CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miss Jessie's vs. Kinky-Curly?

+6
jerseygirl
Tamren
Divinebeauty87
envizionj
NylaCoils
blknbutiful1
10 posters

Go down

Miss Jessie's vs. Kinky-Curly? Empty Miss Jessie's vs. Kinky-Curly?

Post by blknbutiful1 13th December 2009, 5:06 pm

I have been using Miss Jessie's products but I hear that the Kniky-Curly products are good (if not better). Any thoughts, options? So far I have use the Baby Buttercreme, Quick Curls, and Curly Pudding? I have been transitioning for about 8 months and recently started cutting my permed ends. Any help concerning these products?
blknbutiful1
blknbutiful1

Back to top Go down

Miss Jessie's vs. Kinky-Curly? Empty Re: Miss Jessie's vs. Kinky-Curly?

Post by NylaCoils 14th December 2009, 1:15 am

I have used MJ curly pudding- it is ok the smell is strong. I use Kinky Curly Curling Custard- the smell isnt as strong as MJ Curling Pudding!

I havent found anything that moisturized like MJ buttercreme. I just use shea or some oil since Miss jessies products now contain mineral oil- which is a no for natural hair

Hope that helps Smile
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by blknbutiful1 14th December 2009, 7:38 pm

THANKS!
blknbutiful1
blknbutiful1

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 19th December 2009, 12:09 am

I have used both Kinky Kurly with the conditioner and curling custard and I was very disappointed. My hair was hard and had white residue throughout although I used very little product. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I tried Miss Jessie's products (Baby Buttercreme, Unscented Curly Pudding, Curly Buttercreme, and the Curly Meringue). The baby butter cream still has an overpowering scent from 2007 to now and was a bit oily and did nothing for my hair. I just rubbed a little in my hands to dab on my hair to add fragrance to my hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The unscented curly pudding left me with a dry, hard afro. The curly meringue gave me tight shrunken curls that were very hard and crunchy to the touch.

When I initially contacted Miss Jessie's customer service in July 2009, supposedly the young lady who said she was a stylist was really a receptionist when I found out later on. Although I stressed I have very thick and coily hair with a lot of shrinkage, she insisted the Curly pudding would work for me since she is a stylist. I contacted customer service, the toll free number and explained that I was told it would work, and they said no way with my shrinkage. They said I should use the curly buttercreme for and do a twist out after blow drying my hair, applying product and sitting under the dryer. I followed the steps and let my hair air dry, since I don't sit under dryers unless it's an emergency. I can't stand the heat and it really drys out my hair.

I wish Miss Jessie's offered me a refund through Ricky's because I ended up with a greasy fro that frizzed up with no curl definition whatsoever. The curly buttercream was a hot mess. I only used 1 oz of the 8 oz size and really need to get rid of it. After following up on the ingredients, I see why it did nothing for my hair. I paid $34.99 plus tax in New York at Ricky's and would love to unload it for $25.00.

Here are the ingredients ...
Ingredients:Deionized Water, Acetylated Lanolin,
Beeswax , Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Carbomer 940, Fragrance,
Peppermint Oil, Castor Oil, Dilaurate Laneth-15, Glycerin, Glyceryl
Stearate, Hydrolyzed Animal Protein, Imidazolidinyl, Jojoba Oil, Laneth
15, Mineral Oil ,Methyl Paraben, Milk Protein, Panthenol, Paraffin,
PEG-400, PEG-100, Stearate, Petrolatum, Propyl Paraben,
Triethanolamine, Vitamin E, Wheat Germ Oil.

Here is a link to another site that lists reviews about the products
http://www.curlmart.com/store/product.php?productid=577&cat=0&page=1 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by blknbutiful1 19th December 2009, 1:24 am

Thanks, A LOT!
blknbutiful1
blknbutiful1

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 19th December 2009, 1:28 am

@envizionj put it on the product swap board someone may take it. Also you can put it up on the product swap board at naturallycurly.com

@blknbutiful1- with the KCCC- you do need to place a leave in under it or some type of oil to avoid crunchiness.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 19th December 2009, 1:29 pm

Thank you NylaCoils [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Divinebeauty87 21st December 2009, 4:11 pm

I tried both of these products over the summer and used them for different styles. I used the Kinky Curly Knot Today and the Curling Custard for wash-n-go (you have to use a little of this product or your hair will feel crunchy and look like noodles, lol). I used the Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and Curly Meringue for twistouts. Then moisturized with the Baby Buttercreme. I felt like the Miss Jessie product was heavy on my hair. And once I noticed the mineral oil and paraben in the ingredients I was done with the product. In my opinion, that's expensive vaseline. I will use KCCC again but I'll pass on the Miss Jessie's.
Divinebeauty87
Divinebeauty87

Back to top Go down

Post by blknbutiful1 21st December 2009, 4:21 pm

Thanks, this is vey helpful.
blknbutiful1
blknbutiful1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamren 21st December 2009, 8:32 pm

I hear so much about these products, now I have more knowledge about both. ..glad I came in this thread!
Tamren
Tamren

Back to top Go down

Miss Jessie's vs. Kinky-Curly? Empty Miss Jessie vs Kinky Curly - Both are Winners!

