CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HENNA HELP!!!

2 posters

Go down

HENNA HELP!!! Empty HENNA HELP!!!

Post by tresmom08 13th September 2010, 3:39 pm

Ok ladies I purchased a box of Jamila henna from a local Indian Grocery store and I want to apply it to my hair. Hubby mixed it yesterday afternoon (he is more excited than I) and I plan to complete the process when I get home tonight. I took my yarn braids out last night, wet my hair and applied a deep conditioner. I slept with a plastic cap and scarf on. This morning I woke up and washed my hair out I then applied shampoo to my scalp rinsed then applied my HE HH and rinsed again. After my shower I applied some Cantu leave in to my wet hair with a little Eco styler. Do I need to clarify my hair again before I apply the Henna?

How I mixed my batch- 100g of Jamila Henna
1 tablespoon of Honey
1 1/2 cups of Orange Pekoe tea

Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

tresmom08
tresmom08

Back to top Go down

HENNA HELP!!! Empty Re: HENNA HELP!!!

Post by Curlock Holmes 13th September 2010, 4:46 pm

Clarifying may be too harsh. Maybe just co-wash instead, or at least rinse your hair to get rid of the gel and leave-in. If you have a shampoo that isn't very stripping/is kind of moisturizing, you could try to use that instead. I say this because henna can be drying (it is on my hair).
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by tresmom08 13th September 2010, 5:22 pm

Thanks CurlyDee....I will just co-wash like you suggest. Another thing....should I deep condition after I rinse the henna out? and do you think there will be a significant color change since its been sitting for more than 24hrs?
tresmom08
tresmom08

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 13th September 2010, 7:58 pm

Yes, definitely deep condition with a protein-free conditioner after you rinse out the henna. That will restore the softness to your hair. Color change depends on your original hair color.. I have very dark brown hair (practically black) so I can see a reddish brown tint in sunlight or in pics with a bright flash but it mostly just looks black. On my highlights I could DEFINITELY see a color change.

You don't have to wait 24 hours before applying the henna- usually it's just to allow the dye to release (most people mix before they go to bed and apply in the morning, so 6-8hrs). You don't want it to sit for too long because I think the dye can deactivate. You can do a test by putting a dot on the palm of your hand and wipe it off after 30 secs or so. If there's a red/orange dot, the dye has released and you can put it in your hair.

HTH!
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by tresmom08 14th September 2010, 12:04 pm

yes it helped a lot. Thanks for all the tips....I applied the henna last night followed by a deep conditioner then I added some coconut oil and set the blow dryer to cool and for about 5 minutes on my hair. It was till a little damp so I applied some Cantu Shea Butter Leave in and Eco Styler gel and 2 strand twisted my hair. This morning I took the twist down with a little coconut and olive oil for my 1st TWIST OUT!!!!YAYYYYYY!!!!! woot!
I added a scarf for extra umph....I love it.
tresmom08
tresmom08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down