CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while.

+49
summerbreeze76
mizcreativelyme
jaybella
rayray19
Umph
Treece
curlya
BajanPrincess82
mrsmackey
blondie
PaganWifey
wyldhoney
CocaColaCutie
WhosThatRedHead
priceless
MellowOne
swoodward
TheRYL1
BrownSkinDiva
mstokes2008
TMS
FemmeFox
Pinkrage
iri9109
LaToya28
ktoliver5303
CocoEuro
CrissyQ
poeticlyspkng
jlowman1
DvaAuNaturel
Curly_Aquarius
~JOME~
bholmes87
ChrsLvsBks
Karyn
krazy coils
CurlsGalore
AfrikanLatina
Juices-n-Berries
SheeTacular
BlondeByDesire
KinkyNappyHappy
gigihaitiancurly
sweetdrk1
Intelligentbeauty
Lynnieluve
NubieNatty
LadyMika
53 posters

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 17 Empty Re: Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while.

Post by LadyMika 4th October 2010, 1:29 pm

Okay. Thanks to everyone who responded...and as the title says, it's over. I sat down, did some much needed thinking and yes, I WAS overreacting/flipping out/going batshit crazy over NOTHING. Fine hair gets FRIZZY, and no amount of gel is going to make (all of) it go away. I'm ALWAYS going to be somewhat frizzy, even as my hair gets longer (and it WAS before I chopped it). I have the same spots that DO NOT define at all, no matter WHAT I do to them. That's just the way my hair is, and I need to remember that.

As for the yarn braids, I'm not sure if I'm going to install them after all. I may change my mind by the end of the month, though. To answer KNH's question to whether or not they'll stay with my hair being fine, and the answer is yes. They'll stay. The longest I've had yarn braids in my hair was 3 weeks, with no slippage, but also my hair was LONGER at the time so the braid had more hair to "hang on" to. The last time I wore yarn braids (in June if I remember correctly), they practically FELL OUT (no hair was lost) because my hair was too short to hold on to them. At my current length, I'm less worried about them slipping out and MORE concerned about my edges, especially at the nape. But as I've said, I'm not sure. I'll purchase the yarn at a minimum, and come to a decision by the end of the month. If I don't, I'll resort to what I did the first six months of being natural (back in '09) and just keep my hair twisted for most of the winter. As for clips, I've used them a few times in my first year of being natural (the flat silver ones), but stopped because I didn't like the way they looked on me (they made me look juvenile, like I was 15 all over again No). I haven't used them at all since then for that reason.

I don't know what my problem was/is. Tomorrow is wash day, and I'm going to go back to weekly protein treatments with the ORS Replenishing Conditioner, my shealoe mix, and keep my hair twisted for now. I'm in need of more aloe vera gel, so I'll purchase that this week. For today, I'm not sure if I'll wear my hair out (I did yesterday, but only after ). It's raining, so I may put a headwrap on and call it a day. I really don't know.

I guess that's my update for now. Off to get ready for work.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 17 Empty Re: Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while.

Post by LadyMika 7th October 2010, 4:05 pm

Alright. So I threw myself into a tizzy last week over next to nothing. I'm over it. Frizz will be with me no matter what I do (except for twists--more on that in a moment), and while I'll be able to REDUCE it, I can't get rid of it. Not with hair as fine as mine is. So! Relax, relate, release, and move on. Smile

In light of my self-inflicted plight, I decided to go ahead and so some research. Lo and behold, fine hair needs protein. Knew that. I also know that my hair doesn't care for humectants be it summer, spring or fall. (Kicking myself for forgetting that one. Mad) So of the things I'm doing RIGHT, there's also things I've been doing a little WRONG. Well, not WRONG in the "bad" sense. But WRONG in that "You KNOW better." sense. Neutral So I'm making the necessary changes/conducting the necessary experiments with products.

I purchased a bottle of the Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner, and another bottle of the Giovanni SAS. Why the Organix you ask? Well, of the two, it has the most PROTEIN (egg, milk and silk proteins)--I want to try using this as my DC, as opposed to the Giovanni which has only the soy protein (and is nearly at the bottom of the list). The Giovanni SAS I plan on trying out as a LEAVE-IN, since its protein content is LOWER than the Organix conditioner. Also, while I love the Kinky Curly Knot Today, the price is a bit too high for my budget. I know, $12.99 may not seem like a lot of money--but I DO have a hair budget (about $40 per month to replace/re-stock ONLY what I need) and the $12.99 is too much for ONE product. In light of that, I'll use the 30% I have left and won't be repurchasing. (At least, until the Spring when I've cleared up one of my debts and have a little more leeway in spending.)

