CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set

+11
Madeaj
MissyCee
BlondeByDesire
BrownSkinDiva
Kea::curls
BajanPrincess82
mrsmackey
cyclingchick
sweetdrk1
Fleur
Ambitious_Tiff
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Empty Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 20th March 2011, 5:27 pm

After much hemmin' & hawin' and stalkin', I'm finally here. My name is Tiffany and I've been here on CN for a few months now. I am unequivocally and unapologetically Southern and I am back in college obtaining a BSN in Nursing. I love shopping, talking, reading, laughing and joking, and walks on the beach. LOL, j/k. I got my first perm when I was in pre-school do to an unfortunate happening with an impetigo infested wig. Rolling Eyes Y'all don't judge my mom, lol. She was only doing what she thought was best to get rid of that grossness. Plus it worked, lol. Very Happy Anywho, I got perms religiously up until college. I was out of my parents house and having to take care of my own hair. I began stretching my relaxers further apart to cut costs. Y'all know how the broke college student thing is. That's when I started primarily straightening with hot combs and flat irons. I got introduced to sew in weaves by a few of my girlfriends. That was in 2008 and I believe my last perm followed shortly after in 2009. Sew ins became my new addiction. It was easy to take care of and I could pretty much have any style I wanted without having to cut my own hair. A definite plus for me. Smile Fast forward to Las Vegas September 2010; I was at my cousin's wedding reception and her sister (my other cousin) asked me when I was coming over to the natural side. Her hair was beautiful. I laughed her off and told her I would after I took that last sew in out. I took my sew in out a few weeks later and comtemplated. I didn't know anything about being natural. I didn't even really know what my hair looked like without a perm, use of some heat tool, or some weave. All I could think was how much it hurt to try and comb through that new growth. Shocked I bought myself a perm, lol. I didn't know what else to do! Everytime I planned to put it in though, something came up. I thought about it. I've always been a person of my word. I put the perm in the closet and decided to give "the natural thing" a go. Deciding to "go natural" was just that simple for me. There was no cathartic experience, no horrible chicken head, no deep, long lasting security issues. I decided to transition b/c 1) my dad would have had a stroke if I cut off all of my hair and 2) I just could not stand the thought of being without my hair. Lol, I still need it. After much fumblin' and bumblin' with my hair, I made my first Curly Nikki post on December 2, 2010 and I haven't looked back. Everyone here has been so helpful and patient. There's definitely a ton of ladies that I have looked to for inspiration. Here are some pics of my hair over the years...

Relaxed hair in senior year of high school:
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Senior11

This was in 2005 (Man, I was stupid skinny!!):
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set 100_0110

Short & relaxed. This is also from 2005:
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Tablet10

Last major hair cut back in 2007 (I LOVE that Hello Kitty shirt; can't wear it but still got it, lol):
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Hello_10

A sew in I did myself (This one is fairly recent; from 2010 some time):
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Lovely11

My hair after I took out my last sew in Embarassed :
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Mane10

Return of my last perm cheers :
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Perm_r10
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Refund10

First "successful" Twist 'N Curl (Lol, I was length checking for Castor Oil challenge):
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Startl16

I'm enjoying my journey and I hope y'all will too. Welcome to my Curl Street Journal!! sunny

Last edited by Ambitious_Tiff on 27th March 2011, 11:25 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add Photo & Title Change)
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Empty Re: Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set

Post by Fleur 20th March 2011, 5:39 pm

Girl, that Target pic with the perm on the dashboard and return receipt had me rolling. Good for you! Get that money back, lol! I will be following your adventures on Curl Street!

I love your old pics. I don't even like to look at pics from 25-to now. I'll never be a size 4 again, but I'm cool with that. It's the weight now that's just too much for me to tolerate.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Empty Re: Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set

Post by sweetdrk1 20th March 2011, 6:21 pm

Welcome to Curl Street Tif! LOL at the return ticket! I will be following your journey!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 20th March 2011, 8:37 pm

LOL @ the perm return...good stuff. Welcome to CS! Smile
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 21st March 2011, 11:47 am

Hey Tiff! Welcome to CS, I'll be following your journey!
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 22nd March 2011, 1:57 pm

Hey neighbors! Thanx so much for the warm welcomes! That perm was in outward signal of my committment to the journey. Besides, I don't believe in wasting money. Waste not want not right?

@Fleur
Girl I was a size 0 in 2 of those pics. Looking at them now I'm just like Shocked. I'm looking to get down to about a size 9 from a 13. Shoot I'm tired of having so many parts that fold over and lump up...

Hair update!!

When washing my hair I had been noticing some extreme stretchiness and increased knotting. I figured it was time again to do my protein treatment (Aphogee 2 Step). It went much smoother this time. I used the spray bottle method to apply it. I didn't comb thru it to "distribute evenly" as that stuff gets tacky way too fast and I didn't want to be snatching plugs hair out. It was still a funky experience though, lol. That is one product that really reeks (sp?)! I make sure I don't eat before using that stuff b/c it really makes me nauseous. My hair is feeling much better though. After that I dc'ed with my usual mix. I think I actually have a recipe for it now too! I use 1 ORS Replenishing Pak, a tsp of coconut oil, half a tsp of honey, and a half tsp of evoo. I microwaved it for like 30 seconds. I pretty much let that stay on my hair all day. I had a lot of errands and everything around here closes at 6 PM on Sundays. I will be monitoring my hair closely over the next week though. I'm already wanting to stop bunning, but I am going to continue in an effort to keep in as much moisture in as possible. Anywho, I plan to cowash tonight and possibly dc again. I really need to get a trim but I don't wanna flat iron and I am too chicken to do it myself. I was thinking about going to one of the natural salons here (lol there's only 2 that I know of) but I can't stomach paying $75 or so for them to wash, blowout, and trim. I will likely stretch it in some way, flat iron it, and go to Wal-Mart and get a $15 one. I'll likely have about an inch or so taken off. I have my tissues ready.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 22nd March 2011, 2:33 pm

Girl, some of the best trims/haircuts I ever got were at Wal-Mart salons. I refuse to pay more than necessary just to get a flat-iron and/or trim. $40 is my max!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 22nd March 2011, 3:12 pm

I agree! A lot of people sleep on Wal-Mart. I got my last trim there and the woman did an excellent job. No excess cutting, she was very careful to allow me to keep as much length as possible, and she didn't panic when I cried. Idk what I was thinking even calling those other places! **searches for Vanessa's card**

Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 22nd March 2011, 7:22 pm

Hi Tiff Smile I keep seeing you around but we've never really talked i don't think. anywho...i'm looking forward to following your CSJ...especially since i never transitioned myself, it's great being able to hear your experience.

i actually had no idea the aphogee smelled until now (obviously never used it before)...

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 23rd March 2011, 8:41 am

yesssss RETURN RECEIPT #LovesIt

Welcome to curlstreet, my namesake Smile I will make sure to come over and visit you regularly.

Have a great day!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 23rd March 2011, 9:08 am

Hello and welcome ...
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 23rd March 2011, 11:50 am

Great story Tiff. You had me laughing again with the return receipt!!! You know I will be watching you closely!!! What a Face
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 23rd March 2011, 8:42 pm

Hey there neighbors!! Glad you all could make it by. Please have some refreshments and stay awhile, lol.

@Kea::Curls
I have seen you around also! I love your hair! It just looks so soft... Let me tell you, that Aphogee smell is no joke. It smells like eggs with a tinge of feet. Small price to pay for its effectiveness though. *shrug* In all honesty, I do believe it works to ones advantage in the application of it b/c the smell is hair raising. affraid The other products are much better though.

@BrownSkinDiva
Hey there!! So glad you made it over!! I see you with the stunner shades on. Cool

@BlondeByDesire
I've always wanted to tell you how much I like your color!! Its takes me right to Faith Evens before she went red. Is it true blondes have more fun?

@MissyCee
Glad you made it! If all else fails and we don't come up with another challenge, we can chat about random things here, lol.

I had a little break down last night. I am paying extra care to moisturize my hair this week to avoid any adverse effects from the protein treatment. Up until last night I was co-washing with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition condish. The last time I used it I noticed the bottle was feeling kinda low so I kinda went and bought some Yes To Cucumbers just in case I ran out of conditioner before moving... At least that's the story I am going with, lol. Well, I went on a mini spree last night. I went to Sally's to get more perm rods (I got pink this time) and I bought some Elasta QP Setting Foam (heard good things about it and its cheaper than Jane Carter's), and re upped on my Aphogee leave in, I swooped in WalGreens for the YTC and some shears to trim splits & SSK'S, and hit Bruster's for ice cream. I was so excited about trying the TYC that I opened the bottle before I got home. Specifically, I busted it open in the drive thru at Bruster's. While I was waiting at the drive up window for my ice cream I took a few long whiffs. Idk why but I always have to smell stuff. Anywho, when I looked up to see where the girl that took my payment was I could not help but laugh. She had obviously been watching me sniff the condish for a few minutes. I was too tickled! I didn't stop laughing til half way home.

