CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free2Be...For the Record

+7
bholmes87
sweetdrk1
BlondeByDesire
CocaColaCutie
SheeTacular
tiashaunteé
Free2Be
11 posters

Go down

Free2Be...For the Record Empty Free2Be...For the Record

Post by Free2Be 16th March 2010, 12:53 am

Hi all. I'm Lori/Free2Be. I've been wanting to record my hair journey, but I've been hesitant to start a blog...who would read it? Anyway, in the spirit of community, I want to at least post some more about myself and photos of my hair through the years...to give you some idea of how I arrived at this point and also to have a record for myself of my progress.

Growing up I had what other people would call "good hair". I know now how ignorant that is. My mom hardly ever washed my hair, citing my panicky behavior when she would try to wash it. She primarily used regular body lotion to slick it down into two braids, mostly. I think I only wore my hair out twice ever and both times I was a junior bridesmaid in someone's wedding. The resulting mess looked like a bird's nest.

I always had long hair, but I didn't think anything about it because my mom couldn't do anything fancy or unique to it. Other friends had "puffs" and cornrows, but my mom was doing good to have a simple braid.

I had a huge hair trauma in the 8th grade. I washed my hair after school one day and without putting anything on it or tying it down or anything, I put on my mom's bonnet dryer and came out looking like Buckwheat. I couldn't comb it at all. It looked as though I'd stuck my finger in a socket. I called some much older friends from church who always wanted to do my hair and Dad drove me over. They used about half a tub of Bantu relaxer...NO BASE...on my head. I had scabs from here to kingdom come. That was my first relaxer. They rolled it on huge rollers and sat me under a hood dryer for a couple of hours. When it came down it was perfectly straight and I had bouncing and behaving "Breck Girl" hair. I loved it. Mom wasn't too thrilled, but it kept her from having to do my hair at all anymore. I did not have a retouch for a couple of years...seriously. My hair stayed straight. All it took was a good blow dryer.

Anyway, from there I experienced with different cuts...the "Different World" cut down there in high school, after which I had my first short cut that I called my Halle Berry cut. It would grow back and I'd do something else to it as you can see in the photos.

Last year, because of my job (school secretary who was struggling with getting to work on time flat ironing my just past shoulder length hair DAILY), I decided to cut it really short and do without relaxers. I thought, mistakenly, that wearing my hair natural, washing and going, would be "easy". But as many of you will realize, maintaining a short cut presents a different set of challenges, i.e. new growth, growing out of shape, etc. But we were about to go to the beach for summer vacation and I got it cut again. There were still some straight pieces that drove me crazy (still are almost a year later). In September of 2009 I had grown it out to a TWA and still felt like it didn't look right, so I went to a barber shop in the mall (black owned) and the proprietor basically told me I needed a man who would pay for my hair care. I was semi-insulted, but let him cut it down again...This time it was REALLY short, almost as short as my brother's haircut, though not shaved.

After that I found this site and a few others and decided to try the all natural route as far as products are concerned. I'd put my head through so many changes through the years (began coloring as a college freshman in 92) that honestly I wasn't sure what my natural hair would be like. Also, I have always had a dry scalp that hasn't been diagnosed as dandruff or psoriasis or eczema, etc. and no amount of medicated shampoos would do a darn thing. So cutting out the sulfates, silicones, parabens, etc. after reading up on it for months (from Sept. to Dec.) seemed the next thing to "try". So far it's working. My hair has never felt healthier or looked healthier. I've never received more compliments, but again, I live and work in a community where most black women I know ARE natural to some degree.

The lone holdouts so far are my parents and my brother. They're not against it, but they think it's another phase I'm in. I haven't been able to convince them otherwise even after all this time. My SIL is semi-supportive (she's natural, but won't wear an afro...she presses her hair or slicks it back)...but she's in shock. Most people who know me WELL would say that being "natural" or wearing any type of afro or twists, etc. is so not me. But it's who I am now. I've gotten used to it and I'm determined to see my natural hair at a decent length. But most importantly I want my hair to be healthy. With all of the options out there, I know I can do it, but even more helpful are your own stories here at CN.com. I would never have been able to get this far without turning back without this site, the product reviews, the encouragement you ladies give to everyone and for that I'm grateful.

Current products (mostly gleaned from this site):
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo and Conditioner (drove all the way to TJ's in Nashville)
Desert Essence Green Apple and Ginger and Red Raspberry something for shine
Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade (just a little bit each day)
Jane Carter Solutions Replenishing something or other conditioner
Jessicurl's WDCT
Sweet Almond Oil (used in my new leave-in)
Grapeseed Oil (used in my leave-in)

I'm expecting some Sunflower Pudding, Coco Light, Henna something and Green Tea Shampoo from Long Lovely Locks. I think it actually shipped after an entire MONTH!

And I just discovered on Friday that The Vitamin Shoppe next to my Target sells all the stuff I need! No more S &H! They have that EO stuff in the blue bottle, Dr. Bronner's Aubrey Organics and many others.

So, that's about it. If I have a goal it's completely healthy hair...if it stays this length, fine, but I'd be happier with more length. I can't really do a Twist and Curl or Braid and Curl at this length. My hair is super curly and it keeps coming apart when I try to do it. Not a great braider to begin with.

Thanks for letting me share all of this with you.

Baby Lori
Free2Be...For the Record Babylori2-vi

Kindergarten
Free2Be...For the Record Lorikindergarten1-vi

Third Grade
Free2Be...For the Record Lorithirdgrade-vi

Senior Pic
Free2Be...For the Record Loriseniorpic-vi

I'd attempted to cut my own hair and royally messed it up so Mom's stylist cut it off at the neck.
Free2Be...For the Record Atlantahair-vi

My favorite Breck Girl look
Free2Be...For the Record Lori-vi

A complete travesty...how could my friends let me do this?
Free2Be...For the Record Lorigold-vi

When the gold messed up my tresses, I cut it off again.
Free2Be...For the Record Lorishower-vi

Grown out pixie cut...holding my nephew...9/2005
Free2Be...For the Record LoriEJ-vi

Spring 2008, grown out from the previous cut...still relaxed
Free2Be...For the Record Lorinew-vi

Current, as in the last couple of weeks. TWA picked out before a wash.
Free2Be...For the Record Twa2310-vi

From the Back
Free2Be...For the Record Twapickedout310-vi

Blurry curls
Free2Be...For the Record Upclosecurls310-vi

Tonight...it's all shrunken from first thing this morning. Totally Twisted Curl Boosting Mousse, leave in, some grapeseed oil and Oyin Burnt Sugar. Too much product I think. At least too much mousse. Crunchy, but at least it didn't move. But I don't like that feeling. I'm still learning what works for me.
Free2Be...For the Record Twamarch15-vi

Thanks again for bearing with me.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Free2Be...For the Record Empty Re: Free2Be...For the Record

Post by tiashaunteé 16th March 2010, 10:43 am

Welcome!
You have had a serious hair journey!
and I too recently discovered Vitamin Shoppe...talk about trouble
Smile
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 16th March 2010, 10:55 am

Welcome!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 16th March 2010, 11:18 am

Welcome! You've got a great product line up!
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 16th March 2010, 11:21 am

Welcome ...
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 16th March 2010, 11:59 am

Welcome!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 16th March 2010, 7:27 pm

Welcome to the challenge!!! You have had quite a journey and I loved reading it! Your TWA is beautiful too Smile
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 16th March 2010, 7:38 pm

Great hair thread. Good luck
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 17th March 2010, 2:01 am

Welcome and have fun here Very Happy
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 17th March 2010, 10:38 pm

Welcome! Please check out the 35 and older thread on the Stylin' and Profilin'. We have fun in there.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 19th March 2010, 1:13 am

Welcome!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content