CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head.First

+11
SheeTacular
Lynnieluve
vonda4b
Pinkrage
ChrsLvsBks
d.denise
Freestyles
AfrikanLatina
HumanNature
sweetdrk1
breezy+1
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Head.First Empty Head.First

Post by breezy+1 30th December 2009, 11:57 pm

Hey Guys!

First things first my name is Brejai...(Bree-ja-ay), you can call me Bree for short. I did the big chop yesterday and being true to form (dork) I video taped the entire process, I realized about halfway through it that even though I have read and collected as much information as possible, I am still absolutely clueless on how to deal with my natural hair. It doesnt help either that I am hair challenged, whether it be permed or natural...so I have permenantly enlisted my sister as my personal stylist until further notice. So as she attempts for the second time tonite to twist my tWa I am going to share with you guys.

I have had a perm since I was eleven, my mom had five girls and I think she was pretty much done with her weekly hair days in which she would wash, and braid all five of our heads for the week. Little did she know she opened up an entirely new realm of hair dependency. I was never taught proper hair care, period. Even now I find it a pain to wrap my hair at night or moisturize unless its being unruly. I always preferred low maintenance as opposed to stylish (pony tails or half up and half down). In January2009 , my roommate came home with her hair chopped all off so she could lock up. Ever since that day I have been obsessed with becoming natural. My perms were always every 6 months so in Feburary 2009 I went and chopped off all of my hair in a style...bad idea! Everyone loved it, I hated it...I wore scarves, hats and braids until it grew out and I could straighten it. Even after I straightened it, I still wasnt use to the maintenance of short hair, braids became my new best friend.

So now months later, I decided to bite the bullet and start all over again.
Sooo wish me luck, your advice and opinions are welcome, invited, solicitied, every little bit helps

Happy Holidays everyone!

I am on the right:

Head.First YasNBreeCarHead.First Eh011

the first cut:

Head.First BigCHOP02162009101Head.First GettingComfortable017-1Head.First 103_3037Head.First Rosemary133
growing it out (Dec 15, 2009)- mostly new growth
and my go to style

Here are the links to the videos of my BC

https://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/JiiZZy/?action=view&current=SUNP0013.flv

https://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/JiiZZy/?action=view&current=SUNP0015.flv

https://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/JiiZZy/?action=view&current=SUNP0016.flv

https://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/JiiZZy/?action=view&current=SUNP0017.flv

Last edited by breezy+1 on 31st December 2009, 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total

breezy+1

Back to top Go down

Head.First Empty Re: Head.First

Post by sweetdrk1 31st December 2009, 12:00 am

welcome to the forum!! I look forward to reading about your journey!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanNature 31st December 2009, 12:28 am

G-O-O-D L-U-C-K, GOOD LUCK! I WISH YOU (clap clap) LOTS OF LUCK! (sorry, cheer flash back). Welcome, I can't wait to see the video!
HumanNature
HumanNature

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 31st December 2009, 12:32 am

You've come to the right place! Welcome sis! Smile
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 31st December 2009, 1:17 am

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! Congrats on your BC!

---Reese Head.First Icon_rr
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 31st December 2009, 1:29 am

welcome bree! love that short pixie-like cut on you!
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 31st December 2009, 2:31 pm

Welcome, I watched a couple of the videos. You have a lot of hair. It is thick and appears healthy. I can see you with flat twists in the front, sides brushed back with gel and a puff in the back. There are so many things you can do that will not take much to learn.

I cannot wait to see what you and your sister come up with!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 31st December 2009, 2:57 pm

Hey Bree, welcome!
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by breezy+1 31st December 2009, 7:08 pm

Thank you, everyone for such a warm welcome!
Head.First Icon_biggrin

So I late last night while standing in the bathroom mirror with a sink full of my hair, I realized that I am just a little chop happy. I just kept hacking off little pieces of permed ends I spotted with no direction or method. I literally had to give the sissors to my sister to hide them from my late night impulses. Called my friend who is a barber today to salvage what damage I did, so sometime next week I'll be heading to the shop.

I wore my hair out today and I must say it wasnt as bad as I had anticipated. I kept catching glimpses of myself and found it somewhat empowering albeit my hair is a little dry because I am terrified of putting anything in it before I left the house.
I later spent four hours in WholeFoods, Sallys and Target looking form something to moisturize with (other than the kajillion moisturizers i have at the house) and everything just...i dunno, didnt seem right. Now my hair is all icky from testing product on different areas. I did buy some ridiculously expensive Shea Butter from Whole Foods (12.99 for 4 oz...your kidding right? Nope) so as soon as I got home I looked up Butter-n-Bars and realized I was not getting my bang for my buck (which is what I am big on) so I returned that super quick and now I am about to wash this crap out my hair and bring in the New Year pampering my hair.

<3 so lets rundown the list
I am a reluctant product junkie, chop happy, excessive conditioning, hair challenged natural diva

but I am loving every minute of it. I'll post pics of me today with my TWA.

