CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair routines and other thoughts

+5
ChrsLvsBks
HappyCurly
Naturally Esq
nieshasharay
gigihaitiancurly
9 posters

Go down

Hair routines and other thoughts Empty Hair routines and other thoughts

Post by gigihaitiancurly 24th June 2010, 2:16 am

So I was I asked to repost this as a new thread. In the I hate it hair pet peeves thread I was asked to explain my hair routine and the products I use and here was my response:

I don't really have a routine... I wash my hair every time I feel like it and cowash the days I feel my hair is clean but could use a little moisturizing. I had my hair in a TWA for about a year because I liked it that way and I wasn't ready for all the work longer hair demands. Then, I did A LOT of wash and go's.. basically everyday! I used to just put my head under the shower in the morning, splash some Softsheen Carson Care free curls instant curl activator gold (I love that thing! makes my hair soo soft and moisturized for days!) and head out. But now that I have decided to let my hair grow, the wash and go (and the summer weather!) is not working anymore. I have about 5 inches of hair on my head and I have no idea what to do with it. The only products I use are herbal essence hello hydration condish, plamers coconut conditioner, raw Shea butter ( don't like it too much because it's too greasy), carefree curls instant activator and eco styler gel olive oil for when I have no idea of what else to do....

I seriously need help with my growing hair otherwise I'm gonna go crazy. If you have any suggestion of what I can do and what I should try (with a cheap college student budget) PLEASE let me know. I would love your input ladies.

Gigi
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Hair routines and other thoughts Empty Re: Hair routines and other thoughts

Post by nieshasharay 24th June 2010, 4:52 am

i think you wash it to much. Do you deep condition? Why don't you two strand twist it, that way you could wear your hair in that as a protective style or let it out which would reduce washing. What's really helped me is looking at various youtube videos for styles and such. i also like to do little curl style with rollers or something like finger coils. that could be cute. all you need is gel, wet hair and a finger.
nieshasharay
nieshasharay

http://ohhoneychild.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 24th June 2010, 8:21 am

I agree. You need a weekly routine that includes deep conditioning. First, I think that you need to assess the moisture/protein balance of your hair so that you can use products that will provide what your hair needs. Here is a link to help you:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

Thanks for starting a new thread.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 24th June 2010, 11:17 am

I really like oils, because I think that they generally don't have preservatives in them. I like knowing that it is simply the oil, not it and a fancy color. I am still new to this and figuring out what to do. but so far i just wash, condition, and seal with a mix of oil and water.

maybe you should add an oil to the routine and drop the gel/activator? some one recommended just twists, you could do just oil with just twists i think.

it takes time to find the oil that you like. this week i tried grapeseed oil and it is awesome so far. i've also tried olive oil and coconut oil and jojoba oil, they didn't seem quite as moisturizing for leaving in. the local nutrition / vitamin store should have a selection of oils. i have only used carrier oils, but i've read women write on here that essential oils, like rosemary, can be added to the carrier ones to help increase growth.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 24th June 2010, 12:59 pm

gigihaitiancurly wrote:But now that I have decided to let my hair grow, the wash and go (and the summer weather!) is not working anymore. I have about 5 inches of hair on my head and I have no idea what to do with it. The only products I use are herbal essence hello hydration condish, plamers coconut conditioner, raw Shea butter ( don't like it too much because it's too greasy), carefree curls instant activator and eco styler gel olive oil for when I have no idea of what else to do....
Hi, Gigi, What isn't working for you anymore? It sound slike your product selection is good. I do see you are missing a sealer (typically oils and/or butters).
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 24th June 2010, 8:19 pm

No I don't deep condition.... I used to hate it when my mom did it for me when I was a kid... maybe that's why I haven't tried yet...

The two strand twist is a good idea! But when I do them I think I look like a fool. Not only I do them alone, but after a while my arms hurt so much that I do them haphazardly and thicker than the first ones just so I can get it over with... I also have the problem of: the back of my head is like 2 inches shorter than the middle so when I do twist or cornrows they just look off therefore I always end up taking them out the next morning.

