CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need a good Sulfate free shampoo!!

+10
Karyn
MellowOne
LaToya28
CurlsGalore
Nessa101
Lynnieluve
DvaAuNaturel
jcanalena79
blondie
mstokes2008
14 posters

Go down

I need a good Sulfate free shampoo!! Empty I need a good Sulfate free shampoo!!

Post by mstokes2008 16th April 2010, 11:20 pm

Hey Curly ladies! For those of you who shampoo can you suggest some really good sulfate free shampoos that I could get in like Target/Walmart/Walgreens? I'm feeling the need to shampoo but I do want it to be sulfate free.

Thanks in advance!! afro
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

I need a good Sulfate free shampoo!! Empty Re: I need a good Sulfate free shampoo!!

Post by blondie 16th April 2010, 11:26 pm

I know of some great ones, but they're all on line...sorry! Sad
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

I need a good Sulfate free shampoo!! Empty Re: I need a good Sulfate free shampoo!!

Post by jcanalena79 16th April 2010, 11:31 pm

Dr. Bronners Castille soap ... they have 2 size liquid soaps and a bar soap --- all now sold in Target Smile
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 16th April 2010, 11:37 pm

Not sure if you are doing a strict curly girl method or not but Target does have Yes to Carrots. If you are a strict CG you can use the Yes to Cucumbers. What about Giovanni, Dr. Bronners, or Burt's Bees? Others on here have talked about using Dr. Bronners with success. I know Giovanni is at Wal-Mart too.

You should check out this site. It may help some more choices. http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/index.html

Good luck!
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 16th April 2010, 11:40 pm

@blondie-what are some of your favorite online ones?

@jc-thanks!!! I'm going to look into those now

@Dva-I don't consider myself "strictly" CG because I do use a few favorite conditioners with cones. But I didn't like one of the Giovanni conditioners at all but I think I saw sample/travel size shampoos, I may try those. And thanks for the site!!
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 16th April 2010, 11:42 pm

If you ever decided to purchase one online, I love KBB conditioning shampoo. It doesnt leave your hair with the stripped feeling.

I have the a couple of the Giovanni shampoos and can you say STRIPPED!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My hair doesnt feel that stripped with my sulfate shampoo.

Organix shampoo are sulfate free
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 16th April 2010, 11:46 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I have the a couple of the Giovanni shampoos and can you say STRIPPED!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My hair doesnt feel that stripped with my sulfate shampoo.

Why would the Giovanni sulfate free be so stripping to the hair? Wonder what's in it to cause that. I haven't used them but figured since their condish is good the shampoo would be okay too. Wow! That is interesting.

@msstokes-I know you said drugstore but Oyin poo bar is really good and SLS/ALS free.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 17th April 2010, 12:09 am

Thanks ladies for all the advice!
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 17th April 2010, 12:11 am

I know garnier has sulfate free shampoos, but i've never used them.
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 17th April 2010, 6:54 pm

Try any Giovanni or Desert Essence brand shampoos. No cones, sulfates, parabens, etc.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 17th April 2010, 7:13 pm

DvaAuNaturel wrote:
Lynnieluve wrote:I have the a couple of the Giovanni shampoos and can you say STRIPPED!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My hair doesnt feel that stripped with my sulfate shampoo.

Why would the Giovanni sulfate free be so stripping to the hair? Wonder what's in it to cause that. I haven't used them but figured since their condish is good the shampoo would be okay too. Wow! That is interesting.

@msstokes-I know you said drugstore but Oyin poo bar is really good and SLS/ALS free.

I don't know what it is about Giovanni shampoos that make them so stripping, but I had the same experience. That's why I don't really put much stock into the "sulfates are bad" theory.

Msstokes, Organix shampoos got pretty good ratings on Walgreen's website: http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=organix

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 19th April 2010, 1:04 am

I was wondering the same thing with the Giovanni shampoo. I mix a little conditoner in with it and that helps with the stripping feeling. Somebody said that I may have been using too much so I used less without the conditioner and that seemed to help but I didn't feel like my hair was clean lol. So I started back using it with the conditioner. I am going to use the rest of it up but will not be buying it again, maybe I will try organix. Anyhoo keep me posted on if you find one you like so I can add it to my list [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 19th April 2010, 1:44 am

Well I got some of the Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap because Target had a sample size Smile
Idk if I'm loving it on my hair or not but it got the job done. I was surely hoping for some sort of "tingle" lol. On the plus side, I spilt some coffee on my carpet a little bit ago and used the soap to clean it and it got it out woot! So I feel like my money was well spent lol
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 19th April 2010, 1:53 am

Organix ftw. They don't strip my hair and smell SO fantastic.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by DeltaAce2006 19th April 2010, 3:11 am

I use L'Oreal Everpure shampoo and i love it!!!!!
DeltaAce2006
DeltaAce2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Poundcake921 19th April 2010, 1:31 pm

@deltaace2006 - omg I was just about to suggest that shampoo..do you really like it? I am waiting for my Aubrey Organics to run out bf i buy it....has anyone else tried the Everpure shampoo?
Poundcake921
Poundcake921

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 19th April 2010, 2:01 pm

MsStokes, I would add a few drops of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap to a regular shampoo or conditioner for co-washing. I personally find that it can make the hair dry when used alone. Maybe in my case, it is the peppermint oil that causes the dryness. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 19th April 2010, 11:28 pm

envizionj wrote:MsStokes, I would add a few drops of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap to a regular shampoo or conditioner for co-washing. I personally find that it can make the hair dry when used alone. Maybe in my case, it is the peppermint oil that causes the dryness. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is a great tip. I'm starting to rethink the CG method. My hair is itchinig like crazy, so I might try this to give me a little extra clean/tingle with my co-washes.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 20th April 2010, 12:06 am

DvaAuNaturel wrote:
envizionj wrote:MsStokes, I would add a few drops of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap to a regular shampoo or conditioner for co-washing. I personally find that it can make the hair dry when used alone. Maybe in my case, it is the peppermint oil that causes the dryness. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

that does sound like a good idea. Thanks! I'm actually not a big fan of peppermint oil, I've never really liked the peppermint smell to much lol

This is a great tip. I'm starting to rethink the CG method. My hair is itchinig like crazy, so I might try this to give me a little extra clean/tingle with my co-washes.

That's the same I was thinking. Shampoo never really did me much harm, but I will be more observant of the ingredients in the products I'll be using from now on.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bevyboo628 20th April 2010, 1:00 am

Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat I love it because I feel it all tingly in my scalp totally refreshed after using it and I don't have to use a lot
bevyboo628
bevyboo628

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down