CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learning to embrace fuzzy hair...

+18
Juices-n-Berries
Curly Film Chick
dajewel
funkyhairchic
mrsmackey
Russet
ChrsLvsBks
Naturalbaby
poeticlyspkng
DivaDreamgirl
Lynnieluve
Intelligentbeauty
krazy coils
rayray19
TheRYL1
sweetdrk1
FalconTress
Kea::curls
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Learning to embrace fuzzy hair... Empty Hello to old friends & ready to meet my new neighbors :)

Post by Kea::curls 29th January 2011, 2:49 pm

Hi everyone Smile

For those of you who were here when i BC'd over a year ago...i'm back from hiding &&& happy to say I graduated from college with my bachelor's degree this past December!!! To everyone else: My name is Kea::curls, you can call me Kea if you'd like Smile i used to post on this thread when it was just a hair challenge, but went into hiding b/c i became a little...how do i say this...*addicted* and needed more time to focus on my studies. lol. Now i'd like to move into CurlStreet, as long as there's space for another ::curly fro:: I'm currently applying to grad schools & studying for the GRE, so i promise not to be too rowdy or loud, except for when i'm celebrating a new hair style, of course Smile

So here's a quick recap: I BC'd after about 5 months of not having a relaxer &&& got tired of fighting with a blow dryer + CHI flat iron on a weekly basis, so i reached for a pair of scissors one weekend...and you know the rest! Mineral oil & petroleum are my enemies; I am somewhat CG, but i use a low sulfate shampoo to help keep my scalp in check. I love twist-outs and 2 strand twists...they changed my hair life!

::BC day!!! washNgo, November 15th 2009::
Learning to embrace fuzzy hair... Img_1110

::Grad day hair &&& one of my first braid outs!!! ::December 18, 2010Learning to embrace fuzzy hair... Nikeas10

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Learning to embrace fuzzy hair... Empty Re: Learning to embrace fuzzy hair...

Post by FalconTress 29th January 2011, 3:02 pm

Welcome back & congrats on your graduation!

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 29th January 2011, 3:23 pm

Welcome back! Congratulations on the degrees! I love that puff! Awesome growth!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 29th January 2011, 4:36 pm

FalconTress wrote:Welcome back & congrats on your graduation!

Thank you!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 29th January 2011, 4:38 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Welcome back! Congratulations on the degrees! I love that puff! Awesome growth!

Thanks Sweet Smile I saw your post on CN about big chop #2 a while ago & you're definitely rocking that TWA! I'm glad to be back & getting back into the swing of things.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 29th January 2011, 6:21 pm

Hey Kea!

College graduation...Congratulations ! ;-)

Your graduation braid out was the biz...Priceless! LOL
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 29th January 2011, 6:41 pm

Hey!! i guess you could consider me a new neighbor!! I love you avatar pic too!! you hair is gorgeous
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 29th January 2011, 6:45 pm

Hey Kea,

Welcome back and congratulations on your graduation!
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 30th January 2011, 12:18 am

WELCOME BAAAACCCKKK!!!

CONGRATS ON YOUR GRADUATION!!

YOUR HAIR LOOKS AWESOME. I HAVE BEEN PEAKING IN ON YOUR FACEBOOK PHOTOS FROM TIME TO TIME. YOUR HAIR IS GORGEOUS!! afro
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 30th January 2011, 1:06 am

Welcome back Kea!!!! Congratulations again on college graduate!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 2nd February 2011, 4:59 pm

rayray19 wrote:Hey!! i guess you could consider me a new neighbor!! I love you avatar pic too!! you hair is gorgeous

HI Ray Smile I love your avi tooooo!!!

krazy coils wrote:Hey Kea,

Welcome back and congratulations on your graduation!

Thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 2nd February 2011, 5:10 pm

Hi Ladies,

Thanks IB and Lynnie!!!

So....
I can't believe it's only the middle of the week, I have no idea why i'm so tired! Anyways, I wanted to pop-in because i made two discoveries about my hair recently (for me, anyways) and i'm so excited!

1.) I've always favored EVOO, castor oil and jojoba...but for some reason coconut oil just wasn't working for me. On top of making me break-out like ::crazy:: it just never seemed to absorb into my wet hair. Plus last winter, it always solidified in my hair and made it feel hard (like gel) whenever I went outside. So, I would say that I haven't used it probably since last January/December. Fast forward to now and for some reason I picked up a jar while grocery shopping. When i got home i remembered my bad experiences with it and decided to try it on dry hair instead. I had previously stretched my hair using shea butter on my braid out, so when it was time to refresh i decided to use coconut oil in a smoothing motion on my ends.

Can i say W-O-W. I don't know if it was the combination with the shea butter or what, but I woke up to super soft, super smooth, super stretched hair the next day...like i've never felt before...i was dazed. lol.

And i'm one of the "cool peoples" who uses EVCO now, too! I never thought this day would come. I actually think i prefer it over EVOO for my dry hair.

--> i know i said i had 2 things to talk about, but i put myself on a time limit & promised that i'd be off CN by 3pm, to go study...it's 3:09 now, so it'll just have to wait. Adios afro

Back to top Go down

Post by DivaDreamgirl 2nd February 2011, 5:16 pm

Welcome back and congratulations!!
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 2nd February 2011, 5:24 pm

Hi Kea! I don't think we've met but your home is quite cozy! Wink

Anyway- you had some awesome growth in just a year?? i'm amazed! Love your avi and congrats on your graduation. Sounds like you took the time you needed to get the job done!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalbaby 13th February 2011, 11:46 pm

Congrats! If you dont mind me asking, what grad programs are you applying to? I graduating this December and am looking into graduate school in psychology.
Naturalbaby
Naturalbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 14th February 2011, 11:01 am

DivaDreamgirl wrote:Welcome back and congratulations!!

