CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Wives Tales

+2
Sweet Tee
DreamMerchant
6 posters

Go down

Old Wives Tales Empty Old Wives Tales

Post by DreamMerchant 18th July 2010, 10:38 pm

I was sitting here thinking about some of the silly things my mom has told me over the years that may or may not be true. We had a conversation tonight and it some how turned to someone putting a "root" out on you. Here are the tales that I have heard over the years. Do you have any?

1. Take an oatmeal bath and submerge yourself up to your shoulders for at least 15 minutes to get rid of a "root" that someone may have put on you. I do not know about a root but it helps dry skin.
2. Handling a puppy or a kitten too much will give it worms. If that is true, wouldn't that mean that if you pick up babies alot then they would get worms too?
3. A tablespoon of kerosene and sugar will cut the mucous in your chest if you have a chest cold. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It is a wonder that we are still alive today. I told my mother she would never watch my baby. I was halfway joking and halfway telling the truth!
4. Put shoes on the babies feet and she will walk faster. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I was in no rush for her to walk.
5. Get rid of the cat (rico) because he will steal Julian's breathe as she sleeps. Our cat will not go with 25 feet of her. Never has and possibly never will.
6. Do not do laundry on New Years day or you will be washing dead peoples laundry all year. I am not even going there.
7. An owl hooting means someone you know will die. This one seems to be true. It never fails that when you hear an owl, within 2 weeks, someone you know passes away.
8. When you do hear an owl hoot, turn the shoes you wear over and place them under the bed to keep you or your loved ones from dying.
9. You will catch pneumonia if you go outside without a coat on.
10. Don't eat the crust on your bread or it will make your hair nappy. LOL!
11. Bury your boyfriends underwear in the backyard and he will marry you.

I have tons more from my family but I will stop now! I am surprised that we are not hypocrondriacs or something. For real. I hope these gave you ladies a good chuckle!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Old Wives Tales Empty Re: Old Wives Tales

Post by Sweet Tee 24th July 2010, 3:15 am

Most of these I have NEVER heard of.

But here's some more:

1) When a kid gets chicken pox, give then orange soda & the pox will go away.

2)To make a child walk- stand them in a corner facing outward and sweep them down with a straw broom- they will walk out of the corner immediately
*I actually did this with my son- it worked!*

3) Hand an egg over a baby's doorway in a sock the baby has worn-
it lessen's the teething stage. *I did this too*

4)For ladies- only get your hair cut on a full moon so it will grow back faster.

That's all I can think of right now...
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 28th July 2010, 11:52 pm

Ooo, I have heard about the hair cutting one. That is in the Farmer's Almanac. My mom told me that her grandmother said something about that when she was a little girl.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 30th July 2010, 3:21 pm

I have only heard of 2 & 5 on DreamMerchants list and none of Sweet Teas.

Here are some my Nana used to say:

1. Tickling a baby will make them stutter.

2. Reaching over your head while pregnant will tie the baby's cord around his neck-actually happened to me-thank God for a discerning doctor and and emergency c-section.

3. Whatever you are doing when the new year comes in is what you will e doing all year.

4. When it's raining and sunny, the devil is beating his wife.

5. Kneeling will make your knees dark.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 14th August 2010, 8:33 pm

freckledmom4 wrote:I have only heard of 2 & 5 on DreamMerchants list and none of Sweet Teas.

Here are some my Nana used to say:

1. Tickling a baby will make them stutter.

2. Reaching over your head while pregnant will tie the baby's cord around his neck-actually happened to me-thank God for a discerning doctor and and emergency c-section.

3. Whatever you are doing when the new year comes in is what you will e doing all year.

4. When it's raining and sunny, the devil is beating his wife.

5. Kneeling will make your knees dark.

I have heard of ALL of these!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 25th August 2010, 9:41 pm

I didn't grow up in nor am I from the south (unless you count Baltimore as the south), but I remember that my mom used to tell me that if I lied, my stomach would turn purple, develop a white dot inside, and the dot would keep growing the more I lied and eventually make my stomach rupture.

My mom also used to tell me that if I ate while lying down, the food would stick to the sides of my stomach and not digest correctly.

And that if I cracked my knuckles, my fingers would become really large and mannish.

Then, my aunt used to tell me that if I ate raw fruit seeds (accidentally or otherwise) and drank water, the seeds would sprout and the fruit would grow inside my stomach.

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 7th September 2010, 5:51 pm

1. If you sweep a woman's feet she won't get married.

2. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free. (sleeping with a man before marriage)

3. If you are mad at someone when you are pregnant your baby will look like them.

4. If you point at a graveyard your finger will rot off unless you bite down on it really hard. (not sure where the hell taht one came from)

5. If you eat hot sauce while pregnant your baby will be bald-headed.

Can't think of anyting else.
sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Post by bludini1 7th September 2010, 6:06 pm

1. never put your purse on the floor- your money will be low

2. If your ears are burning- someone is talking about you

3. Never ever split a pole- don't know why to this day

4. If your hand is itching either money or a letter is coming, depending on the hand

5. If you dream of fish- someone is pregnant

6. If you sweep a persons feet- they will go to jail. Unless you conteract the spell by spitting on the broom

I could go on and on. I grew up in a house of supersitious women. LOL

bludini1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down