Anywho, I did go ahead and use it to co wash. I couldn't wait. I love the consistency of it. Its a little thicker and not as slidey as the GFTN. The GFTN wins out on the smell factor though. I see what all the craze is about. Detangling was stupid easy! I wet my hair a little in the shower then spread it thru my hair. I am delighted that I didn't have to use very much to get the job done. (I use a substantial about of the latter) Usually I let the water do most of my detangling because I feel like I do more damage than good when using my hands right off. With the YTC I was able to slide my hands thru pretty early on with no problem. My hair is very soft today. I am considering cowashing with it again tonght and doing a rollerset to really test out the softness factor. I definitely think this one is a keeper. Chat with you ladies later! cheers
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 24th March 2011, 9:51 am

Tiff dont turn into a product junky on me!!! Lol, it sounds like you had a good time getting those hair products though Smile Have a great day!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 25th March 2011, 1:43 pm

@BrownSkinDiva
I am trying to get the PJ monkey off my back but its so hard. So many products out there with good reviews!

I cowashed with YTC again last night to make sure the love at first wash is not going to be shortlived. I still I love you YTC and am glad I made the purchase. I did realize sometime yesterday that I am not very consistent with my products. I tried to think how long it will take me to use all of the stuff I already have and I have not come up with an answer yet. I have some product that hasn't even been touched outside of the time I purchased it... Embarassed I'm wondering if the health of my hair will rely as much on the products I use as it will on the actual regimen itself scratch. Thus far I have been FAR from consistent product-wise but I am pretty regular with my co-washing, moisturizing, and oiling and getting much more regular with doing my deep conditions. When I first started my transition I put everything on my calendar (in my cell) to keep track of how often I am doing what and to make sure my protein treatments would be spaced properly. I am now thinking I will start also documenting the products used and the results for future reference. I think this will be a good way to check for holes in my reggie and/or see how my hair is or isn't responding to products over time as I "get more natural." Lol. I am also thinking about making myself a quick reference book for any products I have tried or just want to try. This should help me when I get confident enough to mix my own stuff.

OH, and one last thing...

I just want to show you guys what else I did last night...

Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set My_nat11

That is just a little plug at the nape of my neck that I wet with H2O and "shingled" with AVG. (I really can't imagine trying to do that to my entire head! I would never get anywhere! Shocked Better keep practicing my twisting...) I snipped off the dead weight with my new shears and that's what I got. I just couldn't resist anymore. My "good" hair is longer in some areas, but I chose to cut from the back since its an inconspicuous area. I just had to see what my hair really looks like. I know its kinda crazy but I am so excited! I am able to feel them when I wash my hair and the anticipation has been killing me. The transition continues. Have a good weekend y'all! Til next time!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 25th March 2011, 2:12 pm

Tiff, that is just what I did when I first transitioned. Those curls at the back of my head kept teasing me with their springiness. lol. So I cut off the permed ends and set them free. They were my little secret. Those nape coils (my sister called them something rude, lol. I didn't care) made me cut off the permed four months later. I intended to transition for a long term and just dust the permed ends off a little at a time but didn't make it.

Aren't they beautiful! Very Happy

Last edited by Madeaj on 25th March 2011, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : word)
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 27th March 2011, 11:11 pm

@Madeaj
Hey hun! Glad you made it over! Yes they are beautiful! I find myself putting my hands to them quite often during the day. With a gentle touch of course.

So today's update is not hair related all the way around. I had an epiphany as to why I never really got obsessed with my hair. I think part of the reason I never struggled with my hair is b/c I have always struggled with body image as a whole. I'm still struggling to feel beautiful. I was never tall enough, my boobs have always been too small, my butt was never "black girl" enough, my feet were always ugly, my skin was always too splotchy or uneven, and my biggest hang up of all: I have never been thin enough. Yes, despite having been a size 0 at one point, I said I have never been thin enough. I can remember times when I would cry because of something I ate then deny myself food for days on end as punishment. Somewhere things made a turnaround. I started eating and never figured out how to turn it off. Now, I am currently at the heaviest I have ever been in my life and still can't seem to just put the dang fork down. I keep asking myself a single question: "How did I get here?" I have a friggin' gut and am on my way to a double chin. I have some seriously jiggly parts and I get really annoyed anytime I put on a tee and see my belly button through it. I got fat hanging over and coming from under everything. I hate looking in the mirror and I even shower in the dark. Even on my best days, I can only think about how big I have gotten. Yesterday a guy I really like came to see me and he weighed himself using my bathroom scale. I was so embarrassed to see that he is taller than me and weighs LESS than me. Well, I am very much a doer, a proactive problem solver. I have decided to give Insanity another go. I'm tired of sucking in. I'm tired of not buying clothes b/c I don't want to acknowledge my pants or shirt size has gone up yet again. I know I can lose weight. I've done it many times over but also have managed to put it right back on plus some. I refuse to get to 200 lbs. I just won't.