Thank you Smile

poeticlyspkng wrote:Hi Kea! I don't think we've met but your home is quite cozy! Wink

Anyway- you had some awesome growth in just a year?? i'm amazed! Love your avi and congrats on your graduation. Sounds like you took the time you needed to get the job done!

Thanks!!! Yes, its been a little over a year now...i guess a year & 3 months, wow i didn't realize that its been that long since today! lol. i wouldn't have been this well off w/o learning about CN and sealing + 2 strand twists...

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 14th February 2011, 11:04 am

Naturalbaby wrote:Congrats! If you dont mind me asking, what grad programs are you applying to? I graduating this December and am looking into graduate school in psychology.

Hi Naturalbaby! Not at all, i love talking about school (lol). I was a Biology major during undergrad and now i'm applying to Master of Public Health programs in Epidemiology (tracking disease and population health). How far along in the process are you? Have you been studying for the GRE or started looking at schools?

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 14th February 2011, 2:37 pm

Hi Kea!

Congratulations on your graduation! Hoping you all the best in your continued studies. Your career choice sounds quite interesting.

You have retained great length. Your avatar puff is too cute (as are you)!

Welcome to the EVCO team! I had stopped using it a while ago for no particular reason other than trying new things. I definitely like it. I'm trying to use up all this stuff I have but I keep buying Crying or Very sad .
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalbaby 14th February 2011, 3:44 pm

Im pretty early in the process. Im looking at different programs in school and clinical psychology. I plan on taking the GRE this march, I have been studying but idk if i have been studying enough to get the scores that these programs are asking for. Since the GRE is changing in Aug I wanted to be done with it before the changes come. Goodluck studying!

P.S. I love your hair. I stalk your pics on FOTKI lol but have never started an account smh
Naturalbaby
Naturalbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 15th February 2011, 6:57 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Hi Kea!

Congratulations on your graduation! Hoping you all the best in your continued studies. Your career choice sounds quite interesting.

You have retained great length. Your avatar puff is too cute (as are you)!

Welcome to the EVCO team! I had stopped using it a while ago for no particular reason other than trying new things. I definitely like it. I'm trying to use up all this stuff I have but I keep buying Crying or Very sad .

Thanks Chrs! I'm hoping that my puff will be able to become more of a bun over the next year (like that cute style in your avi! that's actually my length goal for 2011, to (hopefully) get a bun...or close to it...

Naturalbaby wrote:Im pretty early in the process. Im looking at different programs in school and clinical psychology. I plan on taking the GRE this march, I have been studying but idk if i have been studying enough to get the scores that these programs are asking for. Since the GRE is changing in Aug I wanted to be done with it before the changes come. Goodluck studying!

P.S. I love your hair. I stalk your pics on FOTKI lol but have never started an account smh

lol on the hair stalking....but its not stalking coz we're curl friends now! i wish i had started the entire process sooner, i underestimated the time it would take to narrow down a list of schools and then start getting my material together. If you have time, I think a great way to get focused is to swing by your local public library and pick up some books about the Grad school application progress. You could check your school library too, but i found the public library books to be more general (& that helped me!) Good luck on the GRE! I'm taking a class to help me prep for it now & i'm scheduled to take in during march, too (cross my fingers for my target score).

P.S. they say its good to read the New York times to help with the vocab familiarity...if you sign-up for the New York times online, there's a free 1 or 2 month subscription you can use (saves you ~$40)!

Back to top Go down

Learning to embrace fuzzy hair... Empty My first professional :: updo ::

Post by Kea::curls 15th February 2011, 7:16 pm

Hi Ladies Smile

Happy Tuesday!!!

Since graduating, I have still only been working part-time in a research lab (which is a very small paycheck to live on). So, today I went to a job fair to speak with different companies about summer internship opportunities in my field. Needless to say, I found out about the job fair last minute (1 day before!) and as I was sprucing up my resume and getting together a professional outfit... i realized that i had 1.5 week old fuzzy twists sitting ontop of my hair Shocked

::But::

It was already past my bedtime, so I figured I'd leave it till the morning and hopefully try to stretch my twists into a bun or something...which turned out to be a fail, because (duh, my hair can barely reach into a bun!) lol and a very puny one at that. Long story short, I undid my twists (which left a very defined twist-out) that i reluctantly tucked away into a beautiful updo! I definitely surprised myself with this one. I basically just did what i would have usually done with my twists, but on loose hair & it worked Smile

Super excited~

Learning to embrace fuzzy hair... Img_2010

Learning to embrace fuzzy hair... Img_2011

Learning to embrace fuzzy hair... Img_2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 15th February 2011, 7:21 pm

P.S. how do i change the title of my CSJ? I wanted to make it say "My first professional updo"...but it still says "Hello to Old friends and ready to meet my new neighbors"....???...help would be greatly appreciated Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Russet 17th February 2011, 7:54 pm

Wow, Kea! I too have been away from CN for a long time and am finally becoming more serious about my natural hair, well almost natural! I am planning to BC soon. You are such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing curl friend!
Russet
Russet

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 18th February 2011, 1:35 pm

Hey Kea, your hair is so freakin' cute...I remember stalking your thread back in the day! LOL...

After you post your comment, hit preview, scroll down and where your original title is, change it and hit send. That should do the trick!

Welcome to CSJ!
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 18th February 2011, 4:49 pm

Hi Kea! Wow, your new avi... LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!!!!! Did I mention LOVE??!!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next