CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this too much hair to lose?

+6
misskris
naturallynola
cagebird
Lynnieluve
krazy coils
meepmeep1101
10 posters

Go down

Is this too much hair to lose? Empty Is this too much hair to lose?

Post by meepmeep1101 25th January 2011, 1:04 am

So I detangled my hair today. Last time I detangled was Thursday I think, but I think Friday?
This is how much hair I lost. I never paid attention to it because its not like I comb my hair every day. I comb my hair ever other day to every 2 days, but this time it was a bit longer..I only went this long because I was awaiting a new conditioner. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And this is my comb. I like using this comb, I have tried a wider toothed comb, but that hurts.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Is this too much hair to lose? Empty Re: Is this too much hair to lose?

Post by Guest 25th January 2011, 1:08 am

yea, i mean to each his own....i don't think it necessarily matters what size comb u use as long as it's not a rat tail comb (BAD on natural hair)..um i don't know if that's considered alot of hair to be lost or whatever, but um everyones hair is different...maybe u have alot of damaged hair and maybe u should try some deep conditioning treatments or hot oil treatments; somthing, to see if the shedding will improve Wink hope someone else responds b/c i'm not by ny means an expert on shedding and things of that nature~

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 25th January 2011, 1:29 am

I really don't think its bad I guess. I still managed 4 inches in 6 months. hmmm...oh..and the numbers on my picture. I was tryna count hairs. since we lose an avg of 150 a day. so next time I think I'm gunna sit down and count to see what they add up to..lol
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 25th January 2011, 9:47 am

I agree that everyone's hair is different and everyone shed's a different amount. For me this would be normal because I've removed this amount or more hair than this when detangling.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 25th January 2011, 9:52 am

That's not too much hair to lose. That about the amount I shed. Start keeping up with how much hair you shed. I remember a while back, Kimmaytube would put her shed hair in a ziploc back and put the date on it to see if she lost the same amount of hair each time she detangled.

You'll have to figure out what's "normal" for you.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by cagebird 25th January 2011, 10:15 am

Lynnieluve wrote:That's not too much hair to lose. That about the amount I shed. Start keeping up with how much hair you shed. I remember a while back, Kimmaytube would put her shed hair in a ziploc back and put the date on it to see if she lost the same amount of hair each time she detangled.

You'll have to figure out what's "normal" for you.
Wow thanks that is a great idea. I will start keeping my hair in a ziploc too.
cagebird
cagebird

http://www.darkerthanbrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 25th January 2011, 11:02 am

All great tips!
I especially endorse Lynnie's idea. I have been keeping my hair in a ziplock since September, in preparation for when I eventually decided to henna. That was my original reason and later realized it was a good way to keep track of hair shedding. Now, Saturday, I loss what I consider tons of hair, probably a little less than half of what you loss. Normally, I shed just a few strands. I noticed the last 3 weeks, more strands, but nothing like Saturday. Not even close. We must remember, there is a hair growth cycle, though the phases are the same, the length of the cycle and amount of hair loss varies from person-to-person. There are some posts here and just google it and go to a reputable, science-based source(s). Now, I am overdue for a henna, which I will do this wkend. If my hair continues to shed alot post henna, I will do a garlic oil treatment and/or use a garlic conditioner like alter ego or make my own. I have to dig for the YTuber who does both, but I can and post later. This lady cuts up garlic and pours oil over it. She lets it sit for about 48 hours, then uses it on her hair. It is said garlic is very helpful for increased hair shedding.

So, keep observing, determine you individual norm, and go from there.
As always, if the shedding is extensive for a long time, see your doctor. Medications, stress, illness, etc. can be the culprit. Keep us posted.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 25th January 2011, 1:22 pm

I really wanna do henna, but am scared. I dont know where to buy it from online or how much I need. Sad Can anyone help me with that?
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 25th January 2011, 2:09 pm

How much hair do you have and how long is it? It may be normal amount of loss if you have a lot/or longer hair and if you don't comb it everyday like you said. But if this were coming out of a TWA and it's combed everyday, I'd be concerned. If you have more hair than it may be fine. You gotta remember that we lose about 100-150 hairs a day so that double in 2 days and so on. I wouldn't be alarmed.
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 25th January 2011, 3:23 pm

