CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saying Goodbye To The Relaxer

+6
honeybrown1976
bludini1
LadyMika
pie
laleepop14
mssassy
10 posters

Go down

Saying Goodbye To The Relaxer Empty Saying Goodbye To The Relaxer

Post by mssassy 31st August 2010, 10:29 pm

I read something posted by Miss Jessie’s that says surveys suggest that by 2011, relaxer usage will decline 23%. That is a big drop! So, why the big decline? Are more women realizing the versatility and beauty of their hair? Is it a fad? Is it rebellion? Is it that we are learning just how unhealthy the relaxer is? Or, maybe it’s all of the above? Whatever the case, I’m proud to be a part of the movement! Why do you think more women are saying goodbye to the relaxer?
mssassy
mssassy

http://naturalhairbymssassy.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Saying Goodbye To The Relaxer Empty Re: Saying Goodbye To The Relaxer

Post by laleepop14 1st September 2010, 10:34 am

I think it is because people are realizing there are so many alternatives to getting your hair straight without all those chemicals... I wish I would have known about this a long time ago I wouldve went natural wayyy earlier!!! But its probably all of the above and times are hard in this economy... A lot of money is used on going to the salon to mantain that chemical relaxed look especially if you cant do hair yourself....
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by pie 7th September 2010, 1:31 pm

Yes, women are seeing more naturals and realizing that it's an option. I see women looking at me all the time and the look is, "I wonder if I would look good with that style". Once they start researching, it's pretty much over. Natural is definitely the way to be..............
pie
pie

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 7th September 2010, 1:53 pm

pie wrote:Yes, women are seeing more naturals and realizing that it's an option. I see women looking at me all the time and the look is, "I wonder if I would look good with that style". Once they start researching, it's pretty much over. Natural is definitely the way to be..............

I agree. I've had plenty of women ask me tons of questions about natural hair. Even converted a co-worker without realizing it. She had a short bob one day, the next day, she BC'd to the WHITE MEAT with a nice auburn color. Said it was because of ME and that I inspired her to go back to natural hair. Embarassed Didn't think I could have that kind of impact. It's kinda cool actually. Smile

LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bludini1 7th September 2010, 2:41 pm

Knowledge, knowledge, knowledge is the key!!! Look at all the blogs, websites, products dedicated to natural hair. We didn't have this 10 years ago. More knowledge, more resources, more change.

bludini1

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybrown1976 7th September 2010, 2:53 pm

Yeah, I was a full-fledged relaxed head. But, once I started reading hair blogs and creating a great regimen, I decided to transition, which I'm in my fourth month of doing! I actually enjoy looking at my new growth now.
honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 7th September 2010, 2:55 pm

bludini1 wrote:Knowledge, knowledge, knowledge is the key!!! Look at all the blogs, websites, products dedicated to natural hair. We didn't have this 10 years ago. More knowledge, more resources, more change.

I agree!
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Bun_Ana 7th September 2010, 8:32 pm

I also think that the fact that many more people are turning to the weave/lace front movement is a result of the decline of relaxers. I remember years ago when women used to be embarassed about having a weave, but its way more accepted now.

"Everybody's doin it!"

LOL. But I've definately seen more natural heads lately. Its pretty cool. Whether it's become a fad or not... Eh. Maybe, maybe not. I'll say this. I know many people who want to or have tried to go natural, not to embrace their natural texture, but "Because yours is cute!" Lol. Neutral
Bun_Ana
Bun_Ana

http://bunanamarie.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 7th September 2010, 9:33 pm

My hair wasn't flourishing with a relaxer. I have thin to medium thickness. When I would get a relaxer, my hair would just go lifeless and thin. It wouldn't be right until it was time for the next relaxer.

Oh yeah. I also suffered from eczema in my scalp. Dry, flaky skin + Lye = A Hot Scabby Mess.

Honestly, if it wasn't for my hair dresser, the youtube community of big choppers, and you guys, I wouldn't have done it. I always thought that my hair would require so much time and attention. The increased exposure of the possibilities was what made me turn.

I am sure that I am not the only one. Smile
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

http://butterflybap.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BattleKat 11th September 2010, 12:44 am

I did it for the versatility. I saw some before and after pictures on someones facebook page and I got her number and went into her shop. She asked me what made me decided to go natural. I said huh? I didn't know that all those pictures the women were natural. The last relaxer I had did some major damage to my hair plus the post partum shedding, I had made my decision. The shop actually only did flat iron so that is how I started my transitioning. I didn't start researching until my 7th or 8th month of transitioning.
BattleKat
BattleKat

Back to top Go down

Post by mssassy 14th September 2010, 2:11 am

bludini1 wrote:Knowledge, knowledge, knowledge is the key!!! Look at all the blogs, websites, products dedicated to natural hair. We didn't have this 10 years ago. More knowledge, more resources, more change.

Now this is true. Info is just one click away!
mssassy
mssassy

Back to top Go down

Post by mssassy 14th September 2010, 2:13 am

Bun_Ana wrote:I also think that the fact that many more people are turning to the weave/lace front movement is a result of the decline of relaxers. I remember years ago when women used to be embarassed about having a weave, but its way more accepted now.

"Everybody's doin it!"

LOL. But I've definately seen more natural heads lately. Its pretty cool. Whether it's become a fad or not... Eh. Maybe, maybe not. I'll say this. I know many people who want to or have tried to go natural, not to embrace their natural texture, but "Because yours is cute!" Lol. Neutral

You are so right! It used to be a taboo to admit you were not wearing your hair.
mssassy
mssassy

Back to top Go down

Post by mssassy 14th September 2010, 2:16 am

BattleKat wrote:I did it for the versatility. I saw some before and after pictures on someones facebook page and I got her number and went into her shop. She asked me what made me decided to go natural. I said huh? I didn't know that all those pictures the women were natural. The last relaxer I had did some major damage to my hair plus the post partum shedding, I had made my decision. The shop actually only did flat iron so that is how I started my transitioning. I didn't start researching until my 7th or 8th month of transitioning.

That is one of the great perks of naturals. Versatility. I love it! woot!
mssassy
mssassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down