CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dr. Oz Show

+11
Sebastain13
1FlySista
Karyn
Lynnieluve
Ebbz
TLog77
letha
FalconTress
Ambitious_Tiff
Niqui36
MomnWife
15 posters

Go down

Dr. Oz Show Empty Dr. Oz Show

Post by MomnWife 8th December 2010, 12:50 pm

Did anyone happen to catch Dr. Oz today? I was flipping through channels and happened to get a glimpse of it. I was stunned on how bad chemicals really were. It just gives me more incentive to stay natural.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dangers-hair-straighteners-pt-1
MomnWife
MomnWife

http://www.youravon.com/dsumner

Back to top Go down

Dr. Oz Show Empty Re: Dr. Oz Show

Post by Niqui36 8th December 2010, 1:31 pm

I saw that! I was thinking of starting a topic on it too. lol! His show is always so informative.
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 8th December 2010, 1:32 pm

The video is not working for me! Can someone break down what happened?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 8th December 2010, 1:39 pm

The video is not working for me!
Me either, it says it is unavailable.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 8th December 2010, 2:12 pm

I have his show recording each day and I don't even get to watch it like I should because I am so tired when I get home.. The video worked for me I"m watching it now
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by TLog77 8th December 2010, 6:24 pm

Yes, video no longer available. What did they say?
TLog77
TLog77

http://www.purplefabric.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 8th December 2010, 7:03 pm

I wonder if the lye would have had the same affect if the paper was dry??? And i'm asking this because our hair is not wet when we put a relaxer on it. Just a thought though.

It shocked me to see people getting the blowouts and wearing masks. If I have to wear a gas mask to get something done to my hair...I can live without it. My suitemate has been relaxer free for months and does a modified brazilian blowout on herself using just the comb, heat protectant and the blow dryer with the attachment and it works just fine for her.
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 8th December 2010, 7:18 pm

Can somebody tell me waht happened in the video...?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th December 2010, 7:39 pm

The video worked for me. All I can say is WOW!!! I know you should never, say never, but I will never relax my hair again.

@ Ambitious_Tiff - They talked about the brazilian blowout and keratin treatments and how dangerous they are. They also talked about relaxers. Dr. Oz said he was upset because now they are marketing kiddie relaxers as organic. He said there is no way to make sodium hydroxide orgranic or natural. They did an experiment showing what relaxers do to your scalp if left on too long. They also talked about the over use of blow dryers and flat irons.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th December 2010, 7:40 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Flat irons, relaxers and the controversial Brazilian blowout. Dr. Oz reveals the shocking truth behind these treatments. Plus, learn how you can stay...
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 8th December 2010, 8:03 pm

LOL i'm turning into such a housewife. i cooked as i had dr. oz on XD

anywayssss, obviously i saw it =P i thought it was kinda funny that they brought up the girl with the relaxer to volunteer and then dr. oz was like "oh you can keep that mask" LMAO

i did think it was scary how the chemicals were literally eating through the paper, but i already saw good hair, so i already know what that ish can do to a soda can :S
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 8th December 2010, 8:13 pm

Man I still can't get the video to work. Crying or Very sad

@ Lynnieluv
Thanx! I will go research these things and see what they are.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 8th December 2010, 8:39 pm

Sodium Hydroxide (Relaxer Lye) is the active ingredient in DRANO! Yep, I said DRANO! affraid Enough said.
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 8th December 2010, 10:06 pm

I agree Lynnieluve I will not be relaxing my hair again I knew that relaxer burned but after seeing what it did to the paper I was doing the same to my scalp wet/dry
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by amyleia 8th December 2010, 10:42 pm

Ebbz wrote:I wonder if the lye would have had the same affect if the paper was dry??? And i'm asking this because our hair is not wet when we put a relaxer on it. Just a thought though.

In response to your thought the answer is no it wouldn't have an effect because sodium hydroxide is not reactive in it's anhydrous/solid state. That's why they wet it because sodium hydroxide is highly reactive in the presence of water or moisture.In relaxers,my guess would be that there may be some presence of water that may activate the sodium hydroxide.
amyleia
amyleia

Back to top Go down

Post by blackice82 8th December 2010, 10:42 pm

That sad thing is some people will watch this and still will relax their hair.
blackice82
blackice82

Back to top Go down

Post by MomnWife 8th December 2010, 11:12 pm

blackice82 wrote:That sad thing is some people will watch this and still will relax their hair.

