CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proceed with caution

3 posters

Go down

Proceed with caution Empty Proceed with caution

Post by naturallynola 25th October 2010, 9:08 pm

I was thinking about a few hair disasters that people have shared with me and that it might be helpful to start a thread to help all of us avert "hair hurricanes." So, I think it would be neat if people gave an account of a bad hair scenario that was self-induced, share the lesson learned, and any other cautious tips you have that could help someone.

FYI - 1) Always read the instructions no matter how many other people give advice about how to use a product. Some people's hair is more resilient and can weather almost any storm. The manufacturer has tested products in controlled conditions. That means that have tested the product many times under certain circumstances and are directing consumers they have found it safe to use the product a certain way, for a certain length of time, with certain products, etc. So, when they provide the steps to using the product, it is prudent to follow those steps (at least the first time to see how your hair will react.).

2) Some people are overly confident because something is organic or natural. Well, many ingredients can be irritating. As great as EOs are, they are very potent and most need to be mixed with a carrier oil or can't be applied directly to the skin, and even then, some have the potential to be more irritating than others. So, we should always do a skin test to ensure no allergic reactions. The fold of the arm is a great place. If after a few minute, you do see any redness/hives (usually within 30 mintues), it should be relatively safe to proceed.

3) Any product that brings about a structual change or permanent change should be researched (that means legitimate sources/scientific sources/the manufacturer (no, not the customer service representative) and strand tested. No need to expererience possible bald spots or hair fall unnecessarily.

My mother used to always say, it is better to be safe than sorry!

The only mishap I have had to date is being very anxious and using a prepared conditioner along with a homemade eggs and yogurt treatment to find out that is a protein overload for me. I paid the price for that overzealousness. Lessons learned to investigate everything for protein and to use 1 new product per wash day to avoid any further major haystack moments and at least it would be easier to identify the culprit.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Proceed with caution Empty Re: Proceed with caution

Post by naturallychelsea 25th October 2010, 10:43 pm

Steer clear of Dr. Miracles and its feel it formula. I felt it alright and it felt like straw. It dried my hair out something fierce.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by NappturalQueen 25th October 2010, 11:19 pm

Yes, Dr. Miracles turned my hair very dry and it felt like oil of the oil was stripped from my hair. I still have the 'only used once' bottle in my bathroom. I tried while I was transitioning before I did the BC in October.

I noticed the same with some of Carol Daughter's products, but some of her products are good too.

NappturalQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 25th October 2010, 11:31 pm

What is this Dr. Miracles? What is it suppose to do?

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 25th October 2010, 11:38 pm

It is this heavily advertised line of hair, and recently, skin products. It has this feel it formula i.e when you apply it your scalp it tingles. Some people swear by it but it wreaked havoc on my tresses and thinned my hair so much. But this wasn't all bad as it caused me to go natural so...
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by NappturalQueen 25th October 2010, 11:48 pm

I bought the 2in1 Tingling Shampoo COnditioner. It is true in the fact that you can feel the tingling when you use it. I cannot remember why I bought it or what I was attempting to achieve at the time. No that I am looking at the bottle while typing, the ingredients are not listed on the bottle. Perhaps that should have been a RED flag for me.

on the bottle it says that it stimulates the blood flow which promotes hair growth.

NappturalQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 25th October 2010, 11:52 pm

Yep, no ingredients = no sale! Do they have a website where they have ingredients or where you can contact them?

Don't these companies know there is an ever increasing empowered consumer these days!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down