Post by jerseygirl 23rd December 2009, 2:47 am

I have use both of these products and when my hair was shoulder length and texturized. Miss Jessie Products and Kinky Curly Products worked great on my hair. Now that I recently did the BC and is currently sporting a TWA and All Natural hair, Miss Jessie left my hair dry and Kinky Curly Custard made my hair POP! with curls and moisturized! It's all natural and my hair loves it! I am saving my Miss Jessie Products for when my hair grows out, so I can sport some twist outs and wild fros! You must play with the products and give it a chance to work for your texture of hair. It's a hit and miss with products. Buy sample sizes at first before you purchase a large container. All hair texture is not the same. I can't use any thing on my hair that is not all natural, my hair hate cones, alcohol, etc. I am using the curly girl method when it comes to my hair. I will be using Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo, Knot Today Leave In and Curly Custard during my TWA period and while my hair is growing out. It leaves my hair moisturized with a little crunch, I rub a little oil on my hair and the crunch is gone and the next day hair needs a little spritz of water, shake and I am good to go! It takes practice to train you hair and product to work together. Don't give up so quick on a good product, try and try again before you give up. Ask others with the same texture hair like yours, on what product they use and like and get a sample.
jerseygirl
jerseygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 28th December 2009, 12:03 am

I love KCCC! I started when I was transitioning from heat damaged straight pieces and it was my staple product.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Originally, I used the KCCC with the Knot Today and I had crunchy hair. To combat this I started using a mixture of glycernin and aloe vera gel or juice as my leave-in. Then, I replaced the Knot Today with my glycern/aloe leave-in. No more cruchiness especially if I didn't wet my hair every day. I used a spritz with water, glycerin, and some oils to fluff daily. My hair was moisturized and defined. I did experience a great deal of shrinkage at first and then it was loosen to a fuller style.

I started using the conditioner only method and put the KCCC to the back of shelf. But today I pulled it out and it looks great. Like the other sister said you will have to play with the product to get it to work for you. The amount you use is important and your hair needs to be soaking wet when you apply it. I find that the drier my hair is the harder it becomes. Try the glycerin and aloe mix in place of the Knot Today or try just the Knot Today. I love that as well. My avatar is just the Knot Today over my mixture.

MJ has mineral oil in it and I don't use that on my hair. All of the reviews I've seen on youtube were negative so I won't even try it.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LearninToLove 28th December 2009, 1:11 am

I use KCCC on my 3b and 4a/b daughters and it makes their curls pop! I've got to do better with second day hair though in using it since it always comes out dry and I'm scared of putting anything in it and mess up their curls. I LOVE KCCC, but only because it's the only thing I've tried. One thing I don't like about it is that their hair has to be soaking wet when you apply. I would like to speed up frying times. I've never tried it on dry hair except to sprouce up the curls the next day by applying and coiling any overly frizzy and dry strands. I have yet to try it on my hair, but I'm transitioning so it might not work too well...

Last edited by LearninToLove on 28th December 2009, 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added part about wet setting)
LearninToLove
LearninToLove

http://www.my-natural-motherhood-journey.com/work-at-home-mom-to

Back to top Go down

Post by pandzz 29th December 2009, 7:53 pm

I use kinky curly and love it, not at first though. I hated it at first because of the reasons many have posted. However since it is rather expensive I refused to give up. I have found that if you use less product you wil lget better results. Also, on my 2nd and 3rd day hair I use curls quenched curls moisturizer and it just makes my hair look fab! Smile
pandzz
pandzz

Back to top Go down

Post by cassadie3 12th February 2010, 6:58 pm

in terms of ingredients, I Think that KC products are far better than MJ. KC products are all natural whereas MJ products are full of silicones and other chemicals.

having used both, I thought the MJ products were a LOT heavier and didn't really do much for my hair in terms of moisture. But they COULD hold a 2 strand twist out for 2 weeks. I think MJ didnt allow my curls to curl as much as they do naturally...

I'm happy with KC products and if you're ever looking for an even CHEAPER alternative to KCCC, try EcoStyler...
cassadie3
cassadie3

http://naturalselectionblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down