CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If You're Contemplating Henna

+3
R2D2
Pinkpearls
luvinlife225
7 posters

Go down

If You're Contemplating Henna Empty If You're Contemplating Henna

Post by luvinlife225 3rd May 2010, 7:34 pm

Ladies,

I used henna for the 1st time Saturday and my hair loves me for it! I contemplated this for a few months. I was afraid of the dryness, apprehensive of what kind of henna to use and what to mix it with and a host of other concerns.. This forum has been awesome. Because of R2D2 I knew that coconut milk would be all I need to mix the henna, and that I could leave it on for 2-3 hrs and it would be okay. (thanks girl!).. Because of Nylakoils (Hope I got it right) I knew that I didn't have to order online I could go to a local Indian market and pick some up (Thanks!!).. Someone else suggested saran wrap while the henna is still in your hair, so I did that and put a baggy on it so any mess was minimal. There's a wealth of information right here on this site and especially in this forum, and that made the process much easier. Yes, when I washed the henna out my hair was dry (comparing it to anything it felt super clean). Fortunately I expected the dryness so I used my little spray bottle concoction of water, glycerine, jojoba and castor oil on it. Rubbed some coconut oil in as well as AO HSR, threw a baggy on it and called it a night.. When I woke the next morning my hair was super soft. One day later it's still happy. I'll definitely do this on the regular. Sooo, all of this to say, if you really want to try henna and you're wavering on it.. Just do it!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
luvinlife225
luvinlife225

Back to top Go down

If You're Contemplating Henna Empty Re: If You're Contemplating Henna

Post by Pinkpearls 3rd May 2010, 10:27 pm

I've been contemplating henna also and finally henna'd last Saturday. Yes, this forum is awesome!

Thanks Nyla! The test patch turned out good, so I decided to proceed with the henna. After rinsing the henna out, my hair was extremely dry. I then DC'd with Jessicurl and sat under the steamer, without a cap, for one hour. WOW....my hair was soooo soft! Too tired from the henna, I didn't apply the indigo, and instead wet to bed with the deep conditioner on my hair. I am looking forward to my next henna!
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 4th May 2010, 8:21 pm

Glad it all went well and that we could all help you Smile The great thing about henna is that it's so versatile and you can chop and change things with your mix and your technique so that it suits your hair and your lifestyle better.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by luvinlife225 4th May 2010, 11:24 pm

Pink!
Congrats! I'm glad you did it and like the results!

R2D2!
You definitely have a point, but let me tell you coconut milk fits into my lifestyle just fine.. LOL! I won't be changing the mix anytime soon. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
luvinlife225
luvinlife225

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 5th May 2010, 7:58 pm

Yes ladies, I agree...Henna is awesome! I've been henna'ing since November, and have been once a month since the first time! My hair loves this stuff! I've come to find out as long as you keep your mix simple (or mix with what works for you), and deep condition afterwards (this is a MUST!), your results will be amazing! I look forward to henna'ing every month!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 5th May 2010, 11:00 pm

Thanks Luvinlife!

R2D2, You all are a wealth of info....Thanks for your help!

Natural, I will also try to henna once a month. I didn't order from the henna hut...not enough info. about their henna.
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by beautiful mia 6th May 2010, 3:20 am

What is Henna, and what does it do for your hair?
Sorry for the ignorence, but i'm a newbie.

beautiful mia

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 6th May 2010, 3:06 pm

I just tried it 2 weeks ago and I was shying away from it left and right.. Everything went well until I put the indigo in and had to detangle.. I had a hard time but that won't stop me I will use it again and Cassia..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by toyjewell 6th May 2010, 6:27 pm

Ladies I too have have contemplating henna. I purchased Jamila from a local indian store about 2 weeks ago, mixed with lemon juice, let it sit overnight but nothing happened -- it didn't turn brown?? could I have received a bad batch? where are you all purchasing your henna and what kind?
toyjewell
toyjewell

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 6th May 2010, 8:10 pm

Did you apply it to your hair toyjewell and what happened? I am not clear on whether you meant the mixture didn't turn brown or your hair. Usually if you want to test for dye release you can put a piece of paper towel into the mix so that it touches it and you'll see a red stain form on the paper towel. Or rub a little bit of mix on your skin and a few minutes later it should produce an orangy type stain. Also, henna doesn't usually turn hair brown by itself. You'll either see red if you have some light hairs or nothing at all if you have very black hair.

Also, was lemon juice the only thing that you mixed the Jamila with?
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by toyjewell 7th May 2010, 2:11 pm

R2D2 I didn't apply to my hair because I wasn't sure if it was okay.

Lemon juice was the only thing I mixed with, though I noticed your mixture ingredients and will try this. Thanks!
toyjewell
toyjewell

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 7th May 2010, 5:46 pm

Usually when my mixture is ready to go, I will see the top layer is brown and with red liquid (the dye) interspersed there. But the bottom layer may still look like a bit greeny. I mix it up before applying it.

Did you freeze your mixture? If you mix it and then do not wish to apply it on the day you can freeze it for next time in a zip lock bag.

My only concern about all lemon juice is that possibly it might be too drying for your hair, since henna itself is drying. I don't use lemon juice (just coconut milk, which is mildly acidic) but if you were going to, it may be better to be more conservative and start off with a few tablespoons added to another liquid e.g. water. On the other hand, your hair may be okay, not everyone gets dryness. I'm just more wary of it since our afro hair is so prone to dryiness.

Also you can do a patch test on a few strands of hair if you are not sure about it.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by toyjewell 7th May 2010, 7:16 pm

Thanks for the information R2D2.
toyjewell
toyjewell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content