CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

::Soleil::

+13
jcanalena79
TheRYL1
NubieNatty
CurlsGalore
curlsunfurled
sweetdrk1
KinkyNappyHappy
poeticlyspkng
SheeTacular
bholmes87
CrissyQ
Lynnieluve
soleil
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

::Soleil:: Empty ::Soleil::

Post by soleil 5th May 2010, 9:30 pm

Hi! I am very new to this forum, though I have been lurking the CN site since the beginning of my journey. Lol! I guess I finally decided to join because my friends and family are getting tired of me talking about my hair. Especially my husband because he's a guy and doesn't understand why I am so obsessed with it! He listens patiently, but I feel for him!

Just a quick intro to my journey:

My name is Aisha Soleil (the "Ai" in my name is pronounced like it is in the word "rain". It makes me cringe when people pronounce it Eye-ee-sha. That's not how my parents meant for it to sound!). I have been natural for what will be 8 months on May 15th. In a nut shell, I had been relaxed most of my life but in 2009 I finally got fed up with the roller coaster that was my hair. It would grow long, only to break again! It was a vicious cycle. My "hair lady" for three years (before, my mom took care of my hair) was actually a Natural diva and I would look at her hair with lust in my eyes. LOL! She talked to me about going natural, but I wasn't having it! She didn't push me though. I think she knew I would reach a breaking point.
It was during a long stretch in between relaxers (I didn't have time at ALL to go to the salon because of work and school), that I met a young lady who was natural. She was from D.C. and was just passing through Oklahoma and happened to stop by the store I worked in at the time. We ended up talking about hair and she shared her story. She was so inspiring! From that day on, all I could talk about was transitioning to natural. My friends encouraged me, but I don't think they really thought I'd go through with it.
A friend of mine who is also a licensed beautician, was one of my supporters. She kept my hair braided up and styled while I figured out what I wanted to do. I transitioned all of 3 months when I called her and said, "You know what, I'm ready!" So, we set the date (Sept. 15, 2009) and the rest is history. I thought I would be upset when I finally got my BC, but no! I had never felt so beautiful! My hair has grown considerably since then, and I love it dearly, but there are some times when I miss my 2 inch fro! LOL!

Well, that's it in a very small nutshell. There is so much more to my story, and I would love to reveal it little by little here in my "journal"!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Soleil sunny
soleil
soleil

Back to top Go down

::Soleil:: Empty Re: ::Soleil::

Post by Lynnieluve 5th May 2010, 9:36 pm

Welcome to the Curl Street Journal!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by soleil 5th May 2010, 9:44 pm

Thanks so much!
soleil
soleil

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 5th May 2010, 10:57 pm

Hi and welcome
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 5th May 2010, 11:00 pm

Hey miss lady!!! Your name is so pretty Very Happy I'm sure you'll enjoy posting on Curl Street, neighbor Wink
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 5th May 2010, 11:13 pm

welcome!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 5th May 2010, 11:21 pm

Welcome Aisha! Can't wait to see more pics of you and your hair. Your name is beautiful; have you named your hair yet?
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by soleil 6th May 2010, 12:13 am

Hi all! Thanks so much for the welcomes and the compliments on my name! It took me years to like the name my parents gave me, lol! It's not what one would call "normal". Haha!

@poeticlyspkng: I will definitely be posting more pics soon! My avatar pic is actually fairly old, so I need to post some updated ones! My hair has grown a lot since then! Also, I have yet to name my hair... but I will post on here when I do!
soleil
soleil

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 6th May 2010, 8:28 am

Welcome Aisha!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 6th May 2010, 10:44 am

Welcome to Curl Street!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by curlsunfurled 6th May 2010, 8:31 pm

Hello and Welcome.
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 6th May 2010, 8:56 pm

Hey Soleil! Welcome to the block!

