Spreading the love (knowledge)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spreading the love (knowledge)

Post by NaturalDivaBaby on 23rd February 2011, 10:00 pm

Hello,
I would like to start off by saying I love it here, I love reading all of the posts and visiting the different links and websites. I'm finding a whole world of natural and I so feel like this is where i belong, I Love It!!
So, I live in Minnesota and for four years now i've been growing my locs and i love them. Thru my journey, i've been learning so much via internet about Locs, natural hair natural and natural beauty. i realize that it is truly a lifestyle. My dilemma here is that while there is a lot of diversity and tons of natruality here in Minnesota, we don't really have the tools to really experience the lifestyle. My experience so far has been me going from bss to Hair salon asking question after question about different products and tips on hair, beauty and fashion that i've seen and/or read about on the web but no one ever seems to have any straight answer. They either don't know, don't carry it or never heard of it. I really wish that there where more people and organizations here to represent this lifestyle. It's nice to see all of the conventions, shows demos etc. held in other states unveiling the newest products, trends and beauty secrets. but then us mid-westerners may never get to see or use these things unless we order online. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with that but it's also nice to be able to just go to the store and have variety . so, thru my frustration, I want to try and be that person for my area but being that this would be a first for me i was wondering if any one could any advice on where to start. I feel like this would be a great success because all to often do i here people talk about how Minnesota does not much to offer the natural community. So with that all advice is appreciated and please wish me luck!! thanx...
NaturalDivaBaby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spreading the love (knowledge)

Post by prettyporsche_ on 23rd February 2011, 11:06 pm

Good luck!
prettyporsche_

View user profile http://facebook.com/porsche.olivia

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 on 23rd February 2011, 11:21 pm

Hi NaturalDiva and welcome to the wonderful community. sunny Although Tampa, FL is far from MN, I would be a little envious of reading about natural ladies having great meet-ups in their city on all of the blogs and YT. Sooooo, I started a meet-up here in Tampa using the online meet-up at www.meetup.com. Our first official meet-up, was very disappointing, just me and my best friend showed up Suspect . Luckily, I was not discouraged enough to call it quits. Whenever I would go anywhere and saw another natural lady, I would tell her about the meet-up group, and my friend did the same thing - heck even her husband started telling women at his job about the group. lol!

Long story short, our 2nd meet-up was this past Saturday and we had 6 women show up and since then 4 more women have joined the meet-up group on-line. My lesson learned in this is: just like our individual hair journey; sometimes things start off really slow and even a little disappointing, but patience, patience, patience and you'll eventually see the growth. My suggestion would be to start talking to women you see who are natural and start a local "curly meet-up" forum.

Good luck, you'll do great and just know that there are other women in your area that are looking for natural hair support just like yourself.

Sorry for the long post flower
ajsimmons8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalDivaBaby on 24th February 2011, 9:08 pm

hi, i juss wanna say thanx for the advice. So I went to meetup.com and to my surprise there is a natural community here already. dance Hopefully this is what i need to help jump start my adventure. thank you sooo much.
NaturalDivaBaby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 on 24th February 2011, 10:43 pm

hi Natural , I'm so glad that you were able to find a natural community already set-up. I'm doing the happy dance with you. run
ajsimmons8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress on 25th February 2011, 1:35 am

ajsimmons8 wrote:Hi NaturalDiva and welcome to the wonderful community. sunny Although Tampa, FL is far from MN, I would be a little envious of reading about natural ladies having great meet-ups in their city on all of the blogs and YT. Sooooo, I started a meet-up here in Tampa using the online meet-up at www.meetup.com. Our first official meet-up, was very disappointing, just me and my best friend showed up Suspect . Luckily, I was not discouraged enough to call it quits. Whenever I would go anywhere and saw another natural lady, I would tell her about the meet-up group, and my friend did the same thing - heck even her husband started telling women at his job about the group. lol!

Long story short, our 2nd meet-up was this past Saturday and we had 6 women show up and since then 4 more women have joined the meet-up group on-line. My lesson learned in this is: just like our individual hair journey; sometimes things start off really slow and even a little disappointing, but patience, patience, patience and you'll eventually see the growth. My suggestion would be to start talking to women you see who are natural and start a local "curly meet-up" forum.

Good luck, you'll do great and just know that there are other women in your area that are looking for natural hair support just like yourself.

Sorry for the long post flower

Hello, ajsimmons8!

Congrats for sticking with you plan. I forwarded a link to your original post for the meet-up to a friend I have in your part of Tampa (usually the things I find for her are in other areas and she gives me the not in my zip code brush off). Please keep posting and I will keep forwarding the the natural(s) I know in Tampa.

FalconTress

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 on 25th February 2011, 10:15 am

Thanks falcon, the link, if you don't have to the tampa area naturally you is:
http://www.meetup.com/Tampa-Area-Naturally-You/

I really appreciate you spreading the "tampa curly love" flower
ajsimmons8

View user profile

Back to top Go down