So, very true.
MomnWife
MomnWife

http://www.youravon.com/dsumner

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 9th December 2010, 1:11 pm

I agree with Ebbz on the gas mask thing lol.

Kay so I watched it, and hereee we go, nice and long! Very Happy

1) I assume many women are paying tons of money on their hair for these brazilian blowouts. I kind of think it's a waste of cash? Maybe that's just me... Relaxers are cheaper if you're going that route lol. To me it's just a different name and higher price tag.

2) Okay, I see why they're wearing gas masks. Seems like the gas masks are more needed with the Brazilian Blowout. But still, why would you do something that you needed to wear a gas mask for? God forbid something happened they would be ready to sue the salon lol.

3) Great demonstration on the hair and what the chemicals do.

4) OMG, the lye was like, burning the metal pan lol. I was more shocked by that and the crackling then the wet paper but still shocking nonetheless. The fact that that's what happens when your scalp starts burning...OUCH.

5) I think that was great over all, very interesting. Great demonstrations as always. Love Dr. Oz. :)Thanks for posting this MomnWife.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by blackice82 9th December 2010, 3:01 pm

Treece wrote:I agree with Ebbz on the gas mask thing lol.

Kay so I watched it, and hereee we go, nice and long! Very Happy

1) I assume many women are paying tons of money on their hair for these brazilian blowouts. I kind of think it's a waste of cash? Maybe that's just me... Relaxers are cheaper if you're going that route lol. To me it's just a different name and higher price tag.

2) Okay, I see why they're wearing gas masks. Seems like the gas masks are more needed with the Brazilian Blowout. But still, why would you do something that you needed to wear a gas mask for? God forbid something happened they would be ready to sue the salon lol.

3) Great demonstration on the hair and what the chemicals do.

4) OMG, the lye was like, burning the metal pan lol. I was more shocked by that and the crackling then the wet paper but still shocking nonetheless. The fact that that's what happens when your scalp starts burning...OUCH.

5) I think that was great over all, very interesting. Great demonstrations as always. Love Dr. Oz. :)Thanks for posting this MomnWife.

The reason why people are opting for BRazilian Keratin treatment (aka brazilian blowout) because they claim to have less chemicals, healthier for your hair becuase of the keratin and last longer (3-6 months). I applaud Dr Oz about how these companies put the word organic making it seem like it's natural. Relaxers can never be natural and never is the brazilian treatment which contains chemicals as well
blackice82
blackice82

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 9th December 2010, 3:12 pm

Ok so the show came on last night and I was just in time. If I ever had a thought about going back to perms, Dr. Oz fixed it. why on Earth would I put something in my haed that can corrode metal!! affraid I just thank God I didn't end up with some sorta brain damage or permanent disfigurement... I have to say good looking out to Dr. Oz. I wonder if his assistant will ever perm again... I can't believe anyone would market that stuff as ORGANIC! Evil or Very Mad
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 9th December 2010, 9:40 pm

I agree Tiff with your last statement, the thing is that hair products are not regulated like food. They can put some aloe in their product and say hey! It's organic! Very misleading. I wish some organization would put regulations on hair products too!
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 9th December 2010, 9:56 pm

You said that. If I ever have children, I won't be perming their hair. I wouldn't wanna be responsible to exposing them to that unneccessary harm. There's enough "stuff" put in the food these days as it is. I wonder if there has ever been a push for regulations on this? Lol, they should do psa's on perms like they do for cigarettes.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 9th December 2010, 10:02 pm

@blackice82: Wanted to say thank you for that bit of info.

@Tiff: I think it would be funny to see PSAs on perms lol. Some of the cigarette ones are hilarious. Have you seen the one that was a popsicle with glass? Shards O' Glass. http://www.shardsoglass.com/ Funny but great point. Anywho, got off topic, in short, I agree, and I can only hope my children will love their hair! Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 9th December 2010, 10:05 pm

LMBO @ SHARDSOGLASS Razz
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Smooth Jazz Luvr 10th December 2010, 2:48 am

Hey! I'm trying to find an older Dr. Oz video regarding chemical relaxer and soda can (if I recall correctly). Can anyone find this?

Smooth Jazz Luvr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down