CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So. . . about that BC. . .

+6
NaturallyPrecious
jamaicanmecurly
Deva_87
mstokes2008
neethair
Muz
10 posters

Go down

So. . . about that BC. . . Empty So. . . about that BC. . .

Post by Muz 30th March 2010, 6:50 pm

Yeah, so I've been hyping myself up about BCing in May after a year relaxer free and how I might like a TWA. Well today I cut a little piece right up front at the edge. Suffice it to say I wasn't satisfied with the length. I've pretty much come to grips with the fact that the middle of my head grows waaaaaaaaaaay faster than the edges. And oh the shrinkage! I'm too used to having hair to play with. I still have about two months til my year anniversary, who knows maybe it'll grow the two inches I'll need to seriously consider the BC.

Then again, at the same time, I did cut a VERY small piece when I twisted it up with some hair that I didn't cut I love the fat part of the twist, and I'm not that crazy about the thin permed part. . . I can at least take comfort in the fact that my hair will be as thick as I expect. Laughing

Maybe I should try cutting a piece in the middle to see how long it is? ~sigh~
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

So. . . about that BC. . . Empty Re: So. . . about that BC. . .

Post by neethair 30th March 2010, 8:00 pm

Muz-

I understand we are in the same boat. My hair is growing at different rates as well. My back is completely natural the crowd is growing nicely but the sides not so much. You have to do what's best for you and what you are the most comfortable with. Like you said you have a couple months before your (OUR since we got our last relaxer the same time) anniversary [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. Just keep doing what you are doing and see how you feel in May. Either way I know you will look GREAT.....
neethair
neethair

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 30th March 2010, 8:27 pm

I was feeling the same way, before I BC'd but it seemed like every time I cowashed I cut more and more that I was almost left with no other choice. I was trying to wait until my birthday in May but I cut it after only 2.5months of transitioning. Those little relaxed ends made a difference, but I feel you on being use to having hair to play with, but surprisingly I play with my hair way more now than when I was relaxed. Do whatever is best for you. I'm sure you'll know when it's time to cut your hair and you'll be ecstatic that you did!!

But you should cut a piece in the middle, it may make you feel better.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 30th March 2010, 8:40 pm

neethair wrote:Muz-

I understand we are in the same boat. My hair is growing at different rates as well. My back is completely natural the crowd is growing nicely but the sides not so much. You have to do what's best for you and what you are the most comfortable with. Like you said you have a couple months before your (OUR since we got our last relaxer the same time) anniversary [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. Just keep doing what you are doing and see how you feel in May. Either way I know you will look GREAT.....

Girl, I thought I was doing good. LOL, I'll post a pic of the piece I cut after I finish washing it (I'm DCing now, probably for another hour). I'm watching some BC videos of people who chopped after a year on YouTube now, it's making me feel better, like I may be ready to chop in May. I think what's freaking me out the most is the shrinkage, but as long as I stretch it before twisting I'll probably be fine.

Mstokes, I will probably be fine in a little bit, I think I just didn't realize how much those permed ends were weighing my hair down even with the little piece I cut in the back. I do think this pretty much cements that I'm not having a professional do my cut, I don't care if it has to be a little uneven for a while, I don't want to sacrifice TOO much length when I do cut it.
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by Deva_87 30th March 2010, 11:02 pm

I feel like whether i chop in june or at my year mark in september,my hair is still going to grow. I think it will take some getting used to no matter what for me. so im ok with waiting to june.
Deva_87
Deva_87

http://members.fotki.com/Deva87/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicanmecurly 31st March 2010, 12:05 pm

You can't BC until you're ready. I have no regrets about BC'ing after only 4 months of transitioning even though I had planned to transition for a year... I have no patience.

And the shrinkage really ain't no joke. Part of what got me ok with BC'ing is that my hair seemed longer than it really was b/c those frail, weak relaxed ends were weighing my curls down. But you know what, I somehow like having a TWA... I feel like it makes my eyes and face pop and also forces me to do my makeup and wear cute accessories! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] But I also can't wait for it to grow out. I envy the ladies who are/were long term transitioners.
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyPrecious 31st March 2010, 5:11 pm

