CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What has your experience been?

+28
ChrsLvsBks
NIAELAN
cinnamoncurlz
natural83
raina
quake_19
Brown Lady
AfrikanLatina
rebelrocks
LuvMeLuvMyFro
Talisa3636
Jonezy
Sexycatch
kinky_situation
BajanPrincess82
sweetdrk1
Tam
Cygnet
naturaltresses1211
TerraD
dajewel
MahoganyCurls
Silky Soul
tiashaunteƩ
*CurlyNikki*
MissT
NowIAmNappy
curlydoesit
32 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What has your experience been? - Page 2 Empty Re: What has your experience been?

Post by rebelrocks 29th October 2009, 4:48 pm

TerraD wrote:I want to try henna, but I am horribly afraid! I have jet black hair with a few brown streaks in the summer. I am worried that my hair will turn brown and I don't want the indigo to turn my hair green [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

according to most websites i've seen...even if your hair does turn green...it will only last a few days until the mixture has full oxidized. Smile green is funky! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

What has your experience been? - Page 2 Empty Re: What has your experience been?

Post by TerraD 29th October 2009, 6:28 pm

Rebelrocks: That is true, green is my favorite color LOL
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 30th October 2009, 12:29 pm

I just did my fourth henna treatment two days ago and I'm quite pleased. The shedding that I have been experiencing has actually reduced the past couple of days. The only issue I have with henna is loosening my already nearly straight hair at the top of my head. The curl pattern here is so loose. I'm going to post pictures in the other thread once my camera charges. I usually deep condition overnight after I henna so I don't experience the dryness. My hair has also changed color slightly but you can only tell in the sunlight or when I take a close up picture of my hair.

Before I henna'd for the first time I stalked forum upon forum trying to get reviews and opinions. The hennaforhair site helped out A LOT. They have a free ebook that you can download in PDF format and I swear reading it was what made me finally decide to do it. Heres the link to the PDF file Henna For Hair Ebook
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 30th October 2009, 3:13 pm

Thanks AfricanLatina I downloaded it to read later!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by Brown Lady 30th October 2009, 3:15 pm

I've used henna a couple of times and I can't say that it changes my hair very much. I suppose it conditions well, but I'm not convinced. Needless to say I will be using it again to see if I really like it.

Brown Lady

http://realnaturalhigh.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by quake_19 30th October 2009, 3:21 pm

I actually went home this afternoon during lunch so I could mix up my henna to be applied this afternoon. I mixed it with full fat yogurt, grapeseed oil, honey, and green tea. I did henna every other week almost last year for about 2-3 months and saw great improvement in my hair. My hair was very shiny and didn't frizz nearly as often. My curls were very 'lush'! It's a great conditioning treatment, but I don't think it loosened my curls any. If anything they were just a lot more conditioned, therefore they clumped together more and I didn't have to use as much products on my hair to have definition.
quake_19
quake_19

http://public.fotki.com/curlycrecia/

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 31st October 2009, 1:07 am

I am allergic to hair dye so henna has been good for me. I have some gray hairs now and the henna turns them a pretty coppery color. I use yemen henna (thanks to curly nikki). I henna about once a month . Less shedding my hair feels stronger curls are a little looser but i am still waiting on the shine lol! Oh it does make my hair dry but i just deep condition afterwars ds and then its ok. I have medium to fine hair and i get overconditoned easily so henna helps with that too.
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 31st October 2009, 11:33 pm

I've never done a Henna treatment before, but after reading all the great reviews, Im definitely going to give it a try. The benefits of it that Im hearing is everything that I want for my hair! Im going to definitely need some help...for real! Like step by step instructions! I want to make sure im doing it right! Can someone tell me where I need to order the stuff to make it with??? Totally lost, but anxious! LOL!

Natural83
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by cinnamoncurlz 2nd November 2009, 5:24 pm

My experience has been a looser curl pattern and softer hair (at first)*.

*A bad experience that I have is that my hair becomes extremely dry --almost straw (hay) like even. It takes about 2 days for the softness to kick in again.

I heard that a deep conditioner is needed the next day or the day of. Also, is there a set amount of time to leave the Henna on your hair? The first time I left it on overnight and had great results. The second time I only kept it on for about 6 hrs and the results were almost non-existent. Any thoughts on this?

@MahoganyCurls I LOVE YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS. I'm a subscriber (ladyporter). Keep up the good work. Your hair is divine.
cinnamoncurlz
cinnamoncurlz

http://cinnamoncurlz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NIAELAN 3rd November 2009, 6:43 pm

My experience has been great! My mix is simple. I only add green tea, powdered ginger (makes the mix smell better) and honey. I rinse/co-wash using a cheap conditioner. A deep conditioner treatment is a MUST after rinsing!!!!!! I noticed the following after the first treatment:

1. my hair felt stronger
2. shedding was virtually NON-EXISTENT

Subsequent treatments:

1. My hair feels better
2. I use less products
3. The products work better

I would recommend that first timers visit the henna for hair site www.hennaforhair.com for more info.

