CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can a Sistah Get Some Sheen Please.....??

+7
HAMPTONSFNST
NubieNatty
Erica5417
Jonezy
Mz. Thang
LadyMika
Koily_K-Lo
11 posters

Go down

Can a Sistah Get Some Sheen Please.....?? Empty Can a Sistah Get Some Sheen Please.....??

Post by Koily_K-Lo 17th February 2010, 2:57 pm

Ok...... I'm wondering how the heck a lot of you all get the B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L shine that I see in your pics. It seems like no matter what I do, I can't get a shine going on when my hair has dried.

I am blessed that my hair dries with a nice soft touch to it, just no shine..... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My "routine" (if that's what you want to call it) is extremely LOW to NO maintenance. Quick history:

I did the BC back in Sept 2009. I have since then finally found 2 product lines that my hair LOVES. They are Olive Oil and the CURLS line. In addition to those, my hair ABSO-TIVE-LY POS-I-LUTELY loves Organix Coconut Milk Serum & Cantu's Leave In Conditioner. So here is my routine (hee hee.... that sounds funny even for me!!). I mainly use te Olive Oil 'poo and cond' followed by the leave in and then the coconut milk and oh yeah, how can I forget, my Texture Your Way moisturizing lotion (OMG....LOVE IT!!!). After that, it's just go time. My hair is about 2.5 inches long but I have NOTHING BUT SHRINKAGE...... I literally have Koily-Springy looking curls at their very best. But once it dries (air dry never a dryer) there is no shine.

As for the CURLS line, I typically use that for 3-4 days about every 3 weeks just as a nice little change up, and then back to te Olive Oil but I still get the exact same results. NO SHINE [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have tried shiners, sheeners, glossers, and glitter type pomade-rs)!!, you name it and nothing. So what gives?? Any suggestions...... comments....etc.

Just an FYI.... my hair LOOOOOVVVVEEEESSSSS the thicker, heavier products. Sucks them right up like a sponge. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am SO lovin my natural hair.........THERE "AIN'T"NO GOING BACK TO RELAXERS....I just wanna be able to rock a shine even if it's just a little bit.... even if it's just a glow!!!

Can anyone out there hook a Sistah up???
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Can a Sistah Get Some Sheen Please.....?? Empty Re: Can a Sistah Get Some Sheen Please.....??

Post by LadyMika 17th February 2010, 3:01 pm

You might want to consider trying castor oil. It's pretty thick, and I get a shine out of my hair everytime I use it. There's no shine in my avatar because...well...I take a lot of gloomy pics. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] But, if I use it as a sealant, my hair DOES have a sheen at least. You can try the castor oil from the health food store. I'm not sure about the Jamaican Black Castor Oil (haven't gotten my hands on any yet), but there's some ladies here who use it--they might be able to help you with that one. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Can a Sistah Get Some Sheen Please.....?? Empty Re: Can a Sistah Get Some Sheen Please.....??

Post by Koily_K-Lo 17th February 2010, 4:02 pm

Thanks for the info Lady Mika..... Nice pic BTW (I would say more serious look than gloom!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ).... but unfortunately, castor oil and shea butter make my curls separate and give me a ROCKIN Fro that is ever so so, should I ever want to wear one.....
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mz. Thang 17th February 2010, 4:09 pm

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/butters-n-bars-miss-naturally-beautiful-you-2010-challenge-f14/mz-thang-t2104-25.htm

I was going to say exactly what Mika said but also try organic coconut oil. Those two oils does wonders for shine check out my bnb for pics at work now so I can't post any now. HTH link up above.
Mz. Thang
Mz. Thang

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 17th February 2010, 4:48 pm

I co-sign w/ the other ladies on the oils, especially the coconut on dry hair works well for me. Also I use Lacio Lacio leave-in conditioner before my oils (either coconut, or castor) on wet hair, and my hair shines every time since I've been using it. Lacio isn't heavy but it seems the do the trick for me.
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 17th February 2010, 4:55 pm

Koily_K-Lo wrote:Thanks for the info Lady Mika..... Nice pic BTW (I would say more serious look than gloom!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ).... but unfortunately, castor oil and shea butter make my curls separate and give me a ROCKIN Fro that is ever so so, should I ever want to wear one.....

