CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I can be a big sis...

+4
HappyCurly
jaylin20032003
KinkyNappyHappy
Mzsweetsmile83
8 posters

Go down

I can be a big sis... Empty I can be a big sis...

Post by Mzsweetsmile83 4th May 2010, 3:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Hey Dolls, I'm no expert but I am willing to share my knowledge. I have 4a/4b hair and I've been natural since Aug 09. I transition for roughly five months.

My routines for washing, conditioning are fairly simple. I use alot of natural ingredients in my hair. I've learned the most of how to style, maintain and take care of my hair from youtube...in particular, Kimmaytube. She's amazing!

Let me know, if I can help you in any way. For more on my hair care routine visit my bolg. I have it all written out step by step.

Take Care [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Mzsweetsmile83
Mzsweetsmile83

http://mzsweetsmile83.blogspot.com/ , https://www.youtube.com/mzsweet

Back to top Go down

I can be a big sis... Empty Re: I can be a big sis...

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 4th May 2010, 7:24 pm

Mzsweetsmile83 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Hey Dolls, I'm no expert but I am willing to share my knowledge. I have 4a/4b hair and I've been natural since Aug 09. I transition for roughly five months.

My routines for washing, conditioning are fairly simple. I use alot of natural ingredients in my hair. I've learned the most of how to style, maintain and take care of my hair from youtube...in particular, Kimmaytube. She's amazing!

Let me know, if I can help you in any way. For more on my hair care routine visit my bolg. I have it all written out step by step.

Take Care [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hi Mzsweetsmile83

Dva just posted that she was looking for a big sister. Can you check her out?

Thanks
KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

I can be a big sis... Empty in search of big sis

Post by jaylin20032003 4th May 2010, 10:30 pm

Hey, my name is Denea, and I just bc'd on 4/26/10, havent had a relaxer since Dec 09 (about 5 months). Any tips on products, protective styles, ANYTHING will be greatly appreciated. My hair is about an inch long, and I wear wigs during the day, but dont know what to do with my hair while its under the wig, or at night when I go to sleep.
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Mzsweetsmile83 4th May 2010, 11:09 pm

Hey Denea, the best thing to do is try and keep it mositurized with different oils (castor, grapeseed are good ones.) Castor is heavy and the Grapeseed it lighter. Moisture is best thing for your hair.

At night sleep with at satin bonnett, then in the morning re-moisturize it.

When I had a TWA, I learned that water was my friend and I would wet everyday and wear it out.

Are you not comfortable with your current look? If you are, honey ditch the wig and rock your TWA!

Check out MsVCharles on youtube she has a TWA and let me know what you think. HTH [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOBzViCrbgs&playnext_from=TL&videos=s2J94LdbQkc
Mzsweetsmile83
Mzsweetsmile83

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 4th May 2010, 11:25 pm

thanks, i really appreciate it. im not quite comfortable yet because it seems like my hair is 2 different textures. i can see the curls, which are very tight and like coils, they spring back when i stretch them, but then some parts seem straighter, even though all the relaxer has been cut off. and then it seems a little longer in the front, and more uneven in the back. i can tell that at the center of my head, its alot shorter than the rest...idk if i should cut more off to even it out, or just give it more time to adjust.
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 4th May 2010, 11:50 pm

good question!! I wish I knew the answer.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mzsweetsmile83 5th May 2010, 1:27 am

Personally I would even it all out(professionally) becasue I would want it all the same length simply for the fact of it being short and as it grows out then maybe I would think of putting layers in it but not with a TWA, it'll make it seem like your whole head is uneven but that's just me.
Mzsweetsmile83
Mzsweetsmile83

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 5th May 2010, 3:08 pm

I watched the clip from MsVCharles, and I tried it today, and it turned out pretty good. I had watched another clip that said its a little easier to trim when your hair is wet, so I did that and found ALOT of ends I missed! I went ahead and tried to even it out, and it looks pretty good. I bought some shea butter oil today, as well as coconut oil, some daily olive oil conditioner, and some olive oil cholesterol cream, so I'm excited to start my journey!!! thank you so much, and if you can think of any other tips or suggestions I would appreciate them. YAY ME!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Mzsweetsmile83 5th May 2010, 3:17 pm

Yay!! That's awesome doll! i'm so happy I could help!!
Mzsweetsmile83
Mzsweetsmile83

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 5th May 2010, 3:25 pm

i uploaded my pic, yay me!!!! many thanks again!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Mzsweetsmile83 5th May 2010, 4:57 pm

CUTE!!! Girl leave that wig behind!!
Mzsweetsmile83
Mzsweetsmile83

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 5th May 2010, 4:59 pm

lol thanks! when i went to cvs this man told me he liked my hair. heeyyyyyy go me lol!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 5th May 2010, 7:52 pm

any suggestions for scab hair?
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 5th May 2010, 10:14 pm

and how often should i actually shampoo my hair?
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by smelly 4th June 2010, 12:31 am

Hey My name is Mel... I just decided to fo natural about 4 Months ago. Do I have to go through chopping off all of my hair? Like can I just gradually cut off my relaxed hair??? Also do you have any good tips on what products I shoudl start using??
smelly
smelly

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyDO21 14th June 2010, 1:29 am

I have all the same questions as smelly.....I'm not sure if I should BC or not! I'm only 14, so I have a lot of time to grow my hair out, but I'd like to have a pretty decent sized afro by the time I'm sixteen..... Any tips or weekly routines that worked for you? And have you ever used henna on your hair???

