CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry, Brittle and Crunchy...Help!

+2
PaganWifey
mswawa
6 posters

Go down

Dry, Brittle and Crunchy...Help! Empty Dry, Brittle and Crunchy...Help!

Post by mswawa 12th July 2010, 9:48 pm

Hey CurlyNikki Community,

I am a new NEW transitioner (8 weeks post-relaxer), and could really use some help and encouragement. The tiny new growth that has sprouted up on my scalp is extremely thick, coarse, dry and brittle...what the?!?! Even though most of my hair is relaxed, I started experimenting with natural products/regiments (i.e. coconut oil, co-wash), and apparently I haven't found what works for me. My goal is to BC around the 4th or 5 month.

I have NO desire to get a relaxer and am determined to see this through to the end, but it is WAYYYYY to soon to get discouraged. For those who have transitioned, or far into their transition, was this your experience in the beginning (in other words, is this NORMAL?)? If so, how did you deal with it? Could this be my true hair texture? I have read that most people don't see their true texture into there's at least 3-4 inches of new growth, but is there anyone out there who's new growth stayed the same after several months of transition?

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have been doing a ton of research, but all the information out there can sometimes be overwhelming. THANKS LADIES!!! :-)

mswawa

Back to top Go down

Dry, Brittle and Crunchy...Help! Empty Re: Dry, Brittle and Crunchy...Help!

Post by PaganWifey 13th July 2010, 10:13 am

It could be scab hair. Just hang in there.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 13th July 2010, 7:57 pm

Just hang in there and let your hair grow. When I started transitioning it was and still is extremely thick and dry, my hair just soaks up moisture. For the most part I don't have any problems with it being dry and brittle anymore because I keep it well moisturized. I just let it be and let it grow. No sense in sweating over what your hair may or may not look like. You are right, its way too soon to get discouraged.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 13th July 2010, 10:14 pm

At a little over 5 months into my transition my new growth still gets really dry sometimes. However, initially my new growth was dry all the time, I think it may be a matter of finding the right products, since I discovered what combination of moisturizer and sealant work for me, my hair rarely gets dry. But if it does I know what to do now. So just keep trying to figure out the best combo for your hair. You will be pleasantly surprised @ how wonderful your hair feels.
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 14th July 2010, 12:02 am

My hair looks like tumble weeds on the sides near both my ears. Dry, dry, dry. I expect it'll get better.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mswawa 14th July 2010, 2:58 pm

I will keep trying different products until I find what works for my hair. It might be frustrating trying to run a comb through all this brittleness, but I refuse to be a slave to the creamy crack!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's hard to not think about my hair though. LOL. I have a looooonnnggg ways to go, but despite all my struggles as a new transitioner, I am still excited about the journey! Thanks ladies for your advice and encouragement. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

mswawa

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 14th July 2010, 3:18 pm

I guess it's normal. Do what I do. Take a small section of hair and then straighten the roots. If it looks soft and silky and healthy when straight then yes that is your texture. If it looks almost like the relaxed hair, then it is scab hair which is basically "texturized" or texlaxed hair that came out your head.

Dont worry. Soon enough you will see your hair. And if that's your hair then be proud. Just make sure it stays moist

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down