The Anti-PJ and Lazy Naturals

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Anti-PJ and Lazy Naturals

Post by Bun_Ana on 17th February 2011, 8:59 pm

I always see a lot of product junkies on the threads, but i'm the exact opposite. I am a very lazy natural. I pretty much just stick to wash and go's and two products total: Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner.

Are there any other Lazy Naturals or Anti-PJ's out there? If so, what are your all-purpose products?
Bun_Ana

View user profile http://bunanamarie.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Anti-PJ and Lazy Naturals

Post by CarlaAR on 17th February 2011, 9:45 pm

I am in the middle. Sometimes I like to try something new or switch because my hair does change with the seasons and with length, but I tend not to go on product shopping sprees. I have some products in retirement because they no longer work for me when they did in the past. If I find something I like, I tend to stick with it.

With that said, my hair is porous and loves oils and water based products. I have to seal my ends almost daily or they will dry out. My hair does not like constant WnG so protective styles and braid/twist-out works for me the majority of the year. My hair also dislikes glycerin, mineral oils and silicones so that eliminates a lot of simple, cheap, drugstore products.

Current Staples
Coconut oil
Castor oil & JBCO
Jojoba oil
Shea butter
Aloe vera gel
Garnier Fructis Conditioner (the one w/o 'cones and mineral oils)
Aubrey Organic shampoos
A good leave-in (there are a couple that I like)

Last but not least, what's in the kitchen: coconut oil, hemp seed oil, olive oil, coconut butter, honey, agave syrup, yogurt, coconut milk, eggs, avocado, bananas, and so on...

I have other products such as KCCC and other "exotic" products, but I only use them very rarely for fun maybe once a month - if that.

I'm not big on stylers in general though I do like Kiss My Face Upper Mgt.

CarlaAR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunt_Lola on 17th February 2011, 11:29 pm

Where do you get some of this 'Anti-PJ' stuff from?
And does it really work?
I need some of that in my life. Laughing

Aunt_Lola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody on 18th February 2011, 12:04 am

Aunt_Lola wrote:Where do you get some of this 'Anti-PJ' stuff from?
And does it really work?

Lol!!!!! Smile Yeah, this thread is NOT for me. Someone mentioned Chagrin Valley earlier and I've just finished going through their website and now have about 8 products to add to my 'want' list! Embarassed
Jo Somebody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel on 18th February 2011, 12:07 am

yeah am not a pj at all. i will think about using a certain new product but it will take me 6 months to even purchase it.
dajewel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 on 18th February 2011, 12:11 am

I'm also an anti-pj. My staple products are my shea butter/coconut oil mixture, olive oil, castor oil, herbal essences conditioners, yes to... conditioners, ecostyler gel, and kimmaytube's leave-in mixture. There are other products that I'll use from time to time, but most of them have been given to me by other naturals. I will try a new conditioner or styling product every once in a while, but not too often.
BajanPrincess82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR on 18th February 2011, 12:22 am

dajewel wrote:yeah am not a pj at all. i will think about using a certain new product but it will take me 6 months to even purchase it.

It took me a few years before I even purchased KCCC. I brought an 8oz container about 6 months ago and I still have half left though I like it. I guess I have to use it before it expires! I do have a desire to try Shea Moisture leave-in but the Targets in my area doesn't carry it. Hopefully when they come to Walgreens in April, the ones in my area will have it. Other than that, I'm fine with what I have...
CarlaAR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bun_Ana on 18th February 2011, 12:32 am

And does it really work?

lol!

I pretty much stick to either the Herbal Essences Totally Twisted shampoo and conditioner or the Giovanni direct leave in and some jojoba oil. It's probable a to try new products every once and a while, though. Just to see whats out there. But I never do for some reason, lol.
Bun_Ana

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyhairchic on 18th February 2011, 1:13 am

@ Bun_Ana: I wouldn't say I'm a lazy natural, but I AM anti-PJ. I keep it super simple and I'm not one to overload my hair with product or switch products after 1-2 uses. That phased out before my first year being natural. Like you, I use ONE shampoo/deep conditioner/leave-in/oil/styler (maybe) and that's it. I don't rock the boat with my regi.

