CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Hair Expo

+2
browncurlygirl
jerseygurlwitdacurls
6 posters

Go down

Natural Hair Expo Empty Natural Hair Expo

Post by jerseygurlwitdacurls 17th July 2010, 2:49 am

Hello Curlies!

It is almost 2 in the morning and I just had this crazy idea about natural hair expos. I would love to plan one for the Philly/South Jersey area, but I have NO experience planning an event of this magnitude. I have an idea of the work that goes into planning a convention, but haven't actually done it. I think it could be a revolutionary event, because it would not only focus on hair, but other aspects of life.

So I pose these questions:

1) Do you think the interest is there for an event like this?
2) Does anyone have experience planning one?
3) Do you think many of our favorite companies (Oyin, KBB, Shea Moisture, Kinky Curly, Carol's Daughter, etc.) would sponsor an event like this?
4) Any suggestions?

I'm new to the blogsphere, but I've been thinking about this for a long time...I just need the spring board to dive in Smile
jerseygurlwitdacurls
jerseygurlwitdacurls

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair Expo Empty Re: Natural Hair Expo

Post by browncurlygirl 17th July 2010, 4:36 pm

Hello Jerserygurlwithdacurls,

I do think that there may be interest in an event like this, however keep in mind that it is a lot of work. Having been a former Marketing Director for major radio stations, I have planned events like 'For Sisters Only', 'Lifestyle Expo' and so on. Just know that you need to create a planning team and more importantly, scale it to a reasonable size at first so that it can grow. It is better to have an event that only holds 100 people max and yet have 75 people attend, then to hold it in a room that holds 500 and 100 attend.
When you solicit sponsors, you have to show them the benefits of being in attendance and they will definitely want to be in attendance. I hope this helps somewhat.
Also, you may want to solicit a radio partner that will help you with the publicity of the event and has a wealth of experience putting together events.
browncurlygirl
browncurlygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Napp_Napp_Cat 17th July 2010, 4:57 pm

I agree with Browncurlygirl

If you find that you dont want to do it alone you can always contact an event planner and get their help and advice. A lot of times at hotels and other meeting room spaces they have event planners to help you. But, they might charge a fee and it might be costly. I agree to start off small and build ip up each time to attract more people.

Networking is another good way to start this. Meet & talk to other people in the event planning industry and you never know what may come out of it.

There may be other naturals in your area on this message board that might want to join you and help plan this! Good luck!!
Napp_Napp_Cat
Napp_Napp_Cat

http://theabccollege.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 17th July 2010, 6:06 pm

Shidanatural just hAd an event in new jersey. She had a very nice turn out. I am sending this msg from my phone so its hard to post links but you should be able to find here on Facebook and YouTube! Good luck and keep me posted, I am from the area and will definitely be interested
thetiffany
thetiffany

http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 19th July 2010, 6:43 pm

I'd be interested in going. Im only about 15 minutes away from ya!

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 5th August 2010, 10:28 pm

great thread ladies!
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content