CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maintaining your hair while working out

+5
krazy coils
ChrsLvsBks
NhappyJackie
BrownSkinDiva
QuirkyCurly
9 posters

Go down

Maintaining your hair while working out Empty Maintaining your hair while working out

Post by QuirkyCurly 9th September 2010, 5:08 am

Hello Everyone!

I'm having some issues with my hair while trying to exercise. I'm trying to lose weight and I've noticed that my hair has become a lot dryer in the last couple of weeks. I know its because of the salt in the sweat but I don't feel like taking my twists down every 2 days. I'm thinking of a scalp cleanser of some sort while in-between co-washes. Any suggestions?

Please and Thanks Very Happy Very Happy
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Maintaining your hair while working out Empty Re: Maintaining your hair while working out

Post by BrownSkinDiva 9th September 2010, 8:20 am

Do you sweat alot in your head or just around the edges? I personally only sweat around the edges, but I know for those who sweat alot in their actual head you may want to try using a light oil before or after your work out. Try Sweet Almond, Vitamin E, or Tea Tree Oil and see if that helps. It most likely is the salts from the sweat drying your hair out, but those pores in your scalp also need to be rejuvenated because theyre being dried out as well. Hope this helps!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Maintaining your hair while working out Empty Re: Maintaining your hair while working out

Post by NhappyJackie 9th September 2010, 10:37 am

I've never had this problem and my whole head sweats. But, usually when I work out, no matter what the hair style is, I moisturize my hair. With most styles I just run my hair under the shower head for about 10 seconds then mist with a light oil. For my twists, I mist with rose water concentrating on my scalp then mist my whole head with water (only to dampen it) and follow up with a light oil. All of my styles usually last at least 7days, mostly 14.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th September 2010, 11:31 am

I workout five days a week. I try to make sure to spray my scalp every day. I've used water infused with EOs (lavender, tea tree, peppermint), aloe vera gel with peppermint EO & tea tree EO or green tea with EOs. Afterward, I seal the moisture with oil, usually EVOO.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 9th September 2010, 12:57 pm

I wear my hair in twists and workout 4-5 days a week and I spray my scalp with rosewater mixed with peppermint eo. If my scalp feels really itchy I use a mixture of tea tree oil and castor oil on my scalp.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 9th September 2010, 11:46 pm

Thank you ladies!

But where do you buy rose water from?
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Mai 10th September 2010, 12:44 am

Me like this topic, because I was going thru the same thing. Glad about the advice, thanks ladies.
Ms.Mai
Ms.Mai

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 10th September 2010, 1:39 am

I usually get rose water at wholefoods stores. But i think you can find it at any health store...
I have used the one that you can actually cook with Smile

I work out a few times a week and the only way my hair doesn't turn into a hot mess is if it is in two-strand twists. I think that just the fact that it is in twists helps it stay moisturized.

Hope that helps!

fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 10th September 2010, 5:18 am

When I work out even if it's just water, I rinse my head to get the sweat OFF. Even twists. (When I wore twists.)

I cowashed my twists too but I'm lazy.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 10th September 2010, 11:29 am

I also work 2-3 times a week. If my hair is out I try to tie with a scarf or wear a hat. If it's in twist I do the same. It prevents the sweat from sitting in my hair. Also when I shower I let the mist hit it. Afterward I spray with a mix of water and lavender and peppermint maybe some leave-in and seal with oil.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down