CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Itchy Kinky Twist extensions

+2
JaliseH
LB
6 posters

Go down

Itchy Kinky Twist extensions Empty Itchy Kinky Twist extensions

Post by LB 24th February 2011, 9:28 am

Ok ladies, i know i've read about it on the board before, but i just need some MORE help. it's only been one week today for my Kinky twist extensions and i can't stand this ITCHING. I've been spraying and moisturizing with my homemade oil and water bases of jojoba and rosemary oils. The itching started on day 3. Then I realized i needed to moisturize (duh) so i started vigorously--like twice a day. My braid person told me to wait two weeks before washing. WHAT? I don't think it's possible. I also switch up my sprays with Shea Moisture Hold and Shine Moisture mist as well as a conditioner and water mixture of Shea Moisture's Restorative Conditioner (just a few thick drops and 90 percent water). What the heck will happen if I was these twists early???!!!! What causes the itching in the first place anyway? is it dryness? I didn't start moisturizing until day 3, when the itching started. Then no matter how much i moisturized my scalp and hair, the itching just never stopped!! please help. I love the twists, and wanted to keep in for 5 weeks to give my natural curls a rest and try to get a little growth, but if this is the norm, ummm, i don't think so.. No please help.
LB
LB

Back to top Go down

Itchy Kinky Twist extensions Empty Re: Itchy Kinky Twist extensions

Post by JaliseH 25th February 2011, 4:38 pm

Ive had my kinky twists for a month and the itching stopped about two weeks after I got them.i made a little spray for them. My braider told me not to wash them. She said just put sea breeze on my scalp if it itches. I thought that was crazy do I just continued to spray.
JaliseH
JaliseH

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 25th February 2011, 6:17 pm

The itching is sometimes causes by the fibers in the synthetic hair. People who use human hair don't seem to have the itches. However, the human hair is much more expensive. When I had the itchies, I quickly learned to use Sulfur 8 in the blue container. I would grease my scalp with it before I went to the braider and that would help. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by LB 25th February 2011, 8:12 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yep, I do have synthetic hair. I talked with my braider and she said to go ahead and wash. If it still itches after a couple of days after washing, then I may be having an allergic reaction. i guess that's where the hair fibers come in that you talked about @envizionj. Otherwise my scalp may just be dry. WELL, i shampooed it with Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo and I AM SO HAPPY i did. Itching stopped. After I washed, i conditioned with a condition leave-in spray diluted with water. Left that in, and hardly no itching at all. This morning, I sprayed with Shea Moisture Hold & Shine Moisture Mist and just a little bit of my jojoba and rosemary oil/water mixture. Glad I got some relief, because these babies were about to be GONE! lol. Hoping to go for two weeks before my next poo. Hope I can make it that long. Wink @jaliseH , i haven't used the sea breeze. heard about that, but just wanted to keep it natural with the products i use on my hair. If it starts getting crazyITCHY again, i may try it.
LB
LB

Back to top Go down

Post by princesspen 26th February 2011, 1:12 am

ok i do kinky twist a lot n also do human micro braids also,sometimes the itching is from an allergic reaction to the chemicals in there...i have learn to condition n leave it in a while before washing it out,if it's still itching i den take any DIPHENHYDRAMINE (benadryl) it works but hate the drowsy effect. sometimes it stops if not de braids come out n make note of the brand(never use it again)

am glad u itch free now cheers
princesspen
princesspen

Back to top Go down

Post by LB 27th February 2011, 3:05 pm

@princesspen thanks. well, i had days of relief, but the itching seems to be creeping back in. Shampooed Thursday and it's just Sunday. Not sure how long these will last for me. I don't normally deal with itching with my natural hair and so my patience is short. Plus, i looked down the other day and one of my twists was on the floor!! Rolling Eyes LOL... my husband was like, "what?!" lol Anyway I think it came out of the back, where my hair is about a 3C, kinda fine and soft. Thanks for the tip about the benadryl, but if i gotta go there to stop itching...these babies come OUT! i miss my afro anyway, btw, afro but i'll try and stick it out a lil longer...
LB
LB

Back to top Go down

Post by njfree 3rd March 2011, 1:47 pm

@ LB, i had the same problem, and after i did some research i just added about 4 drops of Peppermint oil to my spritzer bottle and that helped me a bunch! and i spray that on daily. hope it helps.
njfree
njfree

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 3rd March 2011, 2:00 pm

Tea Tree oil does wonders!!! Every other day on the scalp.
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down