I jumped right into the workouts this afternoon. I am soooooo out of shape! Baby, I was huffing and puffing like a dragon that's smoked cigarettes all of its life. I did stick it out and do the entire video though. I put on some of my favorite jams and went all in. The amount of sweat equity I got in return for my work was very satisfying.
Here's me after the workout...

Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Insani11

I look happy in that pic but I was exhausted! I know I worked out hard b/c I puked right after the first pic
Here's a few pics of my post-workout hair. This is a three day old rod set. I'm debating on whether to co-wash or not. I really just don't feel like doing anything, lol. Thankfully I sweat mostly in the back of my head. I think I will keep them for another day and just pull them into a puff.
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set After_13
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set After_14
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set After_16
Now I don't know why my hair has that weird kinda ashy look but its soft so I am not too worried. Its a bit frizzy but I need that. Anyway, I hope everyon had an excellent weekend. I have a bit of studying to do. Catch y'all later!

Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 27th March 2011, 11:49 pm

Thanks for sharing your story! You are not alone! I hate almost every pic I took this weekend, so I must do something about it! And quickly! *hugs* my friend!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 28th March 2011, 2:45 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Thanks for sharing your story! You are not alone! I hate almost every pic I took this weekend, so I must do something about it! And quickly! *hugs* my friend!

Honey, if you hadn't said anything I never would have guessed! You appear so supremely confident!!(((HUGS))) Cheers to us making a change!

Day 4 with my rod said was a fail. I did my first puff using pantyhose. Well, it was actually a thigh high. I cut it right below the lace band which I think will be repurposed into a head band or a covering for a head band. Lol, watch out world, I have a hot glue gun! But anyway the puff is a bit taut for my liking but it didn't take multiple attempts for me to get my hair up into the puff. I am going to likely go back to using satin ribbons b/c I am afraid this will be too much on my edges. I didn't even try to slick them down just to relieve tension in any way I can. As much as I love puffs, this is likely coming down today. I am ready to wash my hair again in any case. Here's my puff:
Ambitious_Tiff: Insanity Day 1 & 3 Day Old Rod Set Pantyh10
The curls look much better pulled up. I guess I slept extra wild last night and killed the ones in the back. Sleep

I am sore from yesterday's workout. So I do feel like I did something. The hours are flying bad like mad and I will be on to my next workout before I know it. I am thinking about taking a walk today on my break to help with the soreness but the weather is nasty so idk. I'm wondering if working out in the morning will help any with this. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Catch y'all later!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by JessiWantsCurls 28th March 2011, 3:24 pm

Congratulations on jumping in on the Insanity! I agree with Sweet ... I would have never guessed that you have self-image issues because you always seem really confident.

Be careful with that Insanity, hun. My first day on I got super nauseous. If you're throwing up afterwards, then you're pushing way too hard. Pacing yourself and staying hydrated should help with that.
JessiWantsCurls
JessiWantsCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th March 2011, 3:52 pm

Love your posts. And I love your hair. Sometimes transitioning hair looks a bit lifeless. But yours actually looks all the way natural. I can't even tell you have relaxed ends when you do your styles. Keep up the good work.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 28th March 2011, 6:31 pm

You know I really thought I had been over here. Well forgive me and you will soon learn I have CRS.

So hun WELCOME to CS...I've enjoyed reading your thread, you make me feel I'm right here with you.

I will tell you this....its good to focus on the things we want to change, but remember to love youself in the right now!!! However, I do feel you...I know I will never see a size 7 again...I'm just trying to hold on to a size 10!!! lol!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 28th March 2011, 8:29 pm

Congrats on getting up and being motivated to living a healthier lifestyle. I used to be a 4, but I was always sick and/or hospitalized because that was too small for my height. Focus on changing your diet, toning up and increasing your strength and endurance. The weight will eventually fall off in the process. I'm finishing P90x in another month and want to try Insanity next. (I'm scared though, LOL).

Your flexi-style is beautiful, Tiff! You are holding that transitioning process down. I don't know how you do it, but I'm loving it.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 29th March 2011, 12:04 pm

Hey Tiff!!

I really appreciate you sharing your story about body image. Just know that you are very beautiful and we must remember to keep one another lifted because that encouragement and motivation is key.

I love your curls hon and hope you have a great week!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by kekesmom29 29th March 2011, 3:49 pm

Girl, you just told the story of my life in your post! I'm sitting at my desk about to cry... Sad But WE can and will overcome this. I'm about to head to the gym now and *try* to get in some strength training.

Your hair looks amazing! I didn't even realize you were transitioning. It all just blends very well. Good luck on both of your journeys! Razz
kekesmom29
kekesmom29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next