CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Message to new and old moms regarding your postpartum hair

5 posters

Go down

Message to new and old moms regarding your postpartum hair  Empty Message to new and old moms regarding your postpartum hair

Post by kulem 24th November 2010, 12:16 pm

I just saw a post from a mom about her hair shedding and I thought that I would share my experience.

I had my first baby a little over a year ago. While I was pregnant my hair was growing long and thick and I loved it. My twists were ROCKING and I had absolutely no complaints. That all change when my sweetheart was born. It took me a while to notice what was happening to my hair, I don't think I noticed that something was wrong until my baby girl was about 5 to 6 months old. I was to busy working full-time, going to class, and taking care of a new born to do anything to my hair. So my go to style was a bun. Well one day I decided to twist my hair, that's when I realized that my hair had broken off really bad. About two inches of my hair at the ends was very thin and dry. It was like I had two different types of hair on my head, it was HORRIBLE, and SCARY!!! I thought I was going to lose all of my hair. So around 7 months I stopped breast feeding my daughter (one of the hardest things I've ever done). This is when my hair finally started to turn around my hair started to feel better, but the ends were still very dry and brittle, so I decided to go and get my hair straightened and trimmed. I did that in May 2010 and I went back in September and my stylist said that he didn't know what I'd done but whatever i was doing was so good that he wouldn't have to trim my hair!!!

So what did I do?
I drank lots, and lots of water! I moisturized, (Shea, avocado oil, and coconut oil)and wore my hair in a bun for months (this was my protective style). I really think that had I done the same things while I was breast feeding then I would not have had as much trouble with my hair. I do think that because pregnancy changes everything about your body you are bound to have some issues with your hair but not as much if you stay focused on taking care of your own well being. As a mom I'm prone to forget about me, but now I'm taking steps to remember that I still count!

Last edited by kulem on 24th November 2010, 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
kulem
kulem

Back to top Go down

Message to new and old moms regarding your postpartum hair  Empty Re: Message to new and old moms regarding your postpartum hair

Post by chynadoll8799 24th November 2010, 8:18 pm

Be aware that when you are breastfeeding you need MASSIVE amounts of water, and you MUST stay on your prenatal vitamins. Your body needs that water to make the milk.
I have 2 boys who were both breastfeed for (gasp) 21 months (or more, but who's counting? lol). I got some very good advice from a website once and that was to stay hydrated, even when Im not thirsty. I , of course, was relaxed at the time but never had a problem with my hair moisture or shedding or breaking during pregnancy, postpartum, and ALL THAT darned nursing.
You need that water before during and after having a baby for many reasons, not just the nursing. Because your body is going through so many changes you must stay hydrated. Its a MUST:-)
I remember one night I forgot to put my cup of ice next to the bed ( I used to do that so that when i woke up in th emiddle of the night to feed the baby, the ice would have already melted into nice cold water:-). My lips were literally dry and cracked when I woke up, and thats only because I had forgotten for ONE NIGHT to drink.
Water is amazing in what it can do. Very powerful natural resource:-)

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Message to new and old moms regarding your postpartum hair  Empty Re: Message to new and old moms regarding your postpartum hair

Post by kulem 24th November 2010, 10:43 pm

Chynadoll-
Unfortunately I learned the water lesson too late, and this had a severe effect on my hair, and my sex life Embarassed . I didn't drink enough and by the time 7 months rolled around everything had dried up.
kulem
kulem

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinice 24th November 2010, 11:15 pm

This is good info, it kicked me in the butt. I just had my honey bear last Tuesday. I am breastfeeding and have been slacking on the water and prenatal vitamins. After reading your posts, I plan to twist my hair and get on the water and vitamins. Like I am about to right now. I love the idea of the cup of ice next to the bed.

Thank you to both of you!
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by ColeyB 28th November 2010, 4:32 pm

Ladies I really needed that advice. I had my 3rd baby (Daniel Elijah 3 months) and this was the first pregnancy while my hair was natural. I just started experiencing major shedding and I was wondering WHAT was going on. I am also breastfeeding my "Poppy". I will get started on my water ASAP and I will start back taking my prenatal gummies. I need to find a good all natural moisturizer any suggestions. I need low maintenance since I am a FT wife, mommy and Banker. Thanks again!
ColeyB
ColeyB

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 28th November 2010, 4:50 pm

Please remember Mommies that if you do not take care of yourselves, and you are breastfeeding, your calcium stores from your bones etc will suffer.
take those vitamins and water!
(ps-and watch that baby weight fall right off of yout oo!)

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 28th November 2010, 5:04 pm

I concur with everything said. I too was finishing up my degrees and was working and breastfeeding and writing papers. It was too much. My boobs dried up as well as my hair and everything else. It was too the point of should I eat or sleep. I chose sleep. I did make it to a year breastfeeding but my hair and skin suffered. I know my bones probably suffered too. I would throw my hair in a bun and go. My ends were a hot mess. This was 1.5 years ago and I still think I am reaping the poor choices I made for my hair. We live and learn.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinice 28th November 2010, 5:12 pm

I really appreciate all your comments.. I began adding the vitamins to smoothies. This ensures I take the vitamins.
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down