CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Hair Questions

+6
naturallynola
Ladybug83
fanmnatirel
DreamMerchant
LaToya28
blkbeauty2010
10 posters

Go down

Random Hair Questions Empty Random Hair Questions

Post by blkbeauty2010 13th November 2010, 2:39 pm

so... I'm an official Cuirlynikki junkie but some of the blogs I read dont really register with me because Im not aware of some of the terms, processes or "rules" and was hoping that someone could help clarify for me so here goes...

What is an avitar? is it a curly puff (thats my understanding)?

Is it still a protective style if your ends are not tucked under (due to length) but your ends are covered by a satin cap? (My hair is not long enough for buns and tuckin but i individually twist keep hydrated and cover with my satin bonnet and wear cute beanies for a week or two

what are the prefixes and suffixes for protein in hair products? (Cones, mineral oil, parrafins and sulfates are easier to figure out)

When curlies refer to "spritz" are you describing a styling/holding aid or a water+oil+product concoction?

What/where is a good resource for learning how to french braid (some call it conrow... I been trying to learn for 20+ years Embarassed )?

Im sure I have more but this is all for now
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Random Hair Questions Empty Re: Random Hair Questions

Post by LaToya28 13th November 2010, 4:39 pm

What is an avitar?

Your avatar is the picture that is displayed whenever you post.

Is it still a protective style if your ends are not tucked under (due to length) but your ends are covered by a satin cap

A protective style is one in which your ends are not exposed.

what are the prefixes and suffixes for protein in hair products?

I usually look for words like amino, collagen, wheat, etc or if the product description mentions strengthening, fortifying, etc

When curlies refer to "spritz" are you describing a styling/holding aid or a water+oil+product concoction?

Usually a combination of water/glycerin/oil/conditioner etc.

What/where is a good resource for learning how to french braid

Youtube would be the best resource.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 13th November 2010, 5:04 pm

I concur with everything LaToya has stated!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 13th November 2010, 5:16 pm

I know! LaToya is on point!! Smile
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 13th November 2010, 5:26 pm

thanks ladies... Another question, since we can use a rinse out conditioner as a leave in can we also use it for a dc treatment as well?
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug83 13th November 2010, 6:07 pm

A lot of people add honey and/or oils to regular conditioner when using it as a deep conditioner.

Ladybug83

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 13th November 2010, 6:18 pm

Blkbeauty, be careful about leaving rinse out condish in. The manufacturer gave directions for it to be rinsed out for a reason. Now, there are some that can be left in. But, you do that at your own risk. Much of this decision should be based on the ingredients. Some have complained about the hair being hard and sometimes this is the culprit. Personally, I use leave'ins in b/c this is its purpose and wash out the others. When ever you modify the use of a product, do so with caution. Its enough to try and get a handle on being a new curlie without adding to that unnecessarily.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 13th November 2010, 7:58 pm

I usually look for words like amino, collagen, wheat, etc or if the product description mentions strengthening, fortifying, etc

I agree with LaToya and would add keratin to the list.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 13th November 2010, 8:26 pm

thanks ladies. LOL @ my thoughts of an avitar... Seems like curlies are envious and appreciative of other peoples curly puffs. Seems like I always see comments on those pictures
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th November 2010, 12:56 am

naturalnolagirl1900 wrote:Blkbeauty, be careful about leaving rinse out condish in. The manufacturer gave directions for it to be rinsed out for a reason. Now, there are some that can be left in. But, you do that at your own risk. Much of this decision should be based on the ingredients. Some have complained about the hair being hard and sometimes this is the culprit. Personally, I use leave'ins in b/c this is its purpose and wash out the others. When ever you modify the use of a product, do so with caution. Its enough to try and get a handle on being a new curlie without adding to that unnecessarily.

I agree!!! Also curlies wonder why they itchy scalps. I believe using rinse out condish as a leave in is the culprit.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 14th November 2010, 10:39 am

blkbeauty2010 wrote:thanks ladies... Another question, since we can use a rinse out conditioner as a leave in can we also use it for a dc treatment as well?

A lot of naturals do use their rinse out conditioners as deep treatments but I'm kinda on the fence about this one. To me a true deep treatment is one that penetrates the hair strand. However, most conditioners such as HE and Suave are just detanglers. They make the hair slippery so that you can comb through it, but other than that they don't do much at all. So I would suggest finding a conditioner that actually says that it's a deep conditioner. Some ladies also use hot oil treatments as their dc using oils that penetrate the hair such as olive and coconut.

Hope this is helpful!

LaToya28

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 14th November 2010, 10:42 am

Lynnieluve wrote:
naturalnolagirl1900 wrote:Blkbeauty, be careful about leaving rinse out condish in. The manufacturer gave directions for it to be rinsed out for a reason. Now, there are some that can be left in. But, you do that at your own risk. Much of this decision should be based on the ingredients. Some have complained about the hair being hard and sometimes this is the culprit. Personally, I use leave'ins in b/c this is its purpose and wash out the others. When ever you modify the use of a product, do so with caution. Its enough to try and get a handle on being a new curlie without adding to that unnecessarily.

I agree!!! Also curlies wonder why they itchy scalps. I believe using rinse out condish as a leave in is the culprit.

I agree with this as well...although Suave Tropical coconut condish makes for a perfect wash n go Smile

LaToya28

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 14th November 2010, 11:09 am

Is that why I want to peel my scalp off? I am always learning something around here! Thanks!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 14th November 2010, 11:13 am

LaToya28 wrote:
blkbeauty2010 wrote:thanks ladies... Another question, since we can use a rinse out conditioner as a leave in can we also use it for a dc treatment as well?

A lot of naturals do use their rinse out conditioners as deep treatments but I'm kinda on the fence about this one. To me a true deep treatment is one that penetrates the hair strand. However, most conditioners such as HE and Suave are just detanglers. They make the hair slippery so that you can comb through it, but other than that they don't do much at all. So I would suggest finding a conditioner that actually says that it's a deep conditioner. Some ladies also use hot oil treatments as their dc using oils that penetrate the hair such as olive and coconut.

Hope this is helpful!

I agree with what LaToya has said. Some people do use rinse out conditioners as leave-ins and add evoo and other oils. Deep conditioners have more moisturizing ingredients than rinse out conditioners do so I would really look for a true deep conditioner and look at the ingredients.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down