Last edited by Funkyhairchic on 18th February 2011, 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
funkyhairchic

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR on 18th February 2011, 1:14 am

Jo Somebody wrote:
And does it really work?

Lol!!!!! Smile Yeah, this thread is NOT for me. Someone mentioned Chagrin Valley earlier and I've just finished going through their website and now have about 8 products to add to my 'want' list! Embarassed

I just Googled their website and the products looks pretty good. No frills and very basic, natural products. I may check it out again once I'm running low on what I have or done with my 30-day hair product spending freeze.
CarlaAR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TiffNotANY on 18th February 2011, 2:47 am

I just keep it simple with my Aussie Moist conditioner, honey, jbco, coconut oil, olive oil & shea butter.... and my aloe vera gel. It's been working thus far Very Happy .
TiffNotANY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Moore on 18th February 2011, 8:01 am

Ha! I thought I was lazy!!! I am definitely anti-PJ. I am like BajanPrincess82, I whip shea butter and coconut oil. I do hot olive oil treatments. If I can eat it, it's probably going on the hair and body also!!! I also don't like the weight of a lot of stuff on my hair. The routine changes a bit with the length of my hair. I am lazy because I'd cut it short because WnG is so easy. It's hard when it's longer and takes almost a full day to dry.

I think about the movie "Good Hair". Naturals too spend a lot of money on that magic elixir that will tame 3C's, 4A's and BB's into submission! I am particularly struck by branding: Mixed Chicks specifically. Because let's face it, a certain image is conjured and one may subconsciously decide to buy the product on a certain premise... I think this is why a lot of naturals complain about certain products not delivering.
Ms. Moore

View user profile http://www.whatmoore.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunt_Lola on 18th February 2011, 10:07 am

Bun_Ana wrote:
And does it really work?

lol!

I pretty much stick to either the Herbal Essences Totally Twisted shampoo and conditioner or the Giovanni direct leave in and some jojoba oil. It's probable a to try new products every once and a while, though. Just to see whats out there. But I never do for some reason, lol.

Thanks for listing what products you use.
Your hair is really pretty.

What's sad is I was thinking about going to get the products you listed - then realized I probably have them all in my bathroom(or hallway) closet. Embarassed

Aunt_Lola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR on 18th February 2011, 11:06 am

Ms. Moore wrote:Ha! I thought I was lazy!!! I am definitely anti-PJ. I am like BajanPrincess82, I whip shea butter and coconut oil. I do hot olive oil treatments. If I can eat it, it's probably going on the hair and body also!!! I also don't like the weight of a lot of stuff on my hair. The routine changes a bit with the length of my hair. I am lazy because I'd cut it short because WnG is so easy. It's hard when it's longer and takes almost a full day to dry.

I think about the movie "Good Hair". Naturals too spend a lot of money on that magic elixir that will tame 3C's, 4A's and BB's into submission! I am particularly struck by branding: Mixed Chicks specifically. Because let's face it, a certain image is conjured and one may subconsciously decide to buy the product on a certain premise... I think this is why a lot of naturals complain about certain products not delivering.

I tend to think of the Miss Jessie's slogan "turn your kinks into curls" (which pisses me the hell off) when I think of trying to turn your hair into something that its not. Natural hair is still very new to most of us so automatic self-acceptance wont always be the case.
CarlaAR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunt_Lola on 18th February 2011, 11:28 am

CarlaAR wrote:
Ms. Moore wrote:Ha! I thought I was lazy!!! I am definitely anti-PJ. I am like BajanPrincess82, I whip shea butter and coconut oil. I do hot olive oil treatments. If I can eat it, it's probably going on the hair and body also!!! I also don't like the weight of a lot of stuff on my hair. The routine changes a bit with the length of my hair. I am lazy because I'd cut it short because WnG is so easy. It's hard when it's longer and takes almost a full day to dry.

I tend to think of the Miss Jessie's slogan "turn your kinks into curls" (which pisses me the hell off) when I think of trying to turn your hair into something that its not. Natural hair is still very new to most of us so automatic self-acceptance wont always be the case.

Yeah, I'm not cool with that slogan either. But if her ish didn't cost a mortgage payment, I would have overlooked it and tried some curly pudding. Embarassed

Just to clarify though: not all PJs are trying to find something to turn their hair into something else.
I have a serious list of requirments that I want for my hair and so far, nothing is 100% which is why I keep purchasing to try things out.

My list of what I want for my hair:

1)Moisturized for more than 5 minutes
2)Preferrably more natural, but I would still use grease if it worked for me
3)Easy to find on the ground
4)Smells nice

Don'ts:
1)No hard, crunchy hair
2)No gummy hair or buildup after 1-2 uses(don't like to clarify every 5 minutes)
3)If it smells bad I won't use it. My hair looking flyy and feeling like soft, moisturized clouds will not make up for the sledgehammer upside the head migraines I'll be having from the scent. Evil or Very Mad
4)No internet availability only

I don't even care about price tooooo much. I'll spend $30 on a tiny tube of something if it works.
I also don't care about style and whether or not my curls "pop" because my hair is fine and doesn't hold much of any style(and it hates gel and styling products).

So far the closest I've come is Shea Moisture products, but the leave-in can be kinda coating on my hair and pure shea butter + coconut oil doesn't moisturize my situation as well as the leave-in.

Yes.
I'm a PJ and can discuss products all day. Razz

Aunt_Lola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird on 18th February 2011, 12:30 pm

I am kind of in the middle.. more so on the Not PJ side. I don't run out and buy everything that is being mention as the next best thing, but i do buy what i think is the basics.

I have 2 condtioners ( Aussie Moist and Suave)
1 Shampoo ( Nyle)
Bought Shea butter last year still have 1/2. Couple oils for DC and my Indian Powders, Henna

Gels..Eco Styler, Aloe Vera and Long Aid (small sizes) will last for another 6-8mths

Leave In..Carols Daughter, Aveda

Moisturizers...Vegetable Glycerine, Coconut oil

That's it !!!
Ladybird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Moore on 18th February 2011, 1:26 pm

Aunt Lola: If I'd known you'd like to get your hands on some pudding I could have hooked you up with some before I moved from the U.S.! I had a sample of it. It felt like I had a hard set, the smell was strange (but folks seem to like it) and I had a weird reaction (quite possibly from the mineral oil).

Here are the ingredients to the pudding:

Ingredients: water, parafinium liquidum, glycerin, triethanolamine, fragrance, carbomer, PEG-12 dimethicone, dipropylene glycol, silk amino acids, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, avocado oil, shea butter, sweet almond oil, jojoba seed oil, macademia seed oil, oleth05, ethylhexyl methoxycinnanate, disodium EDTA, DMDM hydantion, ext. violet 2

I may get around to playing with this: water, glycerin, EO (of my choice), silk protein, aloe vera gel, avocado oil, shea butter, sweet almond, jojoba and macadamia seed oil. For color: alkanet root powder

Ms. Moore

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunt_Lola on 18th February 2011, 1:51 pm

Ms. Moore wrote:Aunt Lola: If I'd known you'd like to get your hands on some pudding I could have hooked you up with some before I moved from the U.S.! I had a sample of it. It felt like I had a hard set, the smell was strange (but folks seem to like it) and I had a weird reaction (quite possibly from the mineral oil).

Here are the ingredients to the pudding:

Ingredients: water, parafinium liquidum, glycerin, triethanolamine, fragrance, carbomer, PEG-12 dimethicone, dipropylene glycol, silk amino acids, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, avocado oil, shea butter, sweet almond oil, jojoba seed oil, macademia seed oil, oleth05, ethylhexyl methoxycinnanate, disodium EDTA, DMDM hydantion, ext. violet 2

I may get around to playing with this: water, glycerin, EO (of my choice), silk protein, aloe vera gel, avocado oil, shea butter, sweet almond, jojoba and macadamia seed oil. For color: alkanet root powder

Aw, that is so sweet of you. Even though I'm late, I do appreciate that you would have offered to hook me up. I love you

That sounds like a good mix and I hope it works for you.