As for the gel/activator... I only use them when I'm in a hurry and I wake up 20 minutes before 9 (I'm supposed to start working at 9!) so I can look decent in half a second... And for the oils.. although I don't like them (Never did!! My best friend gave me that carrot hair food when I was in 11 grade ... i'm 22 now! and the jar is still full!!) I was actually looking for jojoba oil today but it was really expensive so I just left the place without getting it
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 24th June 2010, 8:24 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
Hi, Gigi, What isn't working for you anymore? It sound slike your product selection is good. I do see you are missing a sealer (typically oils and/or butters).[/quote]

I don't really know.... My hair used to be very curly by itself and retained a lot of moisture when I had my TWA... now that it's longer it's very dry and frizzy and unmanageable.... I'm actually very tempted to go to the barber shop again this week
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 24th June 2010, 8:40 pm

you're right. the jojoba oil is pricy, like ten dollars for a little bottle, but what about other oils? olive oil from the grocery store isn't as pricy. when I'm not in a mood to be dripping in oil, i thin it down with water. it's a little hard to mix oil and water...i have to re-mix often or it separates. but i like the result, not so oily, but still seems to do the job.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 24th June 2010, 8:40 pm

don't cut yet. if the twists look shorter in the back, what about pinning them up with bobby pins? and have the front hanging down?

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 24th June 2010, 8:53 pm

hehe I'm not gonna cut! I've challenged myself to grow at least 9 inches of hair.
I'm a real low-ER maintenance girl and it's a real challenge for me to do so, but trust me I'm not cutting Razz

I haven't thought about mixing oil and water. I actually have Haitian castor oil (it's SUPER unrefined and it smells a little bit) i'll try that tonight Smile

Thankss
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 24th June 2010, 9:38 pm

I agree that you need a sealant and probably you need to try a deep conditioning treatment and see if that helps with the dryness. You may be able to find coconut oil at Wal-Mart that is not all that expensive. Also, you can order very reasonably priced Shea Butter from Butters-n-Bars for like $5.00 and shipping. I still have a half pound tub and I bought it a while ago.

Everyone's hair is different, but the wash and go's work for me all the time, however, I am sealing every day I wet my hair. That's the best thing I've learned at this site. Try it, that might rectify your dryness issue. Good luck! *And don't cut it yet!!! Hang in there girl!
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 25th June 2010, 10:38 am

gigihaitiancurly wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:
Hi, Gigi, What isn't working for you anymore? It sound slike your product selection is good. I do see you are missing a sealer (typically oils and/or butters).

I don't really know.... My hair used to be very curly by itself and retained a lot of moisture when I had my TWA... now that it's longer it's very dry and frizzy and unmanageable.... I'm actually very tempted to go to the barber shop again this week[/quote]Upping your moisture can help--try bagging at night, DCing at least once a week and moisturizing and sealing in the morning. You could also spritz hair a bit before adding moisturizer and sealing in the morning and at night. Add moisture until your hair looks and feels moisturized. You may be surprised how some sections require more while others only need a little.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 25th June 2010, 10:52 am

You should definitely try incorporating deep condtioning treatments to your regimen. If you're lazy like me, sometimes I baggy my hair overnight and that helps add moisture. If your hair is long enough you could try rollersets even if it's with small perm rods or bantu knotouts which are my fav. If EVOO is too heavy for you during this time of year try jojoba or sweet almond oil.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 25th June 2010, 1:17 pm

Sorry to sound stupid but what's bagging??
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveleeMama 26th June 2010, 3:30 pm

I just got some Jojoba oil from trader joes for $6.99. I think its a 6-8oz bottle. Love TJs
LoveleeMama
LoveleeMama

Back to top Go down

Hair routines and other thoughts Empty Bagging

Post by Naturally Esq 26th June 2010, 5:33 pm

gigihaitiancurly wrote:Sorry to sound stupid but what's bagging??

