CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

needs support!

+2
rayray19
trendyCP
6 posters

Go down

needs support! Empty needs support!

Post by trendyCP 30th September 2010, 1:21 am

Hey ladies,

I'm college student who decided to go natural this summer. All summer long I've been wearing twist outs or wash and gos and feeling pretty confident about it. Since coming back to school though, it's been a lot harder!

It doesn't seem like my friends here are very supportive. All I keep hearing is "I miss your straight hair" or "when are you going to straighten it?" or "how long are you doing this until?" Its frustrating and on top of that, it's been months now and I only have about an inch of new growth! What am I doing wrong?

=(

trendyCP

Back to top Go down

needs support! Empty Re: needs support!

Post by Guest 25th October 2010, 4:38 pm

number one- u can't worry about what other ppl like and what they don't like! all that matters is what u like and what ur happy with b/c in the end, u have to live with what decisions u make.

number two- idk what to really tell u about ur little growth...ur hair could be in the slow stage of growing and not really trying to grow much.

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 25th October 2010, 5:58 pm

This is what you tell them:
This is my hair that grew out of my head so DONT WORRY about it!!! once you let them know how you feel they will not feel the need to constantly harass you with those questions. Like Indidiiamond said dont worry about what other people day..going natural is a personal decisions and unfortunately people will always feel the need to change your mind

Just remain confident and stick to your decisions..and pay them no mind
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 25th October 2010, 10:47 pm

Well why don't you post your regimen and we'll c what we can recommend. Besides if you started during summer that's about 3 months ago and hair grows at a rate of 1/2 an inch a month you are right on schedule. Don't fret bbygurl.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by tatertotz 25th October 2010, 11:34 pm

Hi trendyCP
I'm also in college and facing these constant "When are you going to straighten your hair?" remarks. I agree with rayray19 just confidently let your friends know your reasons for going natural. They might retort with an "Ooh girl you're crazy!". Brush their comments off, it's your hair do whatever you want with it! I'm currently 10 months post relaxer and I keep my regimen (super!) simple since this college girl is tight on time.

Shampoo hair every 1 to 2 weeks with hair in 4 sections
Deep Condition w/ plastic cap & my hood dryer if i have time (yes i have a hood dryer in my dorm lol)
Seperate each braid into 3 smaller braids & Detangle hair while condish is still in
Rinse condish & Apply leave-in/oil/sealer

I usually wear my hair in a bun for the beginning of the week to stretch my roots and protect my ends. Then I do flexi-rods towards the end of the week for a cute big hair style, I love them! There are pics of my flexi-rods sets on my fotki

HopeThatHelps!
tatertotz
tatertotz

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 25th October 2010, 11:55 pm

Tater, I am curious about the flexi on dry hair. What do you use to dampen your hair and smooth the ends? I never thought about doing it on dry hair.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by tatertotz 26th October 2010, 4:23 am

@naturalnolagirl1900 I forgot to mention that. I use a spray bottle mix of leave-in conditioner (one with no 'cones), coconut oil and water to dampen my hair. I'm still experimenting with using a little bit of holding mousse in the mixture so I won't have to re-roll my hair every night but anywhoo. I spray this on my hair then comb once over with a wide toothed comb and then once over my ends with a finer toothed comb so they aren't snaggly. This has been working great because I can roll my hair at night and by the time I wake up it's completely dry and ready to go
tatertotz
tatertotz

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 26th October 2010, 8:04 am

Great idea on the flexi rods Tater never thought of doing it like that .. Love the pic in your Avatar your hair looks beautiful
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 26th October 2010, 8:24 am

Trendy I know its hard but just think what the bigger picture is that is you are doing this for you not them.. When they ask when you plan to straighten your hair you look at them and say when I am good and ready so stop asking.. You have versitility with your hair I can't wait until you start wearing your hair in twists and they they are all asking you how did you get your hair like that..

Hang in there.. Worry about your studies and graduating not them.. flower
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 26th October 2010, 10:09 am

Trendy, What a wonderful point letha made about doing this for you. We can never do things merely to please others. You cannot please everyone. Some will like it and others wont, so then what do you do. Self esteem and self confidence comes from WITHIN not without, remember that. I started thinking about it this way. This is the hair God gave me. So, like the rest of my body, I want to keep it healthy. Hopefully, when we settle into a regimen that is effective, our hair is manageable, then we are less likely to succumb to returning to unhealthy, unnatural, chemical exposing methods. Hang in there. We are all in this together. Many can relate to this particular plight you have. and I imagine they will chime in. What a support group we are blessed to have here!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by tatertotz 27th October 2010, 12:27 am

@letha Thank you! Your waves in your avatar are beautiful as well Smile
tatertotz
tatertotz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down