As for gel, I've decided to invest in the EcoStyler gel again. I say "again" because it was one of the first gels I used when I first started way back in January of '09. The IC Fantasia gel left my hair stiff and didn't play well with my shea mix at the time. (Though I'm sure it would NOW, especially the blue one for color treated hair.) The EcoStyler gel was the best for its price. It still is. I can't afford KCCC, not even if I stretch it. And I'm not that fond of the Afroveda PUR Whipped Gelly to pay the new prices for it. Especially when--looking at the ingredients--I can make my own hack of it (I'll elaborate).

Yarn braids for the winter is looking more and more UNLIKELY. Mostly because I'm concerned about my edges, which thinned out in the final months before the 2nd chop due to brushing and the PULLING from braiding my hair (even though I didn't/don't braid tight). They've filled back in a great deal since then, and I don't want to repeat what happened. So, I intend to wear twists under my headwraps for AT LEAST four days in a row, each week, until February. While I like the yarn braids and they ARE a cute style, like I said: I'm concerned about my edges, and I realistically don't have 12 hours to lose to that kind of styling.

Mixes! All about the mixes. Right now, I'm low on shea butter and carrier oils. I'm down to my last pound, and I'm out of castor, sweet almond, and jojoba oils. To use up what's left, I made an oil mix for my hair consisting of sweet almond and castor oil, and clary sage, cinnamon, lavender, rosemary, and eucalyptus essential oils. I use this mix to seal my hair after I apply my leave-in or as a "finisher" of sorts if I use my shea butter. For my shea mix, I kept it simple: 1/2 lb shea, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, and the mentioned essential oils. I do intend on making a hack of the Afroveda PUR Whipped Gelly--just not right now. I'm waiting until the late winter, early spring to make it. By then, the weather won't be as harsh and I'll be wearing my hair out more. Based on the ingredients of the PWG, it's simple enough to make. I also WILL NOT be making the shealoe mix until around the same time, for the sake of the weather.

And now, for the life update.

Life is pretty good, save for riding the Crimson Tide/Red Dragon/visit from Aunt Flo (you get the drift by now Laughing) this week and the cravings for JUNK FOOD that comes with it. Cakes, pies and cookies, you name it, I WANT IT. Thankfully I can resist the temptation, but it's HARD. Especially since there's about FOUR bakeries near my house, and one near my job. Neutral I just LOVE pastries! I can't help it! Mad

Scored a brand new amplifier out of necessity; the one I had before (which was already old) finally kicked the bucket in the way of the speaker popping and cracking and saying "Screw this." and finally dropping dead. silent Thankfully, I have a "guitar fund" (more like a jar that says "FOR GUITAR STUFF ONLY") and had the money to get a new one ($150 in the jar at the time.). It ran me $100 (cheap considering how much better amps cost, but EXPENSIVE with my current income), but I definitely got my money's worth in special effects (3 different kinds of distortion BUILT IN), sound, and little add-on features. I can plug in my earphones, mp3, even my laptop with the right cables. Very Happy All for $100. Bargain much!? Cool

And that's about it. Not much else going on right now. I'll try to get around to everyone's CSJ sometime this weekend. I love you
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 7th October 2010, 9:16 pm

heeeey mika! i was just thinkin bout u the other day Cool ummm, can i get some UPDATED pics, although i love comin in here and wherever u pop up lookin at u mean muggin, i havent seen updated pics in a minute!!! a loooong time.

i totally agree with u and ur budget and lucky u to even have a $40 budget per month. i just moved so hair products isnt top priority n i got more than enuff to keep me straight!! the knot today is a tad expensive so im feelin u on that. i'd like to retry it cuz i wasnt impressed when i used it on my twa last winter but i wanna pair it w/the kccc esp since it comes in an 8 oz jar now. but ummm at that price $13 for the knot today n $18 for some gel... No not right now!! i looove the eco gel def much better than the fanny ic which i intially used but i just get much better hold, definition and it just last longer for me. folks complain on the crunch but i dont complain cuz the finished look is what i aim for. sometimes i either add oils or just refresh w/my spritz mixed w/oils!

dont even get me STARTED on afroveda uppin their prices...awww helllz naw!! she wrooooong for that one! no ma'am no girl
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 7th October 2010, 9:21 pm

I am with Nub, new pics please bounce
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 8th October 2010, 8:24 pm

Okay, I have a couple of confessions to make.