Bagging or the bagging method is putting conditioner and/or oils on your hair, covering your hair with a plastic cap or plastic bag and not taking the plastic cap or bag off for several hours or the next day: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/grow-long-f9/baggy-method-t1257.htm?highlight=bagging+method

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Hair routines and other thoughts Empty Bagging

Post by Naturally Esq 26th June 2010, 5:35 pm

Bagging or the bagging method is putting conditioner and/or oils on your hair, covering your hair with a plastic cap or plastic bag and not taking the plastic cap or bag off for several hours or the next day: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/grow-long-f9/baggy-method-t1257.htm?highlight=bagging+method

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 26th June 2010, 5:38 pm

Bagging is applying conditioner and/or oils to your hair, covering your hair with a plastic cap or plastic bag, and leaving it on for a few hours or over night: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/grow-long-f9/baggy-method-t1257.htm?highlight=bagging+method

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 26th June 2010, 7:39 pm

Oh okay thanks Smile I'll probably try it next week because I just made that awesome protective style, which took me hours :-( that I'm planning to rock all week (or as long as I can stand to see my face in the same style.
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 26th June 2010, 7:54 pm

Which protective style? Seems like you are making progress with your hair?
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Starch Girl 26th June 2010, 7:56 pm

Gigi,

I use many of the same products you do and I have 4A/4B hair and I have been able to retain alot of moisture because of a few tips I've learned here at CN.com.

1) Clarify your hair at least once per month or if you need a clean hair base to assess your hair.
2) Deep condition as often as you can. I only get under the dryer for a good old fashioned DC once per month, but at least 1-2 other times per month, I create a mix of conditioner (usually Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner and Castor Oil) and put on a shower cap over night.
3) I just did my first Henna Gloss (using CN's recipe and some cheap Indian Grocery store henna) last week and the look and feel of my hair has been incredible!
4) I put my hair in about 40 small two strand twists with a small bit of shea butter and castor oil and Infusium Leave In conditioner. I leave those in overnight and then untwist in the morning for a twist out. The style lasts for 4-5 days and I add more castor oils after day 2 and 4.

HTH! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Starch Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 26th June 2010, 9:31 pm

Naturally Esq wrote:Which protective style? Seems like you are making progress with your hair?

Yes I am Smile
After reading the stuff you ladies posted, I put many of the tips in application and my hair has been feeling wayyyy for moisturized.
I made that leave in conditioner with Palmers coconut conditioner Castor oil, olive oil (from my pantry Razz) and water mixed all together in a container and I have been twisting my hair more often with that and spritz of water and my hair has been feeling great so that has inspired me to try other things, hence protective style Smile

But I have to confess this hair business is taking so much time and I better have Michel obama arms after I reach my goal of 9 inches long hair Razz
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 26th June 2010, 9:34 pm

Starch Girl wrote:Gigi,

I use many of the same products you do and I have 4A/4B hair and I have been able to retain alot of moisture because of a few tips I've learned here at CN.com.

1) Clarify your hair at least once per month or if you need a clean hair base to assess your hair.
2) Deep condition as often as you can. I only get under the dryer for a good old fashioned DC once per month, but at least 1-2 other times per month, I create a mix of conditioner (usually Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner and Castor Oil) and put on a shower cap over night.
3) I just did my first Henna Gloss (using CN's recipe and some cheap Indian Grocery store henna) last week and the look and feel of my hair has been incredible!
4) I put my hair in about 40 small two strand twists with a small bit of shea butter and castor oil and Infusium Leave In conditioner. I leave those in overnight and then untwist in the morning for a twist out. The style lasts for 4-5 days and I add more castor oils after day 2 and 4.

HTH! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yes it does! everything that I read here helps me so much.
Although I did 2 strands twist thursday night, about 30 of them, by today my hair was in no more twist out shape :-\
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down