P.S. I'm a 4a/4b curl, or a Daughter O and i decided to go natural on JUNE 1st of 2010- i'm SO new.
KinkyDO21
KinkyDO21

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 15th June 2010, 8:02 pm

Hello ladies;

I don't have enough experience to be a big sis, but I can list the pitfalls I've encountered since my original BC in Jan'09.

I went natural because I was tired of 'bad hair days'. Let me tell you, my WORST bad hair day as a natural was NOTHING compared to my dull, overprocessed, scraggly ends, relaxed hair days.

I purchased Chicoro's "Grow It" book, and borrowed Lorraine Massey's "Curly Girl" book from the public library. They were very informative hair manuals. How you wash, condition, and detangle your hair will make or break your hair! Reading the book and nodding um-hum, um-hum is one thing, but putting the techniques into practice is a whole 'nother thing. If you EVER want your hair to stop breaking - handle it like a cashmere sweater...

PJ'ism is a helluva drug. There IS NO MAGIC PRODUCT. I know that my hair gets hard with mineral oil products and some 'cones. Once you stop using products containing mineral oil and 'cones on your relaxed hair, it may probably start acting up and revealing hidden damage and past abuse. 'Cones are like a band-aid. It took me some time to learn that my natural hair prefers moisturizing instead of protein conditioners, and that an 'occasional' protein treatment improves its tensile strength. Research and identify your hair's texture and porosity before you start putting new products on it. Not everything is for everybody. Folks quickly end up with a closet full of expensive junk looking for that 'holy grail' product.

Start using protective styles. KinkyDO21 and Smelly, you don't have to BC your hair!! If you don't want to BC your hair (trust me, the BC takes a minute to get used to) please commit to nurturing your relaxed hair especially at the demarcation line, and look for videos demonstrating lovely protective styles. Remember, there is NO MAGIC PRODUCT, the magic happens when you lovingly handle and nourish your hair. As your hair grows out, the relaxed portion will appear weak and fragile by comparison. You'll have a choice at this point, either condition and continue to gently handle this damaged hair, or gradually trim it off.

I have chopped twice since my original BC in '09. My first was due to midstrand splits from tugging and combing while dry. My second chop was after a 'texturizer' which turned out a frizzled mess. I was impatient with my hair and wanted what was on other people's heads, and messed up my own lovely growth. Learn to detangle gently, not hurry, and keep your natural hair moisturized. Embrace the healthy growing hair the Creator gifted to you! I have tightly coiled, penspring hair, and if it grew down to the floor it would still shrink back up to my ears too! I'm happy that it's no longer snappin' off, no split ends or mid-strand splits, and fewer single strand knots! Yippee! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am a 4b, TWA, who sometimes does the wash-and-go, and right now I'm liking Kinky Curly Curling Custard (if I have time) with Knot Today, or IC Fantasia w/Sparkle lites (if I'm in a hurry) for my daily stylers. I avoid shampoos with sulfates, right now I'm using Kinky Curly Come Clean every 7-10 days. I use Knot Today or Trader Joe's Nourish spa for my co-washes every 3 days between shampoos. I use henna and indigo for my hair color and protein conditioning every 5-6 weeks. I use these products because they work for my TWA right now.

Keep your hands out of your hair since 'hand-in-fro-disease' is hard to cure; style and detangle with minimal manipulation (Denman brushes ain't for everybody), deep condition (DT) regularly, and KEEP THE HEAT (curlers, flat irons, etc) off your new growth. Dry your hair with a white tee-shirt to reduce tangling and knots. Use Nikki's TWIST'n Curl method or banding w/dry twists to style your hair on days you don't want to rock braids or extensions.

Hope this helps,
Be blessed Ladies
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by happyNcurly 17th July 2010, 12:58 am

What specific products should I use on my hair....I've been natural almost a year now, n now just deciding to wear it out...HELP!lol

happyNcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 18th July 2010, 10:37 pm

Hi HappyNCurly,

I don't have enough information on your hair type and current issues/conditions, so I can't give you specific information.

I'm 4b - kinky coily for life! I co-wash with moisturizing (low protein) conditioners. My hair likes water. When I shampoo, I use Kinky Curly Come Clean, and when I henna, I shampoo with Butters-N-Bars Herbal Black Soap shampoo. You don't have to use these products, this is what's in my rotation now.

I don't know how long your hair is. I personally DON'T do wash and go's because my hair knots up really badly, but I have done wet and dry twist outs and pulled back in a puff.

When I want length, I apply a small amount of leave in conditioner (Garnier S&S, etc) and apply small bands to air dry my hair. I also do this method before putting IC Fantasia gel on.

I sound like a broken record when I advise people to handle their hair gently when detangling, shampooing and styling. I jacked my hair up badly last year from dry combing and tugging. Even using Qhemet products wasn't enough to protect my hair from my ignorance.

I would suggest you look at the Fierce Fridays for style inspiration, check out others Fotkis and scan the topics bar on Nikki's home page.

As for product recommendations - I can only tell you what I've tried.

1. Kinky Curly - works for me. Steep learning curve on how to apply it properly and kind of expensive.

2. IC Fantasia - works for me. Dries quickly but can leave my hair dry.

3. Miss Jessies Stretch Silkening - hated it. Hard dry hair with little beads

4. Hair Rules - hated it. Too light and dry to clump my coils

5. DevaCurl - hated it. My hair just laughed at it.

If you're going to wear it out, make sure you layer a moisturizing leave in under your sealing oil/butter.

My hair likes castor oil, but it's kind of heavy. Haven't tried pure shea or shea blends yet, but others swear by it.

Try to ask a more specific question...
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum