CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shikakai

+11
Karameldiva1978
naturalkitty'10
naturallyme13
Moni
ChrsLvsBks
jlowman1
BreezyBaby
Intelligentbeauty
CurlyMo
mojitochica
Divinebeauty87
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shikakai - Page 2 Empty Re: Shikakai

Post by mojitochica 17th January 2010, 6:21 pm

Moni, the sift quality will depend on the brand you buy. I personally like Hesh. I wouldn't wash with the powders unless you plan on steeping the powders and making a tea for a rinse, which might not work well with powders. You could try herbs though. Most people make pastes with ayurvedic powders and apply like a relaxer, but I don't think you'd get it all out of your twists. HTH, good luck.
mojitochica
mojitochica

http://whatsnew.fotki.com/mojitochica/

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme13 21st January 2010, 12:57 am

I am so glad that I found this thread!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I have been searching for a conditioning treatment similar to henna, without the coloring effect and have decided to venture into the ayurvedic powders.

I have Brahmi, Shikakai, and Arita powder, but will pick up some Amla soon. If anyone knows how to mix these powders please let me know.

I do plan on DCing after using the powders just need a mix recipe...

Thanks Curlies!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturallyme13
naturallyme13

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 22nd January 2010, 1:00 am

Aritha and shikakai are cleansing powders. I recommend oiling your hair before applying and mix with amla and brahmi. A good mix would be 1/4 of the amla or brahmi and a tablespoon or two of the aritha or shikakai.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme13 22nd January 2010, 2:37 am

@ChrsLvsBks-- Thanks, I will do that! I was wondering if you could answer a few more questions for me (sorry for the bombardment!!)

*How long do you think I should leave it on? I was thinking maybe an hour or so, or is that too long?

*Is it anything like mixing henna where it needs to be prepared hours in advance?

*I should only mix the aritha or shikakai with the brahmi (but not both)??

Once again, thanks for the advice and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your style in your avatar!!!
naturallyme13
naturallyme13

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalkitty'10 3rd March 2010, 7:53 pm

@DivineBeauty87 i pre-poo with avocado overnight and then add the powders to wash my hair. i think the pre-poo helps the powders not to dry my hair out
@Moni when I make the powders into a paste with water, I still get a lot of grit in my hair and have to use a cheap conditioner to get it out.........so i wouldn't recommend doing it with twists in
naturalkitty'10
naturalkitty'10

http://naturalkitty.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Divinebeauty87 5th March 2010, 1:51 am

Ok, I tried this again...my mix has less shikakai and aritha with double the amount of amla and brahmi. First, I used vatika oil overnight before applying the shikakai mix. Much better! This is definitely a treatment I will continue doing. My hair seems much stronger now. When I washed it again a week later my hair feel super soft....the softest I've felt in awhile, so it must have been this mix. I'm happy
Divinebeauty87
Divinebeauty87

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 12th March 2010, 4:03 am

One tip on the powders--if you want to eliminate or drastically remove the grit, try to run it thru your coffee maker and it will make a tea. Allow to cool and pour on your hair, manipulate some and rinse. To get your hair soft, please follow up this treatment with a deep conditioner. Amla and shikakai worked wonders for me also when I was using it weekly growing out my hair. Since its been in a pixie cut for the past 8 months, I've only done henna treatments with deep conditioners. However, now that I'm transitioning, the powder mix is one of my aggressive growth aids for health and length. This stuff works!
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by adriansmomadrienne 14th October 2010, 12:37 pm

shikakai shampoo bars are so very awesome... i was impressed with how my hair felt afterwards.. soft and "cushioney".... my hair is literally a Huge Q-TIP!! But its my Huge Q-Tip.. curl definition is completely not an issue for me b/c I have none.lol.. well only when its wet.. but I just applied a little conditioner and worked it through and then rubbed the shikakai shampoo bar and it was fine.. no dry hair just fluffy Q-Tip Hair.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

adriansmomadrienne

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 14th October 2010, 1:56 pm

Divinebeauty87 wrote:Ok, I tried this again...my mix has less shikakai and aritha with double the amount of amla and brahmi. First, I used vatika oil overnight before applying the shikakai mix. Much better! This is definitely a treatment I will continue doing. My hair seems much stronger now. When I washed it again a week later my hair feel super soft....the softest I've felt in awhile, so it must have been this mix. I'm happy

This was just what I was going to post.. To oil your hair b4 applying the powders.. Never use Shikakai alone I've heard using this alone can really cause harm to your hair. If you use this one make use you mix it with another powder..

This is how I use to mix mine..
1 tbsp Shikakai
1 tbsp Alma
1 tbsp Brahami

I would mix this with warm/hot water and let that sit for a minute if the water was hot..

My hair would already be oiled.. I would pour the mixture over my hair and rinse and then co-wash with Tressemme.. My hair would be soft after the co-wash and then I would DC..

I also used this

Pre-Poo
1 cup or conditioner (moisturzing)
3 - 5 tbsp Shakaki
2 -3 tbsp of Alma
2-3 tbsp of Brahmi

Add a little water to the powders and then mix with the conditioner add this to your hair while you hair is oiled.. Leave on with a plastic cap for as long as you like and then rinse and co-wash.. I DC afterwards.. I got this recipe online and she stated to use henna well I didn't have any henna so I substitute that for conditioner and she called it a Brahmi Growth Pack

This is the recipe I got online and I never tried this one..

ingredients:
brahmi powder - 5to 10 tsp.
amla powder - 3 tsp.
natural henna powder - 1 cup

Mix the ingredients by adding water and make a paste. Before applying this brahmi hair growth pack on hair apply some oil. Use coconut oil or olive oil according to your choice. Then apply the pack all over hair and scalp. Wait for half an hour. Natural henna powder may give a light brownish tint on hair. Wash it off with water. If you have more hair increase the quantity of ingredients.

Apply this brahmi hair growth pack once in a week.

letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by AdrianaSFleury 26th March 2011, 11:05 pm

After preparing the mixture, do guys apply in throughout the hair or just on the roots?
AdrianaSFleury
AdrianaSFleury

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 27th March 2011, 6:28 am

AdrianaSFleury wrote:After preparing the mixture, do guys apply in throughout the hair or just on the roots?

I put it all over my hair roots and all
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 27th March 2011, 6:18 pm

Adriana, like Letha, I apply to full head of hair from root to tip. I would mix w/ amla and brahmi in a homemade hibiscus tea or sometimes mix in a conditioner and cleanse. This is what I used to do. ACV is my routine cleanser now and once a month, clay treatment.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2