I hope every single one of you have a amazing new year!

breezy+1

Back to top Go down

Post by breezy+1 31st December 2009, 7:14 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Welcome, I watched a couple of the videos. You have a lot of hair. It is thick and appears healthy. I can see you with flat twists in the front, sides brushed back with gel and a puff in the back. There are so many things you can do that will not take much to learn.

That is a great idea, the past couple night I have been sitting up trying different hairstyles (i know i know, I am not suppose to play with my hair). But I figure once I get down a few go-to styles I will find it easier to leave it alone. I will definitely try the one you suggest. Thanks!

breezy+1

Back to top Go down

Post by vonda4b 31st December 2009, 7:29 pm

Welcome Bree. This site will definitely give you some ideas. I did my first TNC Christmas Eve (avatar pic) I think I did pretty good but I am itching to cut some of this relaxer off.
vonda4b
vonda4b

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 2nd January 2010, 12:04 pm

Hey Bree! Welcome to the challenge and Congratulations on your BC!! I cant wait to see what style you and your sister come up with.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 2nd January 2010, 12:16 pm

Welcome Bree!!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 2nd January 2010, 12:25 pm

Short hair looks really good on you...gives you that model-ish look
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 2nd January 2010, 12:48 pm

welcome....
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 2nd January 2010, 5:19 pm

breezy+1 wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:Welcome, I watched a couple of the videos. You have a lot of hair. It is thick and appears healthy. I can see you with flat twists in the front, sides brushed back with gel and a puff in the back. There are so many things you can do that will not take much to learn.

That is a great idea, the past couple night I have been sitting up trying different hairstyles (i know i know, I am not suppose to play with my hair). But I figure once I get down a few go-to styles I will find it easier to leave it alone. I will definitely try the one you suggest. Thanks!
NP, glad I could help.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 2nd January 2010, 11:26 pm

Welcome to the challenge, I totally feel you on being hair challenged. I could never do my hair when it was relaxed. I dont have a sister to help with my hair so at least you have a go to girl. Cant wait to see your TWA pics!!!
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 3rd January 2010, 1:57 am

welcome!!! just have fun Head.First Icon_biggrin

And don't forget to "click, take a pic" Head.First Icon_lol
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 3rd January 2010, 2:09 am

LOL @Intelligentbeauty, has someone watched too much Diego?
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 4th January 2010, 4:08 am

Yes. Way too much Diego, Adiaha Head.First Icon_lol
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Head.First Empty What was Janet thinking?

Post by breezy+1 6th January 2010, 4:32 pm

I must apologize. My computer cord is fried! Dont you hate it when that happens?
So I cannot update as regularly as I would like.

But today I braved the Florida winter (BRrRrr) and came over to the office to check my email and like an addict I logged on to CN and suprisingly it worked! Yay! So let me update...

I did...well my mother and I (who, might I add, is going to go natural this year thanks to my influence) completed our first successful twist out. It turned out soo cute, it was a little frizzy cause I have yet to make it to the barber to handle my ends. But I loved it and rocked the heck out of it for a couple days then the dreaded cold front came in. So I convinced my sister to braid my hair in these huge Janet Jackson (Poetic Justice) braids...badd idea. On top of not being able to sleep do to little man inside me, kicking and squishing every internal organ I own. These braids are another contributing factor to my sleepless nights! What was she thinking? What was I thinking?
SMH

Anywho since I am ordering my computer cord today it should be here in a week or so. But I will definitely brave the cold and walk back over here to upload pics of my little twist out and of my braids, (which will be coming out probably in a week or two). If this computer allows.

Still, I am waiting on my Shea butter I ordered online...But funny story, in my journey across the city to that one hairstore in the hood (you know what i am talking about) that has everything for super cheap. I found out that they sell shea butter for $5.99! Which made me feel extremely happy and extremely stupid for being to lazy to check over there in the first place...but honestly, who would have thought? So between them and iherb, i should be set! The little pleasure of life, I swear.

Ok so I am going to go get my little pic uploader thing and try to come right back. Time me!

breezy+1

Back to top Go down

Post by breezy+1 6th January 2010, 4:33 pm

Nothing wrong with a little Diego or Dora for that matter!
That Swiper te Foxx sure is tricky.

breezy+1

Back to top Go down

Post by breezy+1 6th January 2010, 4:36 pm

vonda4b wrote:Welcome Bree. This site will definitely give you some ideas. I did my first TNC Christmas Eve (avatar pic) I think I did pretty good but I am itching to cut some of this relaxer off.

Well I figured I wouldnt be straightening my hair for a very long time, so if it was uneven, lopsided or hacked the hell up you wouldnt really be able to tell...so I just went to town. I wouldnt advise anyone to do the same but if your impulsive and carefree...its quite a nice feeling.

breezy+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 6th January 2010, 5:30 pm

Cant wait to see the pics. When are you due?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by breezy+1 6th January 2010, 6:28 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Cant wait to see the pics. When are you due?

I am due in March

breezy+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next