First off, I broke down and bought the EIGHTY OUNCE TUB WITH THE HANDLE of the pink EcoStyler gel. silent

Yes, the 80oz tub. WITH THE HANDLE. Shocked

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 17 DSCN0752

(Gypsy had a slightly frizzy day today. When I came home from work, I sprayed my hair with water mixed with essential oils to soften it up a little. I'll be moisturizing in a little while.)

I'm pretty much DONE with testing different gels. The Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz--while I like it--won't be making it onto the List of Staples. I'm already using the aloe gro mix as a semi-leave-in of sorts, and though my hair does take nicely to aloe vera gel, it's simply TOO MUCH and it weighs my hair down. (It also takes a long time to dry...) So, I'll be sticking with EcoStyler from now on.

And because Lynnie kinda/sorta busted me on Facebook ( lol! ) here's a pic of me hanging around the lounge (two weeks ago) at the guitar school I currently go to:

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 17 44189_455146985232_158831510232_5793139_8263145_n

Yes, that is a puff on a gel-free day.

Next week is the last day of class, open-mic night, and....I don't know. Neutral In terms of skill, I can hold my own in a band at this point. I can also take one more class (at a discount) and just use it to figure out what direction I'm going to go in musically.

As for Gypsy, she's doing a little better. Switching to a conditioner with more proteins as a leave-in (Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner) has been working out so far. I'd twist my hair tonight, but I don't have the time to do so (practice, practice PRACTICE). Tomorrow night is another show out in Brooklyn (friend's band is playing). For now, I'll add my shea butter, layer with my oil mix, get to work practicing/playing, and then it's off to bed.

Have a good night everyone. Laughing
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th October 2010, 8:32 pm

LadyMika wrote:And because Lynnie kinda/sorta busted me on Facebook ( lol! ) here's a pic of me hanging around the lounge (two weeks ago) at the guitar school I currently go to:

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 17 44189_455146985232_158831510232_5793139_8263145_n

lol!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 8th October 2010, 8:45 pm

NubieNatty wrote:heeeey mika! i was just thinkin bout u the other day Cool ummm, can i get some UPDATED pics, although i love comin in here and wherever u pop up lookin at u mean muggin, i havent seen updated pics in a minute!!! a loooong time.

i totally agree with u and ur budget and lucky u to even have a $40 budget per month. i just moved so hair products isnt top priority n i got more than enuff to keep me straight!! the knot today is a tad expensive so im feelin u on that. i'd like to retry it cuz i wasnt impressed when i used it on my twa last winter but i wanna pair it w/the kccc esp since it comes in an 8 oz jar now. but ummm at that price $13 for the knot today n $18 for some gel... No not right now!! i looove the eco gel def much better than the fanny ic which i intially used but i just get much better hold, definition and it just last longer for me. folks complain on the crunch but i dont complain cuz the finished look is what i aim for. sometimes i either add oils or just refresh w/my spritz mixed w/oils!

dont even get me STARTED on afroveda uppin their prices...awww helllz naw!! she wrooooong for that one! no ma'am no girl

I don't mean to mug...I just don't smile much in pictures. Neutral I haven't taken any close ups since my borderline mental breakdown, and before that was a length check (which I haven't done in a while). I've cut out my co-washes entirely since it's getting cold out, and I'm going to be keeping my hair twisted most of the time until the late winter/early spring. I'll try to do a length check next week.

Girl, that $40 escapes me at times, I won't even lie. I'm glad I'm cleaning up my debt, but it's a MOFO. I'm so strapped for cash some days, I have to ask Boyfriend/Husband for money so I won't starve while I'm at work. No I'm definitely not big on the KCCC--it just weighs my hair down too much. My hair is on the thin side, so I need volume. I can get that with the EcoStyler gel. The crunch I can combat with my oil mix--my hair still gets a little stiff, but definitely NOT crunchy. AND it does last longer. And since I don't like to constantly replace products, that's a plus in my book. Cool

