CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THEY SAY MEAN THINGS

+25
dajewel
R2D2
busyLiLmoptop
jo*jo*curls
poeticlyspkng
mverde3
authenticbeauty
tashafawn24
tnictay
kim
Janet36603
sunbaby
BlakButterfli
pdarden
novembre
tresmom08
TheRYL1
MissCurly
fnggrant
MikMont
sweetdrk1
Delta87
~JOME~
MsJay1121
sjoyreed
29 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

THEY SAY MEAN THINGS - Page 2 Empty Re: THEY SAY MEAN THINGS

Post by Juices-n-Berries 7th May 2010, 2:22 pm

I haven't had a negative comment yet but when I do I've decided to say
something random about them. Example: Me: I don't like your shoes.
Negative
Person: What? Me: I thought we were sharing opinions no one asked for.

I'm using this next time!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 7th May 2010, 2:59 pm

"sjoyreed, people (and I'm talking about some black people such as friends and family) are afraid to stand out and go against the grain so they like to bring others down who shine way too much! Honey, it's hard to be a bright light in a dark tunnel but the light is the truth and people don't like the truth so they want to stay hidden in the dark.

Our hair is the most unique type of hair there is; there's nothing on this planet like it and finally after all these years of our hair being looked at and labeled as 'bad' or 'ugly' people are beginning to see the beauty in it. This is why we are all here, to explore what was hidden from us all of this time and share it with anyone who is willing to explore their hair as well"

Tashafawn24...SAY IT!!! :-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by YuNeka V. 15th May 2010, 9:49 pm

@Blackbutterfli...you had me rolling w/ the comment to the husband! LOVE IT!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

@Sjoyreed....Hon, there is a respectful, but stern way you can put folks in their place. When I first rocked my natural (a wk ago), I had it in my mind that I will snap on whom ever had something negative to say especially since I was already nervous about wearing it. So, a male co-worker made a comment about the length (and he was trying to be funny) and I told him to sit his a$$ down and he just looked at me sorta funny. So, about a hr. later, he came to me and asked if I was upset w/ him because that was my 1st time ever cussin' at him and I just told him that he always got some mess to say. He then humbled himself and started giving me compliements on my hair.

So, the moral of my story is...once you put your foot down and defend yourself, people will change up their attitudes! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I would love to see some pix of your hair.
YuNeka V.
YuNeka V.

https://s887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/YuNekaV/UnekCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 15th May 2010, 10:49 pm

I got the Miss Kizzie form Roots comment this morning from the soon to be ex! (well he wasn't soon to be before he made the comment!) My daughter reminds me daily that my hair is nappy.

I did get a nasty sneer from a transgendered woman in center city not too long ago. This sounds weird but it did sting a little. I examined my reaction and in the end, I think I was just jealous because she was pretty hot!

The truth is beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me a head full of undamaged hair, deep color and sheen is a sign of sexiness, strength and fashion. To others it's just a sign of what they don't have, not that bald spots from too many relaxers is bad. I'm just sayin'.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 15th May 2010, 10:53 pm

Your mom means well I bet so I would be tolerant. But your co-worker? Snort. It would be all I could do not to ask her if she's seen a doctor about her scalp "issues".

The husband - well... I am still working on that one myself.

Seriously, people will always make comments and we all get them - even as we make them to others. I wouldn't worry about it because it doesn't matter.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 16th May 2010, 1:08 am

So sorry you are feeling down. I've been natural for over 12yrs and have only had 1 negative comment directed at me. Right after I did my cut (went from SL perm to scalp cut overnight), I walked into my lab and a coworker yelled, "OMG, what did you do to your hair??" I replied, "I cut it!!" She then said, "Well I like the other way better!!" And I replied, well that's good to know, but this is the NEW ME so get used to it!!

This does not pertain to you, but I often feel like some naturals walk around w/ a sense of being uncomfortable wearing their natural hair or they just don't do anything to their hair so it looks all dry and unkept (aka a hot mess). As a result, folks prey upon this and feel the need to make snide comments.

I am one who doesn't tolerate much nonsense. And folks who know/meet me that I am beyond comfortable with my thick fluffy hair. So the way I feel is, if anyone does have a (-) comment, they definitely aren't directing it towards me......
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2