Thank you! My boyfriend said I was going through a Uhura Phase (from the original Star Trek, not the movie)--she always had the eyeliner, the long lashes, and BIG HAIR. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] (That, was one fly sista!)

Seriously though; in addition to coconut oil as the ladies suggested, why not try extra virgin olive oil? It's not very thick, but it does give a good shine/sheen.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 17th February 2010, 5:38 pm

i don't have natural sheen either. Using Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair butter to seal in my oil and conditioner gives me a sheen for about 3 days and then I just touch up with coconut oil and CD Hair milk.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 17th February 2010, 10:02 pm

1. correction k-lo...you have 3 INCHES (i just measured)
2. turn around...i have virgin coconut oil ON HAND!! lol
3. EVOO rinses...oh wait i told u that already

also, its been hard to keep moisture in this winter esp after our snowstorm so im in the same boat as you tryin to get back in routine!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Koily_K-Lo 19th February 2010, 12:42 pm

Thanks for the advice ladies.... I have taken notes and will definitely b e trying all of the suggestions.

Are there any brands that you all reccommend or any that I should steer clear of?

Hey NubieNatty, thanks for measuring my hair and the correction!
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 19th February 2010, 1:09 pm

Stay away from the glossers, finishers, stuff like that. They are loaded with silicones to give a false look of shine. Try conditioning with cassia or henna. After continuous use, curlies rave about the sheen that has developed and the softness. Add honey to your mix.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Koily_K-Lo 19th February 2010, 1:55 pm

Ooooooohhhh.... good info (just like all the others). Thanks for the insight. Do you use cassia or henna? If so, which brand(s)?
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 19th February 2010, 2:03 pm

I use cassia but may change to henna during the warmer months after I BC. I currently use Rainbow, a brand I purchased at my local health food store. CurlyNikki initially used this brand before upgrading to a finer blend. This treatment is messy but my hair was so soft that I skipped my leave-in and followed only with my styler and shea butter. I add jojoba to the cassia once it's cooled but someone had suggested to add plain yogurt and honey for easy rinsing. I'm a novice.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Koily_K-Lo 19th February 2010, 2:17 pm

You said: ".... I add jojoba to the cassia once it's cooled."" What do uyou mean? Once what has cooled?

I too am a novice and am starting to "branch out" with my what I do to my hair.
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Can a Sistah Get Some Sheen Please.....?? Empty FINALLY...........!!!!!!!!!

Post by Koily_K-Lo 15th March 2010, 12:09 am

Ok...... First of all Thanks again for all of the tips. I have experimented withthem all with varying degrees of success and "failures".

I am so happy to let you all know that I FINALLY found products and routine that not only give me sheen and shine but ALL DAY LONG sheen and shine!!!! Woo Wooo!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I did my hair for church this morn and noticed that I was having a VERY GOOD hair day. I checked the look of my hair later in the day and was still haveing a great hair day. So this it what it feels like!!
I have attached pics that were taken this afternoon about 6:30 (EST!!)

Feeling pretty darned spectacular right now!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 15th March 2010, 12:15 am

It looks very nice. Very good hair day, indeed.
So what did you use?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Koily_K-Lo 15th March 2010, 12:24 am

I used the poo and cond from Beyond the Zone's Noodle Head Collection. Immediately after washing I added just a bit of the conditioner as a leave in and worked it in to the roots. (I found that it works best while my hair is dripping wet. I guess the water "carries" it through) I let that sit for a few minutes.

