CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Age Differences

+4
cocomizu
~*Kiana*~
ChrsLvsBks
josh'smom
8 posters

Go down

Age Differences Empty Age Differences

Post by josh'smom 4th November 2010, 11:53 am

I never thought that I'd be single again, but now there is a new prospect and he is 51...and I am 33. Does anyone have any insights into dating someone much older than you?

josh'smom

Back to top Go down

Age Differences Empty Re: Age Differences

Post by ChrsLvsBks 4th November 2010, 12:38 pm

My mom's husband is 17 years her senior.

I think the key is to realize what is important to people of his age group may not be so for those in your age group. He is part of the Baby Boom generation, and you are part of the Generation X generation. I'd seek out information on what those in the Baby Boom generation value and see if he fits that or some of those descriptions.

Hope you the best in your relationship.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 4th November 2010, 6:18 pm

She has some great advice, I was gonna say mainly the values too....
Good Luck should you decide to give it a go!!
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by cocomizu 8th November 2010, 7:51 pm

My situation is the opposite. My man is YOUNG (10+ years my junior) and I love him. We've been together for about 3 years with no end in sight so far.

For the most part it's really not an issue because we share a lot of the same interests (being "green", alternative art and music, meditation, Eastern philosophy, working out) and the same personality traits (quiet, introverts, not party people). I think if you are on the same page with your core values and interests its good. The other things that do point to a generation gap don't really cause problems. I know his point of view is altered by his age, but I don't try to mother him. I respect that he is a grown man and I treat him as such. Likewise, with an older man I would not expect him to treat me as his junior, but as his equal.

cocomizu

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 18th November 2010, 2:13 am

My boyfriend is 41--a 13 year difference, and we're happy. We have a great deal in common (art, metaphysics, the occult, music, meditation, even the nature of our upbringings) and he makes no attempt to "father" me at all. Nor do *I* look or treat him as such. We treat each other as adults, but more importantly AS EQUALS.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 18th November 2010, 11:15 am

Like cocomizu, I am in an opposite situation; my BF is 10 years younger than I am. That certainly wasn't planned, actually it was quite unexpected. However, we will hit 4 years in Jan. 2011 and the relationship is going strong.

Age has not been an issue. Like everyone else has mentioned, similar interests are key. Common goals and a good personality balance make it very easy. Also, he possesses the qualities that I need to remain interested in a mate, (he's funny, extremely intelligent and passionate about nature and family).

With any relationship regardless of age, respect for each other is major.

curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 11th December 2010, 9:28 pm

Well on a down note, my ex is 10 years older. We were married, ummmm, 14 years, divorced now, and living together again, but..... Anyway. I did begin to see age differences. Plus out upbringing was totally different. Our tolerence of each other also got extremely short. I do blame a lot on the age difference. Just make sure you know the person before jumping into anything....Best of Luck!!!
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 22nd December 2010, 9:55 pm

I think age can be a spirit. I am divorced from a man who was 9 years my senior and we were married for 14 yrs. He was always old in his ways and thinking. I am kind of dating (I guess that's what we're doing) a man who is 12 yrs older than me. He's young in spirit. He works with the youth in his church, he still loves amusement parks and he makes me laugh. My husband, Lord bless him told a joke once in 14 yrs and did not find my sense of humor funny at all. I think you've gotten great advice. Know that relationships between people who are more than 9 yrs apart in age fail statistically, but I'm sure that's because of alot of the things that have already been said that people go in not considering. All the best to you!
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum