CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paying it Forward

4 posters

Go down

Paying it Forward Empty Paying it Forward

Post by Free2Be 28th May 2010, 4:33 am

I took my parents out to Red Robin for their May birthdays and our server was wearing a cute TWA with a cute little headband w/a flower or something. I am always eager to discuss natural hair now so I simply complimented her on her hair and she beamed. She told me she just BC'd this Monday and was trying to learn how to care for it, etc.

She had to leave to put our order in, but I quickly jotted down the CN website address on a slip of paper and when it was time to go I gave it to her and explained about the forums, etc. She was really excited because she didn't know what sort of products to use, etc.

I'm so happy! If it weren't for this site, I don't know what my head would look like now, kwim? It was funny because my dad asked me later, "Hey, I didn't know you knew our waitress." LOL I told him I didn't know her, but that we are natural hair sisters. He just stared.

I hope she stops by! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I just wanted to post and encourage us to speak up...you never know who might benefit from hearing about this site or need that little word of encouragement to keep on the curly path.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Paying it Forward Empty Re: Paying it Forward

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th May 2010, 8:19 pm

I agree! We all were helped along the way and as we continue to care for our hair.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 28th May 2010, 8:43 pm

I agree as well.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasha B. 28th May 2010, 10:42 pm

Oh, that's awesome! woot! Yay you for not only directing her to a site like CN, but for encouraging her and complimenting her. I notice some curlies don't always play nice with each other, and can sometimes be less than cordial when there's another natural girl in the room.

((applause)) dance
Sasha B.
Sasha B.

http://thisisshe.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 29th May 2010, 12:26 am

I just remembered something e lse my father said last night. After he saw me speaking to this young lady he looked around the restaurant and said, "So, this is some new trend? I see a lot of women in here with 'afros' like yours." I said, "NO, it is NOT. You're just finally noticing their hair because I've brought my own hair struggles to your attention."

He and my brother are always teasing me about my 'fro...so we've had some words...many times. Anyway, I can't believe he said that. My mom has been wearing her hair natural for the past several years and half of the women at church wear their hair natural. Maybe it's a man thing and he truly hasn't noticed it until last night. LOL
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasha B. 29th May 2010, 12:58 am

Free2Be wrote:I just remembered something e lse my father said last night. After he saw me speaking to this young lady he looked around the restaurant and said, "So, this is some new trend? I see a lot of women in here with 'afros' like yours." I said, "NO, it is NOT. You're just finally noticing their hair because I've brought my own hair struggles to your attention."

He and my brother are always teasing me about my 'fro...so we've had some words...many times. Anyway, I can't believe he said that. My mom has been wearing her hair natural for the past several years and half of the women at church wear their hair natural. Maybe it's a man thing and he truly hasn't noticed it until last night. LOL

Ya know, I think you may be right. Just a few hours after I BC'd, my dad said something to the effect of "Don't let any women try to hit on you..." I was like...what? Neutral
Even now, almost 4 months later he still makes little snide remarks about it looking "nappy" (in the negative context).
I'm just like, why can't my chop be about me just doing something new and discovering something I didn't know about myself?

Why make something positive seem negative?

*shrugs*

Whatever...lol/smh
Sasha B.
Sasha B.

http://thisisshe.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down