The PUR Whipped Gelly was the only thing I bought from them, and I wasn't crazy about it. It set my hair, sure. But as far as definition? Whomp whomp. Could've been better. I don't intend to make anymore hair-related online purchases. Whether or not the product is good, I can't afford it anyway. No
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 8th October 2010, 9:34 pm

umm affraid @ that big azz jar of eco! now i know when i run out to have u send me some in a jar! got DMN!!! that is DEFINITELY ur staple gel but i cant fake...i love it. im gonna use some this wknd to try n perfect my wng now to take advantage of the weather while its still warm.

im so glad u changed ur avi but im also soooo upset becuz i had to literally Shocked at the pic thinkin...that is NOT mika scratch u look sooo different wit a smile, lol. i love it. i still cant stop staring cuz the only image i have of u is Mad
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th October 2010, 9:45 pm

NubieNatty wrote:umm affraid @ that big azz jar of eco! now i know when i run out to have u send me some in a jar! got DMN!!! that is DEFINITELY ur staple gel but i cant fake...i love it. im gonna use some this wknd to try n perfect my wng now to take advantage of the weather while its still warm.

im so glad u changed ur avi but im also soooo upset becuz i had to literally Shocked at the pic thinkin...that is NOT mika scratch u look sooo different wit a smile, lol. i love it. i still cant stop staring cuz the only image i have of u is Mad

LOL!!! I thought the same thing when I saw the pic on FB but I saw the "signature jacket" on the end of the couch and said, "Hey that is Mika!!"
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 8th October 2010, 9:53 pm

NubieNatty wrote:umm affraid @ that big azz jar of eco! now i know when i run out to have u send me some in a jar! got DMN!!! that is DEFINITELY ur staple gel but i cant fake...i love it. im gonna use some this wknd to try n perfect my wng now to take advantage of the weather while its still warm.

LMAO! Yeah, that jar will last me AT LEAST a year. Especially since I'm not heavy handed with products (anymore). My boyfriend hasn't seen it yet, but if he gets a glimpse of it? "Oi, wut the FACK do yoo need all dat gel FOR!? Suspect Yu only got ONE HEAD on yur shoulders, not FIFFTEEEN!!" At least, that's what I EXPECT him to say. lol!

Thank you Nubie. I love you Still trying to adjust to this smiling in pictures thing. I usually have to be caught off guard, mid CACKLE at a joke or someone's tomfoolery. Laughing
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 8th October 2010, 9:59 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:

LOL!!! I thought the same thing when I saw the pic on FB but I saw the "signature jacket" on the end of the couch and said, "Hey that is Mika!!"

LMAO!! You all know me so well! lol!
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 8th October 2010, 10:00 pm

That jar is HUGE!!!!

Headwraps? Tell me more?
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 8th October 2010, 10:35 pm

PaganWifey wrote:That jar is HUGE!!!!

Headwraps? Tell me more?

Yep, won't need to buy gel anymore. Which is good.

I wear my headwraps with a bun at the back. I take a long shawl, fold it in half (length wise) and wrap it around my head. Like so:

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 17 58378_1617620365331_1381048303_31705469_7507143_n

I twist my hair and wear this over it for a cute protective style that goes with anything. Including MISFITS t-shirts and military long sleeve shirts. Laughing It'll also be something you can wear over your locs when you don't want to wear them out. My childhood friend has locs, and when hers were still "young", she wore headwraps on days she felt they were too fuzzy for her liking.
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 8th October 2010, 10:51 pm

I just moved (it was the most drawn out f**ked up move on the planet) and I can't find any of my clips so I haven't done any maintenance in a while. My locs look like I don't care and that's not the case. Sad

I think I'm going to just get some scarves from Wally World. The thin fabric ones. Those should work right?
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 8th October 2010, 10:55 pm

I don't see why not. Also, there's a vid by a girl named "chescalocs" on YouTube--she shows how she retightens her locs WITHOUT clips. Could be worth checking out.
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 10th October 2010, 1:19 am

Hey LadyM...

You have such a beautiful smile...thanks for sharing that picture!!

So you even wear a puff..hmmmm seams like you've been holding out with the different looks and no pictures...LOL

Looking good my friend.

Just wanted to stop by and say hi!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by wyldhoney 10th October 2010, 11:59 am

Hey Mika, how are you?

You hair is so cute and curly, and the growth is pretty stunning!

I have to be the voice of opposition and say that I actually prefer your UN-smiling photos. I like that stern mouth and you look so cool and rocking. Love your style.

