CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gone to far?

+2
FalconTress
NickiK
6 posters

Go down

Gone to far? Empty Gone to far?

Post by NickiK 2nd February 2011, 3:51 pm

Okay ladies this topic is called "Gone to far" i was talking to my boss the other day and she is now transitioning into natural. She has experienced my natural journey with me and i was telling her that its not good to wash you hair with "Sulfate" in it and that grease(petroleum) was not good either. So we keep talking and she finally said "I think we have gone too far now(black woman with natural hair) some of this stuff is unnecessary because my mom used blue magic and etc on my hair when i was younger and it grew" And i thought about it and laughed because honestly my bestfriend and I just had this conversation the previous week on how we may have to go back to certain methods that our mothers used when we were little to promote healthy hair. To certain extent i agree with my boss about her comment...now oils do not work for me as a moisture and I cant say i trust that shea butter will either...I do think that a lot of things dont work for everyone for me i personally think that grease and a little sulfate shampoo would work for me...because i do have medicated shampoo for my eczema that contains sulfate in it and that the only thing that helps clear it up. I was so caught up in everyone saying no dont use sulfate shampoo or certain products that I was not going to use my medicated shampoo to help clear my eczema because i kind of felt bad as a natural hair girl using what i called permed products...lol And i honestly believe that my hair misses grease and needs it for my hair to grow (IMO) but i question have we gone to far as naturalistas when it comes to products because i see people paying high prices for oils, shampoo's, conditioners, etc and in actuality the more simpler maybe the better? Just a thought what do you think

NickiK

Back to top Go down

Gone to far? Empty Re: Gone to far?

Post by FalconTress 2nd February 2011, 6:49 pm

That is an interesting question.
Instead of saying we have gone too far, I would say we have come full circle. If we went all the way back to colonial times on this continent and during the time spent before that in our native land and the countries/islands in between, we wouldn't find any blue magic, only water and unprocessed plant and/or animal products (would be available) for our scalp and hair. So perhaps our hair grew during our youth in spite of the use of blue magic, etc.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody 3rd February 2011, 5:07 pm

Absolutely agree with FalconTress! However, I'll still say though, I KNOW there are some people out there whose hair responds better to the Blue Magic+ products rather than the more natural products and my idea of the natural movement is that women learn what works for their hair instead of being afraid of it and following a crowd. If Blue Magic works, I hope no ladies are afraid to keep using it.
Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Back to top Go down

Post by TXCHOCLTE 4th February 2011, 2:41 pm

luv the topic NickiK...i must agree...I've spent countless hours on the internet surfing natural hair blogs & forums since I started on this natural hair journey...some of these women act like it's a cult...I, myself try to use all natural products and thus pay a lot for them...this is mainly because these same products were being used by my stylist when I was relaxed...the main thing to consider is what works for one MAY NOT work for another and if those products that are "so-called" cheep and bad for natural hair work for you and keep your hair healthy, then by all means, I say keep on using 'em...
TXCHOCLTE
TXCHOCLTE

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 4th February 2011, 3:33 pm

FalconTress wrote:That is an interesting question.
Instead of saying we have gone too far, I would say we have come full circle. If we went all the way back to colonial times on this continent and during the time spent before that in our native land and the countries/islands in between, we wouldn't find any blue magic, only water and unprocessed plant and/or animal products (would be available) for our scalp and hair. So perhaps our hair grew during our youth in spite of the use of blue magic, etc.

GOLDEN! I will simply add, when we look at our "beloved natural"" products we see shea, castor, olive oil, coconut oil, rosemary, nettle, horsetail, water, etc. Notice how all the great oils are full of omega 3, 6, 9s and all come from nuts, seeds, and fruits? Also, notice that most of these nuts and seeds are from African countries and tropical climates like the rainforest (murumuru, kukui, etc.) Do you see what I see?

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by NickiK 4th February 2011, 8:45 pm

TXCHOCLTE wrote:luv the topic NickiK...i must agree...I've spent countless hours on the internet surfing natural hair blogs & forums since I started on this natural hair journey...some of these women act like it's a cult...I, myself try to use all natural products and thus pay a lot for them...this is mainly because these same products were being used by my stylist when I was relaxed...the main thing to consider is what works for one MAY NOT work for another and if those products that are "so-called" cheep and bad for natural hair work for you and keep your hair healthy, then by all means, I say keep on using 'em...

