CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert

4 posters

Go down

Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert Empty Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert

Post by d.denise 7th January 2010, 3:57 am

I'm only on page 30 but I love her style of writing - I laugh out loud multiple times on any # of pages and find myself wanting to write down quotes and things that she says. It's a very different tone than eat pray love but its very much her voice. It's all about examining marriage and why people marry and some of the traditions we keep for nothing and more... I am enjoying reading this as my views of marriage have grown a lot since being engaged and disengaged and now single again and vowing not to marry til im 30! lol ok maybe not 30 but this book is a great read so far! I'll be sure to update as I read more.

This is from the amazon.com. Check out the site to read some of the other readers comments (who have actually finished the book!) http://www.amazon.com/Committed-Skeptic-Makes-Peace-Marriage/dp/0670021652/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262847140&sr=8-1

Editorial Reviews

Product Description

At the end of her bestselling memoir Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert fell in love with Felipe, a Brazilian-born man of Australian citizenship who’d been living in Indonesia when they met. Resettling in America, the couple swore eternal fidelity to each other, but also swore to never, ever, under any circumstances get legally married. (Both were survivors of previous horrific divorces. Enough said.) But providence intervened one day in the form of the United States government, which—after unexpectedly detaining Felipe at an American border crossing—gave the couple a choice: they could either get married, or Felipe would never be allowed to enter the country again. Having been effectively sentenced to wed, Gilbert tackled her fears of marriage by delving into this topic completely, trying with all her might to discover through historical research, interviews, and much personal reflection what this stubbornly enduring old institution actually is. Told with Gilbert’s trademark wit, intelligence and compassion, Committed attempts to “turn on all the lights” when it comes to matrimony, frankly examining questions of compatibility, infatuation, fidelity, family tradition, social expectations, divorce risks and humbling responsibilities. Gilbert’s memoir is ultimately a clear-eyed celebration of love with all the complexity and consequence that real love, in the real world, actually entails.
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert Empty Re: Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert

Post by gemofacurlgirl 11th August 2010, 9:34 pm

I really loved eat pray love her style of writing is very honest and pleasant to read i can't wait to read this book !
gemofacurlgirl
gemofacurlgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by BigLipTiff 31st August 2010, 1:27 pm

I'll def check that out. I'm about halfway thru Eat Pray Love right now, and I'm loving it. It has helped me become more aware of my spirit.
BigLipTiff
BigLipTiff

Back to top Go down

Post by sakred 9th February 2011, 3:48 pm

I read Committed, not only becaause I am a fan of Gilbert, but also because I was in a serious relationship and embarking on marriage. Very intriguing read. Thoroughly enjoyed the research and humor. Committed taught me that marriage is as natural as eating, loving and praying. We do it, because God intended us to do it. It is government and church throughout history that has tainted it to become a legal act as opposed to a spiritual one.

sakred

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum