CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alopecia Areata

+2
LittleOne
jackiej
6 posters

Go down

Alopecia Areata Empty Alopecia Areata

Post by jackiej 20th November 2010, 6:45 am

Hi,

So finally after years of having re-occuring bald patches appear then grow back, I have finally been been told I have Alopecia areata which is 'thought to be an autoimmune disorder in which the body attacks its own hair follicles and suppresses or stops hair growth'.
This condition has taken about 30% of my hair and although my hair may not define me, it is a big part of me and I am sad and somewhat depressed.

I suppose I just want to make people more aware and hope that people appreciate their hair whatever it's condition cause right now I'm realising that having a full head of hair is a blessing.

Take care
Jackie

jackiej

Back to top Go down

Alopecia Areata Empty Re: Alopecia Areata

Post by LittleOne 20th November 2010, 5:34 pm

Jackie,

I'm sorry to hear that Sad Here's some good news though...there is evidence that alopecia areata can be treated with scalp massages. You'll have to be patient and it may never be like it was, but it can be better. Here's the link:

http://www.hairliberty.org/black-hair-care/articles/hair-education/scalp-oiling.html

The part about massaging is in the second section. Reference information is at the bottom.

HTH Smile
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by BriaBeauty 20th November 2010, 11:43 pm

Jackie i believe you are so very right. Its so easy to forget the importance of all the things i am blessed with and its wonderful to have stories like your that truly open people's minds. Im really sorry to hear about your alopecia :/

BriaBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 22nd November 2010, 1:38 pm

Jackie, what an unselfish thing to do to share your story with us during this trying time. I appreciate it and as soon as I read your post, I thought, how frivolous we can be! No such thing as a bad hair day. God blessed us to wake up another day and we have hair.

Not to bring any "false hope," but if you have not and if you choose to, relentlessly pursue all reasonable alternative/holistic/non-western options. For example, the Indian art of Ayurveda is about 5,000 years old. You might contact a certified practitioner. Ayurveda is holistic health, which includes hair and skin.

I will add you to my prayer box!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Q 22nd November 2010, 4:09 pm

I need to look into ayurveda. Hi Jackie ...i've got AA too. i've had it since i was 3 (now 29). It can be discouraging esp since it falls out whenever it feels like it. The one plus that I have is that no hair grows on my arms & legs Very Happy ...besides that I've learned to deal with it. Wigs & weaves are my friend. I just hope my natural hair grows long enough to cover what is missing.

I think my scalp liked when I tried a cayenne pepper mix (w/ evoo) it sorta 'wakes up" your follicles...i didn't stick w/ it long enough to notice any MAJOR growth, but my hairline did fill in well & stayed filled in. Since on a healthy journey I've been documenting my scalp. It seems that once I stopped the cayenne/evoo my hair didn't want to be my friend anymore. but i'm used to it though, no biggie. There's a forum similar to CN called alopeciaworld.com & its more so a support type of place. HTH

Q

Back to top Go down

Post by bludini1 23rd November 2010, 1:27 pm

Hi Jackie,

I too have a form of alopecia, scarring alopecia to be exact and I too have sad days. My hair cannot handle weaves, wigs, any type of color or manipulation. I currently receive monthly scalp injections and I use my affirmations daily. In my youth, I used to pray for thick, long hair, now I am just happy with the hair that I have left. Thank you so much for sharing.

bludini1

Back to top Go down

Post by jackiej 12th December 2010, 5:55 pm

Hello,

Thank you all for your positive replies that really means a lot. Although I feel confident to say I am not my hair, I still have to admit that my hair is a big part of me and I want it back!

I'm ready to take the good with the bad, but during the bad remember the good so that I get back to the good faster, I hope I'm making sense?! I miss the carefree days of not just loving and respecting myself but enjoying life and not taking nonsense from anyone.
Okay sorry about the rant, my reason for posting this in the first place was really for the lovely people on here to understand that some of us face a lot more than hoping our hair retains mositure or what product works best, me I would like to have a full head of hair and a healthy scalp and by God's grace I look forward to updating you all in a few months telling you that I have just that!

Take care of you, your scalp and hair.
Jackie

jackiej

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down