I agree with the above posters. My hair is longish and I only detangle ever 4-6 days. All that hair adds up! As long as my hair is conditioned, moisturized and I am implementing proper techniques (lots of conditioner/oil/leave-in, using the right tools, hold my hair at the base, etc. I have less to worry about).
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 25th January 2011, 6:24 pm

Meep, I think this link will answer many of your questions and you can see the responses by the owner to people who are interested in henna for hair. http://hennablogspot.com/common-mistakes-and-tips-henna-for-hair/

I get my henna from this place, hennasooq.com. Some ppl order and some people on the forum get their henna at a local Indian/Asian/Middle Eastern store. My comfort level is with this vendor b/c of many, many conversations and emails. I have very sensitive skin and I feel comfortable doing it this way. There is a question and response re: how much you need and that is based on hair length and hair thickness. Don't be scared. It really is easy BUT do you homework so you are 1) comfortable and 2) not sending out SOS post as you are about to henna or if the henna is already in. Keep the henna mix SIMPLE-- henna powder and either water or a tea such as green tea, chamomile, black tea, red zinger tea is as simple as it gets. I do not advise using lemon. The liquid is a "mild" acid so the dye will be released from the henna. Note: I add amla powder to mine b/c my curl pattern loosens easily (3 - 4 Tablespoons per 100g henna). Lemon is a strong acid and very drying. I pre-poo with coconut oil overnight, but I do rinse it out before I henna b/c I don't want to dilute the dye uptake. I do a quick homemade mix with bananas also for moisture. Consequently, I have a lot of moisture in my hair and I have never experienced dryness with this or any other powder or clay treatment. I henna for color and strengthening. If you are interested in color, I don't suggest adding alot of things that will minimize color uptake. If you are using the henna strictly for conditioning purposes, then add whatever you want. But I still say keep it simple. The biggie is to do a thorough moisturizing conditioning after the henna with a stellar conditioner. Don't short cut this last step. There are several henna brands. Familiarize yourself. Don't select a brand just because it may be the one the masses are using. This is the down and dirty. Check out this site and also hennaforhair.com If you have more questions, we henna heads are here and the "henna" section of this forum would be the appropriate place to post so more henna heads can respond. Bueno suerte!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 25th January 2011, 7:15 pm

Thankyou so much. There is so much to know. Sad
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 25th January 2011, 7:32 pm

Does anyone do a henna gloss?
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 25th January 2011, 7:35 pm

meepmeep1101 wrote:Does anyone do a henna gloss?

I do and it works very well on my hair. I get the benefits of henna without the potential dryness.

@naturallynola - Thanks for posting that info and website - great tips!
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 25th January 2011, 8:37 pm

I agree with Naturally regarding hennasooq.com. Khadija, who is think is the owner has excellent customer service. She responded to my many emails and I even called her a few times. I also know that some people order their henna from butters-n-bars.com with excellent results and customer service.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 25th January 2011, 9:27 pm

You are welcome, ladies. Yes, AJ I agree, Khadija is fantastic. She is very knowledgeable and her skin henna designs are slamming!

Meep, you are right. There is a lot to know, but you have all the time in the world, so don't get caught up in the hype before you arm yourself with lots of info. BTW, I read, studied, and communicated with Khadija for over 3 months before I actually did my first henna. Not saying that period of time is necessary, but I had no reservations or fears when I hennaed.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25th January 2011, 10:41 pm

omg and speaking of shedding, my hair shedded a good mount last night after i took out my protective style (quickweave) little curly hairs were everything where lol Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 27th January 2011, 1:19 am

OMG you guys. lol. I washed my hair today. its been about 52 hours since I last cowashed. And I bought a Denman d3 brush to just test it out. I thought I would hate it but I didnt!..Except I think I did murder on my scalp...I'm naturally heavy handed. Sad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Look at how much came out this time! YAY
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 29th January 2011, 10:05 am

This is a great post. I'm always so worried that I am losing too much hair. Thanks for posting. Also, I love the suggestion to keep in a ziplock bag to see how much hair losing each time I detangle. I will try that.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 29th January 2011, 10:15 pm

@ the OP: Have you tried the tangle teaser? It's amazing! I don't usually lose a lot of hair but after a really bad matting incident, I decided to invest. Bottom line: it really works amazingly for cutting down the detangling time and the shed hair and the ten bucks invested is gonna last forever. I would swear 5 inches of my hair on this product, it's just that good!!!
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down