CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Do You Henna?

5 posters

Go down

How Do You Henna? Empty How Do You Henna?

Post by vgreen350 28th February 2011, 2:12 pm

I am going to apply my first henna treatment today. I have a few questions about how you henna so, here they are:
1. Do you apply henna to wet hair?
2. Do you recommend henna gloss or regular henna applications?
3. What is your recommended henna mix?
4. Do I really have to let henna sit for 8-9 hours?
5. What is the frequency that you should henna (i.e. daily, weekly, monthly, bi-monthly)?
6. How long should I let henna sit on my head?
7. What is the best way to remove the henna?
Thanks in advance for all of your feedback. This site and the people that frequent this site are a great help for natural newbies like me.

vgreen350

Back to top Go down

How Do You Henna? Empty Re: How Do You Henna?

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 1st March 2011, 4:04 pm

Hi there! Here's how I henna

1. I apply to freshly washed and detangled, damp hair.
2. I do regular full henna applications.
3. I mix 100g Duhan henna 2tbs amla powder 1 can of warmed coconut milk and about 2tbs honey (after dye release).
4. No. I use Dulhan henna and it dye releases in 2.5-3 hrs.
5. I started hennaing 1x/wk for a month then moved to every other wk for a month and now I use 1x/month. but you can use henna as much or as little as you like it won't harm your hair.
6. I let it sit for 3-4 hrs and then rinse. Works just fine.
7. I first soak my hair in a bathtub full of lukewarm water to loosen and remove a large part of the henna. Then I turn on the tub and let the faucet power wash my hair till the water runs clear. Then I get in the shower and co-wash about 3-4x to get the rest out.

Hope this helped
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)

Back to top Go down

How Do You Henna? Empty How Do You Henna?

Post by naturalhair429 1st March 2011, 4:40 pm

1. I apply right after I shampoo my hair and towel dry. Now to save on the time this process cuts into my day, I mix my henna and pre-poo before going to bed ( 100gms Henna to warm Green Tea, cover with plastic wrap and let sit over night) I use Dulhan as well and the box says to let sit 4-6 hours(dye release is a lot sooner than that though). I pre-poo my hair with Vatika or EVOO or EVCO, cover it with a plastic cap and go to sleep. When I wake up , I just pile on some conditioner, section into 4 parts and detangle my hair. Then I shampoo it, rinse it, towel dry and add my henna.
2. I do regular full henna applications, right now once a week and will switch to 2x a month starting in April. I will probably stick to 2x a month after that because I really do enjoy it and for my length it only takes 1 box (100gms) which is $1.99.
3. I mix 100g Duhan henna with as much Green tea as I need to get it to the consistency I want. I brew 3 teabags in 2 cups of water. I used about 1 1/2 cups to mix last time.
4. It depends on the Henna but Dulhan does not. The box says 4-6 hours.
5. Henna is all natural and your hair only benefits from it. It won't harm it but depending on the brand of Henna it can be drying so do it as often or as little as you like.
6. I let it sit for 4-6 hrs and then rinse. I have slept overnight with it on for 8 hours. It was fine each time.....I didn't notice any difference in leaving it on less time but I would not leave it on any less than 4 hours.
7. I filled my kitchen sink up with warm water and leaned over on each side submerging my hair into the water,keeping it out of my ears. It began to just melt off my hair. I used my gloved hand to swish it more and then did the other side. No kidding it only took 2 sink fulls to rinse my hair. If there is any more color to rinse out it will come out when you DC.
naturalhair429
naturalhair429

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 2nd March 2011, 8:26 pm

vgreen350 wrote:I am going to apply my first henna treatment today. I have a few questions about how you henna so, here they are:
1. Do you apply henna to wet hair?
2. Do you recommend henna gloss or regular henna applications?
3. What is your recommended henna mix?
4. Do I really have to let henna sit for 8-9 hours?
5. What is the frequency that you should henna (i.e. daily, weekly, monthly, bi-monthly)?
6. How long should I let henna sit on my head?
7. What is the best way to remove the henna?
Thanks in advance for all of your feedback. This site and the people that frequent this site are a great help for natural newbies like me.
1) I apply henna to freshly shampooed hair, preferably with a clarifying shampoo (e.g. Dr. Bronner's mixed with Suave shampoo). My hair is damp and sectioned off for easy application.
2) I need to color my grays monthly so a henna application is for me. The gloss fades after a few washings.
3) I have access to a lot of Ayurvedic powders so I mix 100 grams (3.5 oz) Jamila 2009 BAQ henna, 2 tablespoons of Hesh Amla, 1 tablespoon of Hesh Brahmi, 1 tablespoon of Hesh Maka, mix in room temperature spring water (sometimes I add green tea) slowly then add 1 tablespoon of Plantation Black strap molasses. I mix in my henna bowl with a plastic fork and then cover and place in a warm area and allow dye release (12 hours). I then place in freezer until I'm ready to use it.
4) I have left my henna on my head for 5-6 hours and received auburn/brassy color to my grays
5) I henna monthly
6) If you are going for color for gray hair, then 5-6 hours minimum. Some curlies have left it on for 2 hours. I have done overnight hennas a well because I was tired. I prefer the 5-6 hour method.
7) My hair is usually moist when I remove the saran wrap from my hair. I get into the shower and kneel down with the shower head on massage mode. I let the water pound on my head without touching my hair for a few minutes with gloves on of course, while I watch the henna wash off. The massage method normally removes the majority of the henna. I then gently massage my hair and get out any remainder of the henna. I then have my conditioner ready and give my hair a quick wash with a cheapie conditioner like VO5 moisturizing conditioner. I then do a quick shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo like VO5 moisturizing shampoo or Suave for Dry Hair.
Cool I then blot my hair gently and do a deep condition mixing Aussie Moist Conditioner with Hello Hydration Herbal Essence and add 1-2 tablespoons of Black Jamaican castor oil. I put on my plastic caps, sit under the electric heating cap for an hour and then rinse out with the Aussie Moist or Hello Hydration and style. flower

Last edited by envizionj on 3rd March 2011, 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanija 2nd March 2011, 11:14 pm

Wow, envizionj you always give such thorough instructions. I'm going to make a copy so I can follow to the letter. Didn't get to henna last night but looking forward to it sometime during spring break which starts this Friday.
Alanija
Alanija

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down