Everything does not work the same for everyone but i'm a "HENNA CHICK FOR LIFE" cheers

NIAELAN

Back to top Go down

Post by cinnamoncurlz 3rd November 2009, 6:58 pm

@NIAELAN: When you say ginger...do you mean like...ginger in the seasoning aisle? Ginger I use in recipes on my food type Ginger? Hmm, never thought of that. I MUST try that the next time. Hubby isn't feeling the green bean like smell coming from my hair when I sleep in it overnight. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Does anyone know about the hibiscus flower [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ? I've seen youtube video's on putting that in the henna. I couldn't tell in the video but HOW RED does it become??
cinnamoncurlz
cinnamoncurlz

Back to top Go down

Post by NIAELAN 5th November 2009, 8:18 pm

@cinnamoncurlz: I add powdered ginger from the seasoning aisle! It definitely makes it smell better:) My hubby has grown accustomed to the various sights (me in my "henna helmet" What a Face ) and smells (henna, acv....) of my hair journey. He just shakes his head and tries to stay out of the way.

**My cousin will use peppermint tea and powdered cloves (from the seasoning aisle) in her mix this weekend. I'll let you know how that works....

NIAELAN

Back to top Go down

What has your experience been? - Page 2 Empty Step by Step Instructions of How I do a Henna Treatment

Post by ChrsLvsBks 6th November 2009, 12:09 pm

natural83 wrote:I've never done a Henna treatment before, but after reading all the great reviews, Im definitely going to give it a try. The benefits of it that Im hearing is everything that I want for my hair! Im going to definitely need some help...for real! Like step by step instructions! I want to make sure im doing it right! Can someone tell me where I need to order the stuff to make it with??? Totally lost, but anxious! LOL!

Natural83

I have applied henna (Jamila brand) at least three times. I purchase mine from local Indian stores for $3.99 a box. I use two boxes for my hair. My hair is SL when curly and APL when stretched. I simply add water to the mixture until it is the consistency of pudding. The first time I did a treatment I added ACV to the mix--don't do this. The smell is horrible.

I let the henna sit for at least 12 hours. I typically prepare it after work on Friday (approx. 6 PM) and apply it Saturday morning (9 AM). I prepare my bathroom by covering the floor with newspaper and the sink with plastic wrap.

I apply the henna to my sectioned hair. I apply the henna to a one inch section. I apply it thick and let it touch my scalp to ensure I am getting my grays good. In addition, I kind of smush the henna into my hair to ensure good coverage of the hair. I then wrap my hair in two layers of plastic wrap to keep the henna moist. I leave it in my hair for at least three hours. I then fill my sink with water and dunk my head in to rid my hair of most of the henna. I then rinse, rinse and rinse some more. I then co-wash a couple of times and deep condition for another hour. I deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner, coconut oil and honey. I then rinse and apply more moisturizing conditioner as a leave-in.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cinnamoncurlz 7th November 2009, 2:05 am

You know what, I never let. It sit overnight. I must have missed that step lol. Did it make much of a difference?
cinnamoncurlz
cinnamoncurlz

Back to top Go down

Post by ty 7th November 2009, 3:45 pm

Since I've started using henna I've noticed my hair is shinier and stronger. I have less frizz and less shedding right after a henna app. And my strands are smoother. I'm not sure if has significantly contributed to growth, but my curls so seem a bit loose after I henna.
ty
ty

http://tysnaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nikki0507 11th November 2009, 11:30 am

dajewel wrote:
sweetdrk1 wrote:all the good testimonies, but I am intimidated but this. I will sit this one out for now....

ditto

Don't be intimidated ladies!! It's as easy as mixing cake batter! Apply to your hair and wrap it up and when you rinse it out hours later you have UBER silky soft and strong hair. The hair color is just an added benefit! And if red tint isn't your thing, use a little Indigo! I've only done it twice, but I love it! Once you try it you'll be hooked!
nikki0507
nikki0507

Back to top Go down

Post by lilyinmyafro 11th November 2009, 11:53 am

I've done it once and can't wait to do it again.
But I'm going to have to... been doing too much online shopping lately
lilyinmyafro
lilyinmyafro

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 11th November 2009, 12:17 pm

My hair loves henna and I love the color (when mixed with indigo)
Stronger, more shiny, less frizzy hair!
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

What has your experience been? - Page 2 Empty Response to Cinnamoncurlz

Post by ChrsLvsBks 11th November 2009, 1:51 pm

cinnamoncurlz wrote:You know what, I never let. It sit overnight. I must have missed that step lol. Did it make much of a difference?

When I do treatments, I always let the henna sit overnight. I have done both henna glosses and indigo glosses. When I do those, I just mix the henna or indigo with water and mix with conditioner.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PanaR3dd 12th November 2009, 2:49 am

hola mamitas...question..i've decided i want to henna so i discussed it with my mother so now she wants to try also..we're gonna bond over henna lol yay!..but she has alot of gray so will she have to also use the indigo or will she just be ok with the henna alone? i have read that henna leaves a red tint and i dont want my mothers hair to look like a tomato lol.......oh yeah i have never posted b4 so i have no idea where this is going to end up so if it pops up here in the wrong place im sorry lol
PanaR3dd
PanaR3dd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum