CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you view your hair as an accessory?

4 posters

Go down

Do you view your hair as an accessory? Empty Do you view your hair as an accessory?

Post by poeticlyspkng 20th February 2010, 9:39 pm

Hey everyone, I watched Good Hair with a group of naturalistas today and one statement recurred. Many ladies said they view their hair as an accessory. When I think of accessories- I think- earrings, bracelets, scarves, etc. But I view my hair as an extension of me. I get it that people don't want to be defined by their hair but comparing your hair to an accessory disturbs me. One reason I feel disturbed is because I consider accessories trendy and disposable. I don't think of my hair that way at all. What do you think?
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Do you view your hair as an accessory? Empty Re: Do you view your hair as an accessory?

Post by QTY PYE 20th February 2010, 9:49 pm

Hmmmm...I wonder if they called hair an accessory because of the the different things out in the market today. Like weaves, wigs, extensions, all which can come in different colors, shapes and sizes. If that is the case, makes sense right, trendy and disposable. Question though, the women that viewed their hair as accessories, were they natural?

I agree though that hair is an extension of who you are, just like our eyes, nose, smile, etc. In any case, work with what you have and if your happy, that is all that count.
QTY PYE
QTY PYE

Back to top Go down

Do you view your hair as an accessory? Empty Re: Do you view your hair as an accessory?

Post by JRoshelle 20th February 2010, 11:54 pm

I can understand how some women would vier there hair as accessories, because you can change your hair like you change typical accessories, but I think as Natural women we do not, because going natural is almost like changing who you are. I say this because you are more aware of what you do to your hair and body. I know before I went natural I didn't really think about what was healthy for my hair and what wasn't nor did I think too much about what I considered to be food (aka fast food crap) but I noticed that when I went back to my natural hair not only did i watch the products for my hair but I also watched what I ate because I knew it would make a difference on my hair. I have also started taking vitamins and drinking more water. I also pay attention to what my son takes in, and is applied to his hair and body. I have stopped using baby oils and really baby products all together (with the exception of shampoo just because if it gets into his eyes) I have started researching more natural products for my life all together. Like Shea butter is good for diaper rash, once i learned that I was able to stop using typical diaper rash cream. And there are a number of other things I have learned and changed since becoming natural. So I would have to say No Natural women do not look at their hair and a accessory, but as an extension of them selves, because it is a life style change.
JRoshelle
JRoshelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 21st February 2010, 1:14 am

JRoshelle you did it again - well said, I second that.

An accessory??? -- nah!
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 21st February 2010, 4:17 pm

All the women at the meetup were natural which is why it struck me as odd. My hair is no more an accessory than my feet. I might accessorize my hair, but it's not my accessory. I don't know ladies... I felt they were making an effort to say that they are not their hair but everything they said made me think otherwise. I mean, I'm not my hair but my hair is an important thing to me, short or long and I nurture it as such.
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down