Next I used Organix Coconut Oil Serum and let that sit for a few minutes

Next I used Texture My Way Curling Lotion (this has been a fav and an "Old Faithful" of mine since I bc'd back in Sept.) I let that sit for a few minutes.

Then I styled it as in the pic and repeated the Coconut oil and Curling Lotion in SMALL amounts as needed, where needed until it felt and looked right. At the very end I used Noodle Heads Curling Serum to fight frizzy fly aways and VOILA!!!!........ Koily K Lo is very happy!!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I think I'm actually "frolicking through my house"!!!!! Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee !!!!!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 15th March 2010, 1:45 am

LOL
WELL ENJOY!! IT LOOKS GREAT Very Happy
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 15th March 2010, 3:29 am

beautiful, love the hair band too!
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th March 2010, 3:36 am

nice sheen...now if i can only break u away from hidin behind those headbands so much! and u sure do love that organix coconut serum, lol. i take it thats one of ur staples!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 15th March 2010, 5:51 am

Erica5417 wrote:i don't have natural sheen either. Using Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair butter to seal in my oil and conditioner gives me a sheen for about 3 days and then I just touch up with coconut oil and CD Hair milk.

That is exactly what I was about to say. I just found the Healthy Hair butter in the tons of products in my cabinet and I tried it for the first time yesterday. I woke up this morning and touched my hair like WHHHAATTTT girl hair is feeling soft. But everyone has great advice so I am going to also try that to keep my hair wit some sheen.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 15th March 2010, 2:03 pm

The Healthy Hair butter is definitely a part of my regimen. I purchased the Black Vanilla set when I removed my last weave install and since then me and my butter will never part. I have a jar I carry with me at all times and a spare for home. If only the scent could be as pleasant as the Black Vanilla or Almond Cookie lines.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 15th March 2010, 2:47 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote: I have a jar I carry with me at all times and a spare for home. If only the scent could be as pleasant as the Black Vanilla or Almond Cookie lines.

ROTFL...now I thought I was a FANatic! *low key, I just bought some small containers so I could do the same thing! I've come to actually like the smell, I contemplated mixing in a few drops of another essential oil but I certainly don't want to make the smell worse.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 15th March 2010, 5:22 pm

Your hair looks great [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] with you! It looks like it has grown since we met [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Poundcake921 15th March 2010, 5:35 pm

You must use hair polisher....I was fretting about the same issues that you are having with your hair...2 of my friends suggested IC Fantasia Hair Polisher and it worked like a charm...you should put a couple of drops in your hand along with your gel and/or moisturizer and run it thru your hair...and voila! your hair will have instant shine and will look very hydrated...it really makes a world of difference!
Poundcake921
Poundcake921

Back to top Go down

Post by Koily_K-Lo 22nd March 2010, 1:07 pm

@ Nubie Natty...... Gurl wait 'til I see u!!! I'm gonna pull one of your curls!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Leave me and the headband alone. I like the big "Puff" that they give me. Ere go my daughter naming my hair Puff & Stuff!!

@Chris....Thanks a lot. It has. At last measurement by Nubie one month ago it was 3" long (about 2.5 inches since our last Meet up!!)

@Jonezy.....Thank you. Side note.... I usually combine two head bands to get the look of one big one. Can't seem to find the big ones that don't cost an arm and a leg. BTW.......LOVE THE HAIR GURL!!! What did you use and is it a twist out or no??? Absolutely B..... E......A.......U.....TIFUL!!!

@ Poundcake.... (Gurl you make me wanna go bake one!!) I've tried a few hair polishers (which will be on the table for swapping @ our next meet up DMV Lovelies!) with absolutely NO SUCCESS and a bit of drying. Maybe I'll keep one and try the mixing suggestion you gave me.

I'm gonna have to check my email settings cause the last few responses went to my Spam box. NOT COOL AT ALL..... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But thank you Lovelies for all of the advice, compliments, and extra tidbits (Nubie!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ).
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down