I'm glad to know you've gotten over the mini-meltdown. I know how that can feel, I'm currently going through a phase of extreme exasperation. I've been in the UK for a week and have no idea how to cope with this cooler weather. My hair has little white specks in it from the dried up gel and all I can do is put it in a bun and hope that nobody notices.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that your hair looks curly and awesome, frizz or no frizz. The pics look great, and I hope to see some more soon, with or without a smile!
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 12th October 2010, 10:55 pm

[color=indigo]She's smiling, she's smiling Laughing

I really enjoy your writing what your BF will say or has said. It puts a smile on my face every time.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 13th October 2010, 10:49 am

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hey LadyM...

You have such a beautiful smile...thanks for sharing that picture!!

So you even wear a puff..hmmmm seams like you've been holding out with the different looks and no pictures...LOL

Looking good my friend.

Just wanted to stop by and say hi!!

I'm not hiding...just INVISIBLE. lol! Thanks for stopping by! Smile

wyldhoney wrote:Hey Mika, how are you?

You hair is so cute and curly, and the growth is pretty stunning!

I have to be the voice of opposition and say that I actually prefer your UN-smiling photos. I like that stern mouth and you look so cool and rocking. Love your style.

I'm glad to know you've gotten over the mini-meltdown. I know how that can feel, I'm currently going through a phase of extreme exasperation. I've been in the UK for a week and have no idea how to cope with this cooler weather. My hair has little white specks in it from the dried up gel and all I can do is put it in a bun and hope that nobody notices.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that your hair looks curly and awesome, frizz or no frizz. The pics look great, and I hope to see some more soon, with or without a smile!

See, someone actually DOES like my not smiling pics! Laughing Aww, thank you Wyldhoney! I love you

ChrsLvsBks wrote:[color=indigo]She's smiling, she's smiling Laughing

I really enjoy your writing what your BF will say or has said. It puts a smile on my face every time.

My boyfriend is like a wind up toy. Turn the crank, WATCH HIM GO! lol!
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 13th October 2010, 11:34 am

Hey Mika! I just got caught up with you and from the looks of your latest pics, there is no frizz. ANYWHERE! You have beautiful curls so I'm thinking you're being your worst critic right now. We all are that way. I'm glad to hear things are getting better on the home front for you.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 13th October 2010, 1:25 pm

lmaooooo@ lynnie callin u out on the "signature jacket" lol!

i cant WAIT to see u all doll'd up in a dress or something!! bounce

P.S. i totally could hear ur bf's voice in my head, lol.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th October 2010, 1:18 pm

LOVING THE NEW AVATAR!!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 14th October 2010, 1:52 pm

CurlsGalore wrote:Hey Mika! I just got caught up with you and from the looks of your latest pics, there is no frizz. ANYWHERE! You have beautiful curls so I'm thinking you're being your worst critic right now. We all are that way. I'm glad to hear things are getting better on the home front for you.

Thanks CG. I won't lie, I DO have my worst-critic moments. Thankfully and in comparison to three years ago, these moments are almost non-existent. Thanks are pretty sweet right now! Definitely looking up. Smile Thanks for stopping by!

NubieNatty wrote:lmaooooo@ lynnie callin u out on the "signature jacket" lol!

i cant WAIT to see u all doll'd up in a dress or something!! bounce

P.S. i totally could hear ur bf's voice in my head, lol.

Yeah, I wear that USAF battle dress shirt everywhere. It makes a GREAT light jacket in the fall and spring! Laughing (I wear the pants and combat boots to punk/hardcore shows with a t-shirt. Cuz I get DOWN.)

A dress, huh? Might not be too long off. Been invited to a lot of Halloween parties...just might make the rounds. Haven't decided if I'll go to any of these yet, but it's likely. Give me another week to decide! LMAO!

If you think it's funny in your head, you should hear it in person. Especially when he gets all pissy about something. It takes A LOT of effort NOT to laugh in his face. lol!

Lynnieluve wrote:LOVING THE NEW AVATAR!!!!

Thanks Lynnie. I knew you would! Laughing
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 14th October 2010, 2:28 pm

girl this avi is FIERCE i love it!! I wanted to stop by and show you some love hon Smile Hope all is well!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 16th October 2010, 1:51 pm

I saw that new avi and came running! You better work lady! I love the smile too! That puff looks fab! You been holding out! I want more hair pics please....let me find out I have come across the GWB to see you!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next