture:
Continually assess your hair for moisture and make sure it is well hydrated.
Did you ask your hair dresser what she recommends. Consider her suggestions and evaluate them based on the ingredients in what she recommends. Arm yourself with the knowledge of ingredients that are potentially drying/harming.

Expectations:
It will take time (trial and error) to see what works for you. Give yourself that time and don't hold yourself to unreasonable expectations as a newbie natural.
All styles don't look great on everyone, it takes time to masters styles, and some we just may not master. If you try to style your hair like some YTer and it doesn't come out exactly like her hair, don't see that as you failed. Keep trying or also you may modify it using your creativity and it may actually look better! Always have a back-up style plan and never try a first time style for an important function where you want to look especially good.
You said your hair is in a "puff"as if that is a bad thing. Great twist outs should = great puffs
2nd day hair is a challenge. There are so many factors, including how you prepare your hair at night. Also, how long did the twists stay in before transitioning to the twist out. You will see many, if not the majority of ppl who wears twist outs, do some form of re-twisting at night. Some use the "pineapple" method to retain the definition (do an internal search and you will see comments about that) A quick look around this forum and others will show you are not alone, tons of ppl are looking for 2nd or 3rd day hair. Very Happy

Patience.

YT, blogs, style and profilin section of this forum are some places to look at others and their suggestions, trials, tribulations, and successes.

There are all kinds of natural gels, wrap lotions, and natural oriented hairsprays, and other holding products. I'm sure others will chime in with their holding successes.

Questions - How often will you cleanse your hair and how long would you like your twist outs to last?

YT - One of my favorite YTers with very helpful info regarding your post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWaH8GIbLrM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qSU7qTjAis&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Bueno suerte!

Last edited by naturallynola on 20th March 2011, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added another point)

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down