Thank you finally someone understand where i was coming from lol...But seriously i see why a lot of people are kind of hesitant to become natural for 1.the expense 2.the attitudes of some naturalistas towards being natural 3. they don't know what to use on their heads. I feel like a lot people feel to realize that not everything works for everyone and that their definition of being natural is not the same as the next person. Now for those who can afford and try all these products good and for those who can not that's good also. Being natural should be a fun journey and not a journey where your worry every freaking second about what and what not to put in your hair. I've made a person decision to listen to my hair and not what other people says work for theirs. What upsets me is when certain people criticize you for doing what you feel is best for your hair...now for example :A lot of naturals attitudes towards other natural women who choose to wear weaves( sew ins, braids, and wigs) for protective styling or their attitudes towards women who choose to press their hair from my understand being natural means being chemical free lol Like Himay10nece said "what works for you dont work for her 4G hair lol)

NickiK

Back to top Go down

Post by TXCHOCLTE 4th February 2011, 11:00 pm

NickiK...i am still ROTFLMBAO at Himay10nence...but yeah, going natural can definitely be expensive in the beginning because you never know what's going to work with YOUR natural texture so you're trying a lot of different things...i think your staples should be a good shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, oil, butter...and they don't have to be anything high priced...you'd be amazed as how many say their hair thrives while using $1 shampoo/conditioner...i think my hair is bourgie cuz it just laughs at me when i use that stuff...personally, i had a lot of encouragement from a few natural sistahs that i worked with while transitioning & being a newbie...i find a lot of "power to the people/fist in the air" foolishness on these blogs & forums from the rest of the world...you will be just fine by listening to YOUR hair...and just keep laughing at the Natural Natzis!!!
TXCHOCLTE
TXCHOCLTE

Back to top Go down

Post by NickiK 5th February 2011, 4:43 pm

TXCHOCLTE wrote:NickiK...i am still ROTFLMBAO at Himay10nence...but yeah, going natural can definitely be expensive in the beginning because you never know what's going to work with YOUR natural texture so you're trying a lot of different things...i think your staples should be a good shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, oil, butter...and they don't have to be anything high priced...you'd be amazed as how many say their hair thrives while using $1 shampoo/conditioner...i think my hair is bourgie cuz it just laughs at me when i use that stuff...personally, i had a lot of encouragement from a few natural sistahs that i worked with while transitioning & being a newbie...i find a lot of "power to the people/fist in the air" foolishness on these blogs & forums from the rest of the world...you will be just fine by listening to YOUR hair...and just keep laughing at the Natural Natzis!!!

Thanks hun and lol at your hair being bougie lol girl i dont know mines maybe that too. And yes as a newbie you do try a lot products. Im just enjoying my natural hair journey and cant wait to see the finish product.

NickiK

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 6th February 2011, 3:53 pm

Its all about trial and error. I used petro when my hair was pressed, curled, flat-ironed. Hair Rep, Blue Magic, Royal Crown was PERFECT for putting a 400 degree iron it. The downside was the fact I needed a sulfate shampoo to wash it out and I had breakouts on my back and face from it. Yes my hair grew, but was it healthy?

There is no way I would put that on my natural hair today.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by NickiK 6th February 2011, 3:58 pm

CarlaAR wrote:Its all about trial and error. I used petro when my hair was pressed, curled, flat-ironed. Hair Rep, Blue Magic, Royal Crown was PERFECT for putting a 400 degree iron it. The downside was the fact I needed a sulfate shampoo to wash it out and I had breakouts on my back and face from it. Yes my hair grew, but was it healthy?

There is no way I would put that on my natural hair today.

True about the petro i just think my hair needs it for the winter but when its warm oils will def be major. I love your hair in your profile picture how long have you been natural?

NickiK

Back to top Go down

Post by NickiK 6th February 2011, 3:58 pm

im sorry i see you have been natural for 8 years lol

NickiK

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 6th February 2011, 4:16 pm

NickiK wrote:im sorry i see you have been natural for 8 years lol

Its OK, LOL. I've cut my hair quite a few times over the years - finally leaving it alone...

When I need something heavier for the winter, I use shea and other butters, especially for my ends so I do understand.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum