CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dreading protective styles

+7
Jo Somebody
curlytee
krazy coils
elitebeauty13
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
Janique
CeeCee757
11 posters

Go down

Dreading protective styles Empty Dreading protective styles

Post by CeeCee757 12th March 2011, 5:24 pm

I'm fairly new to the natural hair community. I did my big chop on Feb 5th and I'm learning day by day. After researching different sites and watching an abundance of YouTube videos, it seems that in order to grow long hair you must wear protective styles.

My problem is that I DON'T want to wear wigs, braids, or weaves. I really can't stand for anything to be in my hair. Almost every time I see a video on protective styles it's one of those 3, so now I'm dreading the whole process when my hair gets longer.

I'm thinking my only option is the ever so popular two strand twist. If anybody has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
CeeCee757
CeeCee757

Back to top Go down

Dreading protective styles Empty Re: Dreading protective styles

Post by Janique 12th March 2011, 5:31 pm

You don't have to use protective styles to grow your hair long. Some people find it helps while others leave there hair out and they still manage to retain length.Some protective style because sometimes less manipulation is good for them and they don't like to mess with their hair alot. Some people do it to protect their ends from the elements. It really depends on what's best for your hair.

Here is a link to Mazerati on fotki. She rarely protective styles:
http://members.fotki.com/Soliel185/about/
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 12th March 2011, 6:20 pm

Yea protective styles aren't a must for everyone. I rarely PS and when I do it is only french braids. I usually leave my hair out or in a puff. I just make sure to moisturize and seal my hair regularly and to be gentle with it and not manipulate it too much. Actually in my case PS take a lot more manipulation and have to be re-done frequently b/c my hair does not hold styles very well. So for me a wng is less manipulation. So far my wng regimen works for me. My hair grows 1/2 in a month and judging by measurement I have retained all of my length. As long as you are willing to put in the time to care for your hair either way I think it would be fine. Your hair will tell you whether it is fit for PS or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by elitebeauty13 12th March 2011, 6:25 pm

I agree with Janique and CrAvInG_CuRlZ . Protective styles are not necessary too retain length. However, in my case I have found that protective styles have helped to keep my hair healthy, thus allowing greater retention than before, but I dont use them as my only option. I tend to have a low manipulation regime, which includes various protective styles, as well as braid/twist outs, and any style that doesn't put a lot of strain on my hair. IMO, if you handle your hair gently, regularly deep condition, moisturize & seal, and use protein as needed, the health and retention you seek will be there.
elitebeauty13
elitebeauty13

http://elitebeauty13.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 12th March 2011, 8:21 pm

Janique offered a really good example of Soleil185 who rarely does protective styles. Another person is Cynthiarf on Youtube, her has has really grown with mainly wng's and I think she wears twists in her hair every now and then. Check out her channel :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzcdLd3tStE
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by curlytee 12th March 2011, 8:26 pm

Welcome an Congrats on the BC. Protective Styling is great. but it's not for everyone. I like doing my hair and learning new ways to style it. I used protective styles when I wanted to give my hair a rest. Which it hasn't done since I started letting my hair grow natural.

Just moisture, moisture, seal, moisture, moisture, and be gentle.

As for styling the hair looks different with twist outs and braid outs try alternating between the two, headband, braid fro hawks (I'm to old for this but my daughter rocks them) and then there are the bantu knots

Good Luck,
curlytee
curlytee

Back to top Go down

Post by CeeCee757 12th March 2011, 9:08 pm

First, I would like to say that everybody who posted a response has beautiful hair. I can't wait for my hair to grow.lol I also feel 100% better knowing that protective styles aren't the holy grail method to retaining length. Thank you so much ladies for all of your feedback.
CeeCee757
CeeCee757

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody 13th March 2011, 3:16 am

I do wear protective styles, but I use my own hair. you can have braids without extensions!
Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 13th March 2011, 3:53 am

I never in my life wore a wig or weave and haven't had braids with extensions since the '90s. My protectives styles are mostly buns only because my hair is long enough for it. I do PS when the weather is beyond is cold where I am (or traveling to) and the dry, cold air destroys my hair. It also helps to keep my hair off of wool scarves and sweaters which can cause breakage.

I avoided buns for a while because I thought it would look "strange" on me. I finally gave in.

Dry Bun

Dry Bun - from the front

Twits and braids make me look like a child so I avoid those...
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 13th March 2011, 4:12 am

I refuse to wear protective styles.

For me, some of them would be more damaging than just wearing my hair out
(such as a bun- pulling my hair back would wreak havoc on my edges,
a wig is too hot & makes me itch,
braids break my hair terribly).

So after 8 months (YAY!!),
I cannot complain of my progress
because I have retained growth nicely.
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by ChocBeauty 14th March 2011, 12:13 pm

I'm like you. When I first bc'd I couldn't do wigs etc. It just wasn't me. I just tried to keep it moisturized. I learned more as time past to be gentle and kind to my hair. When I learned to do that, my hair really grew.

ChocBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 14th March 2011, 1:44 pm

You can also try low manipulative styles like the twistouts, braid outs, and banding. These styles will stretch your hair decreasing the risk for single strand knots and breakage.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down