CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help a newbee, please!

5 posters

Go down

Help a newbee, please! Empty Help a newbee, please!

Post by CurlyCoCo 22nd April 2010, 12:31 am

Hi everyone!
I am new to this site and I am new to wearing my hair natural. I am so glad I found this site!

I have been reading things for a few days now and I have a few questions. I am bi-racial and my hair is very strange. It is thin and the roots of my hair are straight and not dry, however the rest of my hair is sorta dry. This has always made it hard to use oils because it weighs my fro down and I like it poofy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I have been hearing lots about co-washing and I have tried it in between washings. Still I have to wash my hair at least 3 times a week or it gets gunky. I have been using Giovanni 50/50 shampoo and conditioner and am quite pleased with it. But I have to admit that I have been using John Frieda gel, serum, and leave in conditioner spray. From what I see on this site that is a No-no. Does anybody out there have any ideas as to what I should be using to define and moisturize my curls without it getting too scrunchy or without getting that wet look?

Thanks so much and I am so thrilled to be part of this group
CurlyCoCo
CurlyCoCo

Back to top Go down

Help a newbee, please! Empty Re: Help a newbee, please!

Post by ktoliver5303 22nd April 2010, 1:53 am

Well... I have no clue how to answer your question.. I can say I also have used the Giovanni 50/50 protein condish and it makes Diva (my hair) feel lov-a-ly!! But I am sure someone here will have an answer. BUT!! I can say congrats on your natural journey and WELCOME ABOARD! This is a very fun and informative site and you will enjoy it.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 22nd April 2010, 11:07 am

I am sure someone on here has the same hair type and can help you! Welcome! I know the other curlfriends will chime in. Also check out that section "Curlfriends" you may find your answers here. HTH!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 22nd April 2010, 11:20 am

I'm not really sure, because everyone's hair reacts differently to products. It's one of those things that comes with trial and error. For example- a lot of curlies rave about the Giovanni line, well I tried the 50:50 conditioner and my hair absolutely HATED it!! But KT over here loves it lol. I'm sure to many products with not so swell ingredients probably aid to the gunky feeling, but I can't be positive. I agree with Sweet- the curlfriends section will probably be your best bet. HTH Good luck!
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 22nd April 2010, 11:27 am

Welcome and congrats to making the decision to go natural. This journey is about trial and error and I know the ladies will agree that no two heads of hair are alike. Perhaps you can try clarifying your strands more often with a baking soda rinse or a clarifying shampoo/conditioner. Have you ever heard of Curls or Mixed Chicks? These were lines that I initially used when transitioning. I love Mixed Chicks' leave-in conditioner and I currently use Curls' Curl Souffle for added moisture.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyCoCo 22nd April 2010, 1:18 pm

Thank you sooo much, all of you! I also want to ask, why are silicones bad for is cur-lees? Also, I was thinking about trying hair pudding, but am not sure if I should. It seems like it can weigh hair down. Thanks for the suggestions. I love how there is so much support and encouragement flowing from this place. I have been flirting with going natural for a long time, but it wasn't until coming here that I found the courage.
CurlyCoCo
CurlyCoCo

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 22nd April 2010, 3:46 pm

For future reference if you have any concerns about ingredients or the chemical makeup of a product you can direct those inquiries to Dajewel, she's our resident chemist.

I believe silicones are bad for our hair because these ingredients act as a coating on the hair shaft, inhibiting moisture to be absorbed. Think of them like a raincoat and how the coat's material repels and protects out clothes from getting wet although our skin needs moisture. I hope that analogy helps.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 22nd April 2010, 5:34 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:For future reference if you have any concerns about ingredients or the chemical makeup of a product you can direct those inquiries to Dajewel, she's our resident chemist.

I believe silicones are bad for our hair because these ingredients act as a coating on the hair shaft, inhibiting moisture to be absorbed. Think of them like a raincoat and how the coat's material repels and protects out clothes from getting wet although our skin needs moisture. I hope that analogy helps.
Great Analogy!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyCoCo 22nd April 2010, 9:18 pm

It really was a great analogy! In fact, it was so good that I think I am gonna have to to and get some KCCC as soon as possible!
CurlyCoCo
CurlyCoCo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down