CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Splitting, single strand knots and excessive shedding

4 posters

Go down

Splitting, single strand knots and excessive shedding Empty Splitting, single strand knots and excessive shedding

Post by D-Lish 28th July 2010, 5:13 am

It is VERY hard for me to detangle, so I only detangle once a month. I use a condish with good slip but my hair is so curly it's just so difficult to comb from root to tip without snagging.

I do not moisturize my hair every day. I have fine, thick hair. I admit I am having a bit of trouble "listening" to my hair and I don't know when it's thirsty. Moisturizing is random.

I wear my hair "out" a lot. Free form. Never in any twists or braids in the summer.

I wash and condish and seal once a week.

When I do detangle with my wide toothed comb there's still strands of hair barely hanging onto some pieces of my hair and the wide toothed comb will not get rid of those, I have to literally pull them off with my fingers. I believe I need some sort of brush to combat this, any suggestions welcomed. I recently cut off an inch of my hair due to splits but now they're halfway up the hair strand!?

My questions?

1) Is there anything I should change in my routine?
2) Will henna help at all? (Is it currently sitting on my hair as we speak)
3) Will protein treatment help or make it worse?
4) Should I just cut my hair and start all over?(I'm 2 years and 4 months natural)
D-Lish
D-Lish

Back to top Go down

Splitting, single strand knots and excessive shedding Empty Re: Splitting, single strand knots and excessive shedding

Post by ... 28th July 2010, 7:24 am

It's definitely your routine.

First, you should detangle more than once a month. Your hair sheds every day, and if you only remove those shed hairs once every four weeks, then of course it's going to seem like a lot of hair is coming out. You should detangle weekly to bi-weekly, combing from tip to root, not root to tip. You can finger-comb first to remove most of the major knots, and then use a wide-tooth comb to help remove shed hairs and make sure the knots are gone.

Secondly, since your hair is very curly, it needs a more consistent moisturizing routine. You need to listen to your hair and moisturize when needed. And if you still can't tell when you should moisturize, then just do it daily or every other day to make sure it's getting moisture.

Thirdly, protective styles are usually a curly-head's best friend. If you don't want to do twists or braids, then try buns, up-dos, or something else to keep the ends protected and the manipulation low.

Fourly, yes, a brush will help remove shed hairs, but you don't necessarily need one. If you can get the shed hairs out correctly using your fingers and a wide-tooth comb, then you have no need for a brush. Detangle more often first before you decide whether or not you need a brush.

Back to top Go down

Splitting, single strand knots and excessive shedding Empty Re: Splitting, single strand knots and excessive shedding

Post by krazy coils 28th July 2010, 8:26 am

SummerRuby has given some excellent advice. You definitely will have to change your routine. Definitely moisturize your hair more often to help combat dryness which can lead to breakage.

You don't have to cut your hair and start all over but if you still have split ends you may have to trim your hair a little more to get rid of them.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by D-Lish 28th July 2010, 5:44 pm

Thanks very much ladies! I'll try and see if it helps Smile
D-Lish
D-Lish

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 28th July 2010, 11:05 pm

The only thing wrong you do is not detangling. Should be detangling EVERY time you wash.

As for moisture..I guess moisture after you wash (which is once a week) then I guess moisturize once or twice again during the week. I have thick strands of hair that need moisture every other day so that is about 3 or 4 times a week i do it so probably you only need to moisture after wash, then once midway through week since you have fine strands

As for protein i just found out that my natural hair hates protein (im transitioning). However you have fine strands so you can handle protein I think. Maybe try a protein conditioner/treatment once a month and the other 3 times you wash do a moisture conditioner. Then see how your hair reacts to the protein, from there you can decide to decrease the protein or add. Protein is generally GREAT on damaged hair or fine or silky strands. But pretty bad on thick or coarse strands

If your hair does not like protein I hear Henna is a great alternative. Strengthens without protein.

And last DO NOT CUT YOUR HAIR OFF GIRL!!!
Just get a little trim like an inch, then in 3 months get another one inch trim, then just keep doing this for the next year (should be 3 or 4 trims) and that way your hair stays the same length but you are getting rid of the damage. Your hair is pretty.

I think you may need to to start focusing on protecting yoru ends? Maybe your hair needs some oils added more often

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down