CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a Big Sis in the Atlanta/South Fulton area

3 posters

Go down

Looking for a Big Sis in the Atlanta/South Fulton area Empty Looking for a Big Sis in the Atlanta/South Fulton area

Post by MrsW 18th October 2010, 4:03 pm

I have recently decided to transition, and it has been 9 and 1/2 weeks since my last relaxer. I definitely need someone who can give me some advice and answer questions I have about transitioning, especially without the BC and using braids as a transitioning style. I have started looking at all the blogs, but I don't want to get too overwhelmed. I also have a hesitant but supportive husband, so I'd love tips on how the spouse/significant other handled things. Thanks.

MrsW

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Big Sis in the Atlanta/South Fulton area Empty Re: Looking for a Big Sis in the Atlanta/South Fulton area

Post by 1FlySista 4th December 2010, 3:57 pm

Hi Sis, I live in Clayton County. I'm here for ya! My last relaxer was February 2009. I transitioned until January 2010 when I did my big chop. I think I could be of some assistance to you at this point in your journey. Holla back and let me know if you are interested. Smile
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Big Sis in the Atlanta/South Fulton area Empty Re: Looking for a Big Sis in the Atlanta/South Fulton area

Post by misskris 4th December 2010, 4:17 pm

Hi MrsW and FlySista. I don't live in that part of Atlanta (not really Atl at all) I live in Gwinnett county in Grayson, on the other side of Stone Mtn. But I have been natural for almost 15 yrs. But I have to say I have only been really taking good care of my hair for real for real this past month. But I can, in addition to 1FlySista, try to give you some advice, tips, suggestions, whatever. Good luck to ya!! Smile
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsW 4th December 2010, 9:14 pm

FlySista and Misskris, I'll take all the help I can get. When I stopped getting relaxers, I switched shampoo and conditioner to Shea Moisture once a week, but I continued to blow dry and "curl" my hair with a flat iron because it seemed like other styles wouldn't really work. As I am getting more new growth, it has been harder to manage sometimes. The past couple of weeks I went to Too Groovy and had it flat ironed, even though I have been afraid of heat damage. I want to try to get my hair braided to allow it to grow, but I want to find a good place where they won't damage my hair. Sometimes I am tempted to BC because I want to see how my hair will be, but I am scared because I have never really had short hair. I'd love to hear any advice you have on styles, products or routines, especially while I am transitioning, or if you know of a good braiding salon.

MrsW

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 4th December 2010, 9:36 pm

Hey MrsW. I can't help you on the salon area as I do not go to them. But I know there are some natural hair salons in Atlanta somewhere. I think one is called Curltopia and another I think is called Urban bella...
Yep....here are the websites (i had to them up!! LOL----> http://www.curltopia.com/
http://www.urbanbella.net/shop/welcome.html

I say go for the BC!!! I loved it. I BCd in '96 or '97, my sophomore yr in college. Since then I did it maybe 3 or 4 more times. I loved it each time. So easy to do - I did wash n goes ALL the time. And when I look back on it now my hair did grow pretty fast each time, but at the time I would always think my hair grew sooooo slow!!! LOL. But I say go for it. You may love it!!! But I also understand if you may want to go the transitioning route. So may I suggest cornrow updos or 2-strand twists, which you can also put in an updo. I would stay away from weaves because they can be done too tightly causing damage to your hair, unless, of course, they really know what they are doing with natural hair (being the new growth).

OR you can do twist outs or braid outs. I prefer twist outs (braid outs never get the results I want but the twist outs do--my avatar is from 2 strand twist out) Thay way it will be harder to differentiate the new growth from the relaxed hair (depending on your hair type). It will all be crinkly from the twists.

So hope this helps. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. I will try my best to answer them!!!
afro
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsW 4th December 2010, 9:49 pm

I have tried to do a flexi-rod set to make my hair curly a couple of times. The problem for me is sleeping. It may be because my hair is still mostly relaxed, but my curls normally get crushed at night. Do twist outs last longer for transitioning hair?

MrsW

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 4th December 2010, 11:27 pm

They may, depending on what product you use with the flexirods. I bought some last weej but haven't used them yet. I am curious to see how they would work on me.

When you do the rods is your hair wet or dry?? i'm sure that makes a huge diff. you'd get better results with wet hair. My twist outs last about 3 days, maybe more, but lately I have been retwisting after they've only been out for one day. I've been doing this to avoid tangles. How long is your hair? Maybe you an try "pineappling" your curls when you go to sleep. If you don't know what that is it's simply taking a soft scrunchy and piling all your hair on top of your head loosely. Put a satin cap on and that's it. When you wake up the curls SHOULD be ok. But perhaps you are right---maybe it is due to the relaxed ends.
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsW 6th December 2010, 11:00 pm

My hair has been wet once, and then I wet it another time as I put in each flexirod. I also used the Jane Carter Wrap and Roll. For the most part, the curls come out great. They just get smooshed when I sleep. I will try pulling my hair up next time. My curls are usually really tight. I'll try a braid out or twist out next and let you know what happens. Thanks!

MrsW

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 6th December 2010, 11:49 pm

Hey! what about sleeping on your stomach?? I can't sleep on my stomach cuz it bothers my back but if it's comfy for you maybe that's an option...???
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down