Aunt_Lola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Moore on 18th February 2011, 2:02 pm

I think that is generally my gripe with a lot of natural branded products as of late--cause in '97 they didn't exist. Then when there was, there was an abundance it seemed to promise to transform kinky hair--selling the dream. I should have prefaced my above statement with "Some naturals, too..." I realize folks aren't junkies because they are chasing the dream per se but are sincerely looking for something that works for them which I think ultimately comes down to moisture and your preference. I have to think about my skin also when it comes to products--given I am sensitive to a lot of things.

We spend a pretty penny on our hair, no matter the state: relaxed, transitioning, natural! I have to order shea and cocoa butter from the UK cause I cannot find them here. Let's see...so that's euro's to pounds, VAT tax and shipping, which means I am buying this stuff in bulk!
Ms. Moore

Back to top Go down

Post by Bun_Ana on 18th February 2011, 8:38 pm

YES! Lol. I never want to let my hair just grow out anymore. I've gone past bsl before (Almost apl while curly) but it just seemed like too much to deal with sometimes so I just keep cutting it. I'm gonna try to let it grow out this year, though. We'll see how that goes. Rolling Eyes
Bun_Ana

Back to top Go down

Post by bpjedi on 18th February 2011, 9:44 pm

My regimen is somewhere in the middle:
-few times a week: spritz with water+glycerine; a bit of hair butter on damp hair (after a shower); Jamaican black castor oil to scalp (before bed)
-1x weekly: Chagrin Valley Soap shampoo (been using them for years; they last a long time if not kept in the shower and allowed to dry after use); TJ's Tea Tree Conditioner, 2-strand twists done w/hair butter
-monthly: henna followed by Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment from Jessicurl
-4/5 times a year: make more hair butter; procure ingredients for it.

I'm trying to grow out my hair, so my regimen is more about maintaining healthy hair than anything else. I know that making stuff and sourcing products online requires some planning, but I'm used to it at this point.

Last edited by bpjedi on 18th February 2011, 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
bpjedi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu on 18th February 2011, 9:49 pm

I most definitely belong to the anti-pj/lazy natural club!!! Products that I use: Suave Clarifying Shampoo, VO5 Conditioner, Coconut Oil, Olive Lustrasilk Cholesterol, Jane Carter's leave in, Ecostyler Gel. That's all folks. Simple, cost friendly, effective.
naturallyu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amyleia on 19th February 2011, 12:24 am

I dont know if this makes sense but I am a "forced" anti-PJ meaning that I cant find half of the stuff you guys use because i dont think they are available where I live so I just stick to the stuff i can find which is:
Suave Naturals tropical coconut conditioner or white rain green apple conditioner
VO5 Moisture Milks Shampoo
Cantu Shea butter leave in condish(which I ran out of and cant find anywhere)
Whipped shea butter mix (took me months to find shea butter)
Grapeseed oil
Coconut oil.

Soo as you can see my regime is pretty limited and simple
amyleia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by baberry on 19th February 2011, 4:57 pm

I like to keep it simple too. I use to chase the curl and now I just strive for healthy hair. Honestly, my bathroom cabinets are home to many of products that claimed to do one thing and did just the opposite. I think once you find what works for you stick with it. I've learned that I only use butters in the winter and light oils in the summer, other than that my regiment never changes. My regiment is super easy,

Products:
Renpure Organics in the RED BOTTLE
H.E. Hello Hydration to cowash
aloe vera gel
soy oil infused with herbs(handmade)
homemade hair butter
EO Essential clarifying shampoo
coconut oil
castor oil

Once a month I will henna and I deep condition after each biweekly shampoo. That's it!! As a former PJ, I feel so much better that I'm getting better results with all natural, easily attained items.
baberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top