Thanks for sharing your story and your journey! Our stories are somewhat similar. My bestie did her BC before me and I decided to transition and go for it. She and I set up the date and 3 months later, I'm down to 1/2" of hair! Congrats on making it 8 months! It just gets better and better! Glad to have you!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 7th May 2010, 11:03 am

lol, remember that ABC song (oh wait u might be too young) "Ieeeesha u are the girl that i never had and i want to get to know u better...Ieeeha u know i want u so bad and theres nothin anyone can do"

anyhoo, i hate when people misprounce my name too and people get an attitude when i correct them cuz they put an E in my name or call me Tykisha instead of Tuh-kisha even though my name is actually spelled TiKisha ::Soleil:: Icon_rolleyes

::Soleil:: 678474 welcome! love the story, u bc'd about 15 days before me (sept. 30...or was it the 29th ::Soleil:: Confused i gotta check my journal)
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by soleil 8th May 2010, 8:21 pm

@NubieNatty: You know what, I actually do remember that song! I have cousins who are just a little older than I am, and I remember hearing that... and I'm pretty sure they used the song to tease me! LMBO! Also, hurray for our natural hair having the same "birth" month!

@CurlsGalore: Thank you so very much! I can't believe how quickly 8 months has flown by! I am already thinking about how I am going to celebrate my 1 year kinky-versary! LOL.
soleil
soleil

Back to top Go down

Post by soleil 8th May 2010, 9:06 pm

¡Hola mis chicas magníficas!
So... I experienced my first moment of frustration with my hair this week. Honestly, I have been nothing but excited and in love with my hair since she made her natural debut. But this past week we hit a little bump in our relationship. The problem is that my hair is in that awkward stage that I guess can be compared to adolescence. It is too short to do many of the cute and fun styles that I see here or on YouTube, etc. But, it is too long for me to get away with doing virtually nothing to it, like I did when my B.C. was still fresh. You know what? I believe I really miss my Teeny tiny TWA. I mean, I still fit into the TWA category... but it's not the same! I have never been that into styling my hair. When I was relaxed, I wore it either in a ponytail/bun, half-up/half-down (y'all remember that style?!), or when I got older I just wore it completely down and out. And I rocked a lot of braids (Like Brandy! lol. I still think of her when I think about braid extentions) when I felt extra lazy.
I have tried putting my hair in protective styles like twists but I feel like the style is a little to "funky" for work because of the length of my hair. If my hair were longer, I would sooooo rock two-strand twists more often because I would be able to try up-do's with them like so many other naturals I have seen.
I thought about getting braids or kinky twists put in, but I know better! I wouldn't be able to keep them in long enough to get my money's worth. (There is no way I would do it myself because I would end up looking like a hot mess!) I know I would be itching to take them out so I can play in my hair. (Yes, I have a baaaaaaaad case of HIH!)
For the past couple of weeks I have been pulling my hair back in a puff. Don't get me wrong, I love my puff! But, I feel myself getting bored with my hair!
I ordered some henna a few weeks ago because I thought that maybe if I add a little hint of color that it will liven things up. I think I might try it next weekend. I will probably go lurking in the Henna area and see if I can find some good advice/mixtures/etc.
Alright. So, that was my rant. Do any of you awesome ladies have any suggestions on what I can do to keep my relationship with my hair from turning stale? Lingerie works on my husband, but Mo (my hair's name! Sort for Morena, which is the word for dark hair in Spanish. Side note: I am currently majoring in the Spanish language!) would be less than impressed by skimpy silky things! LOL.

Thanks for reading!!!

Aisha Soleil sunny
soleil
soleil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th May 2010, 10:07 pm

Roxie (my hair's name) is in the awkward stage too. I miss my TWA too...especially when I venture into the TWA Challenge thread. Roxie is long enough now to do twist pin up styles and I am happy about that. I am currently in the Twist Challenge (wear twist M-F and twist out on the weekend). When I wear my hair out, I either pin the sides back, some variation of flat twist in the front and fro in the back, or a puff.

Check out Summyr1988's recent flat twist/braid contest entries. I checked out a few I like and I could actually recreate with my own little twist.