My 1 year transitioning period also ends in two months. It seems to me too that my hair hasn't progressed as much as I'd have liked. But when I compare lengths from the back of my head (which is longer) to the front (which to me seems more like 6 months growth), I'm like what the heck is up? When I shared this with my Mom, she believes it's because the front gets the most attention whereas the back is left to do its thing...but!!! the crown (which I cut a 'sample' piece, lol) is also as short as the front. It's as if certain patches of hair thrive while others are below the curve??? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I won't panic until the big chop. If things seem too piecey I'll just braid up until the uneveness doesn't show.....
NaturallyPrecious
NaturallyPrecious

Back to top Go down

Post by samwri07 1st April 2010, 5:11 am

So I have been transitioning for 2 years and never even considered a BC....i seriously couldn't do it.....not only is my head weirdly shaped but i have a huge pie face and i dont think it would work out too well for me. but i got a hair cut about twice a month until majority of my relaxed hairs were gone, but the only way i would wear my hair was straightened. now i feel like i have 4 different textures going on in my head [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].

I am now considering a chop....not to a twa but so that it will be all even around my head (because i always kept my hair in a bob). I no longer want to straighten my hair and the back of my hair has major shrinkage after washing but the front and top of my hair doesn't srink AT ALL!!! so i look like i have a reverse shag....which isn't cute lol. so wish me luck if i decided to do this BC....
samwri07
samwri07

Back to top Go down

Post by Free&Curly 5th April 2010, 5:25 pm

jamaicanmecurly wrote:You can't BC until you're ready. I have no regrets about BC'ing after only 4 months of transitioning even though I had planned to transition for a year... I have no patience.

And the shrinkage really ain't no joke. Part of what got me ok with BC'ing is that my hair seemed longer than it really was b/c those frail, weak relaxed ends were weighing my curls down. But you know what, I somehow like having a TWA... I feel like it makes my eyes and face pop and also forces me to do my makeup and wear cute accessories! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] But I also can't wait for it to grow out. I envy the ladies who are/were long term transitioners.

I definitely agree - you have to be ready to BC. I think if your hair is longer and healthy, it is worth it to be a long transitioner - espeically if you are not sure about a TWA. It a major adjustment. It took me 6 months of transition to finally accept the fact that my hair could possibly grow faster without 2 textures...Plus I am extremely impatient. Ive been talking/planning/researching going natural since the fall of 2008. I needed immediate gratification. AND I had a short haircut (halle berry-esque - I'll post pics of my transistion tonight) and figured it was now or never. So now I am rocking my mini TWA with pride - well after a few tears [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Summer 2009 - still getting perms

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

November 2009 - with extensions to transition

March 26 - The "Great" BC

Last edited by Free&Curly on 7th April 2010, 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Free&Curly

Back to top Go down

Post by Deva_87 5th April 2010, 7:57 pm

I thought I would cry about the BC too. but it really wasnt that bad. but i also have a its just hair attitude. and you will get to a length you are comfortable with eventually.
Deva_87
Deva_87

http://members.fotki.com/Deva87/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 6th April 2010, 11:23 am

neethair wrote:Muz-

My hair is growing similar and I think Im gonna tough it out to at least a year if not longer. I am worried about the shrinkage and want a nice amount of length to my hair before I chop it off... I am 8 months and still have a ways to go but u never know what the future holds. Right now I am rocking some twists until the weather breaks then who knows what can happen after these bad boys come out...LOL..
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 6th April 2010, 11:29 am

Take as much time as you need to embrace the idea of BCing. You may already know that I was a long-term transitioner and I shocked myself with the ubrupt decision to BC before the date I had planned to. I was so excited and I already knew where my hair would fall when I measured the demarcation line. I'm comfortable with the length I currently have and can't wait to see what my hair will look like a year from now.

The best thing about it was that I was ready and have no regrets. My curls thanked me once those dreadful permed ends were removed by springing back with an incredible bounce. Now I know I did something right.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 12th April 2010, 11:38 pm

Hampton, your hair came out beautifully! I'm pretty sure I won't be able to last as long as you did.

In fact, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to go on and BC on my year anniversary (or maybe the day after) the back only has a couple of inches to go, I'm going to have to cut the most off of the front/middle. I think that's because I keep touching the front/middle (I need therapy for HIH syndrome ~lol~). But I don't see much of a point in putting it off, and I really wanna see what my natural hair looks like without the permed ends (and the permed ends are getting on my nerves.

I just dusted the ends last week (trimmed while they were in large twists), and I've extended that Castor Oil Challenge (partly because I wasn't that diligent in my first term, and partly because I want to make my hair grow as much as I can in this next month).

Maybe I'll put a countdown to my BC in my sig or something. Maybe. . .
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum