CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prepare for war

3 posters

Go down

Prepare for war Empty Prepare for war

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 8th August 2010, 10:26 am

Ok so all this summer I basically been preparing for interviews by buying nice professional attire. Today was the day I tried on all the outfits I have saved up for my mom. She liked all of them but of course the trying question came up..."So are you going to wear your hair down?"

And I really thought I answered her question right. I said "Yeah I'm going to do a twist out, or I'm going to do a high bun."
My mom asks "High bun?"
I answer "Yeah I pull my hair up and get a sock then fold my hair over it so-"
My mom interrupts "Oh you're still talking about going natural."

I was fine until that moment. What the hell did she think I was going to do? After close to a full year after shaving my head that I'm going to press the crap out of my virgin hair so it will burn?

Then she goes on "I told you about your Aunt Carol and how she couldn't get a job with braids-"
My turn to interrupt "Yes and wearing a twist out gives you curl. White people can't tell whether I used a curling iron, or went to the salon if I do it. And a high bun-"

Then my mom just stops the whole conversation "Whatever you know, you know."

Ughhhhhhh so I'm planning on working in the fashion industry anyways and fashion in New York is already open to natural hair, but I know my mom wont buy that even if I tell her. And I'm sorry, but I can't go further than a twist out I already feel like a sell out. Twist outs to me is not that natural. It's not my curly pattern is why I say this. I feel like when it does come to interview time this going to get really ugly how do I prepare for confrontation with my mom?

I just know I'm going to want to get any job just to prove my mom wrong which I think is going to be more stressful than the process already is...
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Prepare for war Empty Re: Prepare for war

Post by WhosThatRedHead 8th August 2010, 1:16 pm

Sorry about your mom. Some people just have different views on what professional is. Years ago it was unprofessonal to have piercings and tatoos but now I see more and more of them in many professions. I would say stay true to your self. Finding a job-any job just to prove your mother wrong about natural hair shouldn't be your goal. Find the right job that is right for you. There is one out there for you that will accept you and your natural hair. When it comes time for your interview is there someone like a friend that you can show your look to that will be supportive? I wish you lcuk! I'm sure your will find a job that is right for you and you will look wonderful (professional [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) at your interview
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveleeMama 8th August 2010, 3:48 pm

I stuggled with how to wear my hair for interviews. My last job that I got I had a bantu know twist out that I pinned up somehow, had to deal with a windy day and new natural but I still got the job. My new job that I will be starting in a couple of weeks, I wore a bun for the first 2 interviews and then I had my final interview with the hair in my avatar, flat twist out ( one day later).
I think in the fashion industry it doesnt matter how you wear your hair. Your hair is apart of your fashion statement. I think however you wear it you rock it with confidence ( thats what they are looking for besides your experience/eduation).

Good Luck
LoveleeMama
LoveleeMama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down