The Conversation by Hill Harper

Go down

The Conversation by Hill Harper

Post by traveljunkie08 on 8th December 2009, 12:50 am

Is anyone else currently reading The Conversation by Hill Harper? I just started reading it today, and it seems like a good book that could spark quite a discussion.
traveljunkie08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Conversation by Hill Harper

Post by StacyB on 8th December 2009, 7:25 pm

I haven't read it but its on my to read list. His other books are WONDERFUL!!!
StacyB

View user profile http://naturalbloggingsofayoungsocialworker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 on 15th December 2009, 3:17 am

I've read this book and it is AWESOME!!!! I finished it up probably about a month ago! I looooved it and constantly recommend it to all my friends! I was actually kind of sad to finish it up because whenever I would start a new chapter, it had me anxious and made me think about a lot of things in a different light as far as everyday struggles in a relationship! Love Hill Harper too!
natural83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 on 15th December 2009, 2:36 pm

@natural83: Yeah, every time I finish a chapter, I close the book and just sit and think for a while. I was supposed to pass the book on to my sister when I'm done, but she's gonna have to get her own copy. This is one of those books I actually need to keep for my "library" so I can refer back to it or re-read it at some point.

I never really thought much about Hill Harper before. I didn't have a negative view of him, just never really paid him much attention. But I swear I've developed a crush on him since starting this book.
traveljunkie08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 on 16th December 2009, 2:32 am

@traveljunkie08 Yes, I said the same thing...this will be a book to refer back to when ya need it! LOL! I loooved how he was having the conversations with his friends to get their point of view on relationship issues! That made it so real and really gave you clear insight on how men (and women) really think! Next time I have some friends over, I may do one of those conversation parties that he talks about towards the end! You'll see what Im talking about once you finish it!

I knew of Hill Harper, but just like you...I wasn't on him like that! But ever since I got deep into his book, giiiirrrrllll, Im kinda diggin him! LOL! And I usually go for the darker brothas, but I wouldn't mind me some Hill Harper! LOL!

By the way...love your new avatar! Very cute!
natural83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caramelnaps25 on 16th December 2009, 3:51 pm

Thanks for the info. I am going to pick it up. A friend of mine actually got to sit in on a discussion with him on the book. She said it was awesome as well.

Thanks for keeping us informed ladies:)

caramelnaps25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 on 16th December 2009, 9:30 pm

@natural83: Thanks!!! My 4 year old nephew took that pic for me. Smile

I know what you mean about not really being into light-skinned guys. I usually go for darker guys too and they usually aren't...how should I say...petite. LOL But Mr. Harper done changed all of that. He even got me tuning in to CSI New York re-runs. Embarassed

@caramelnaps25: I think you're going to enjoy the book. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!
traveljunkie08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd on 31st January 2010, 12:59 pm

ha ha ha jocking on Hill Wink

I'm almost done reading this book and I am so loving it! He has taken this discussion to a totally new level. I love how Hill is so in love with us; black women, the black union, the black community...everything black! I love how he has taken ownership of us. Normally, you hear sisters say, "our men," but it lit my heart up the first time I read him say, "our black women." Man! Usually brothers don't say things like that.

He has dug deep to put this book together. And I agree with TravelJunkie08 this is a book for my own personal library. Usually I check books out from the library, but I will be purchasing this one.
SisterBoyd

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by FloridaSunshine on 28th February 2010, 5:22 pm

This is a fantastic book. I've read it twice already! I found the content to be absolutely fascinating about how people allow opportunities to pass due to their insecurities and perceptions (which may originate from their insecurities) of other people.

@traveljunkie: I actually marked up the margins in the book like I was studying for a college test! It's an enlightening read. It's stuff I think we inherently know, but to be a "fly on the wall" for the conversations great. Boy, do I wish I could have participated!

FloridaSunshine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by * on 2nd March 2010, 8:51 pm

I can't lie, I have always had a crush on Hill Harper. It's something about an intelligent black man. Whew! rabbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleX on 21st May 2010, 12:01 am

I am just got this book today...I can't wait to read it!
ElleX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKendrala on 21st May 2010, 2:02 am

i started reading it but im also in the middle of reading resurrecting midnight by eric jerome dickey. . .(i swear it has never taken this long for me to read one of his books) but my sister read it and she raves about it. . .she also said reading it made her realize she isnt adult enough to be in a real relationship, so im curious to see why she said that...
MsKendrala

View user profile http://twitter.com/MsKendrala

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd on 21st May 2010, 2:48 pm

Ms. Kendra, which book made your sister fell like that? The Conversation? If it is, I can see how that book made her feel that way. I does put the focus and owness on yourself and put that point finger down or turned around.

Resurrecting Midnight is the bizness!
SisterBoyd

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKendrala on 23rd May 2010, 4:38 pm

@SisterBoyd. . .yea my sister said that about The Conversation. . .when she said it all i could say was o wow. . .she keeps telling me i need to read it but im still stuck on Resurrecting Midnight (which she also read). She said it picks up near the end but i just cant get there. . .
MsKendrala

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd on 23rd May 2010, 6:41 pm

Have you read the entire Gideon series? If not, then I can understand why it seems slow.

I recommend The Conversation to black person. I would to see the comments from a couple that read it. I posted a few quotes from the book on my Facebook page and it sparked a great deal of conversation.
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKendrala on 23rd May 2010, 7:10 pm

yea ive read all of them all the way back to thieves paradise. . .i read those with no issue but there is something about this one that i just cant get into...

I watched a debate about the blk family (the lack there of) and blk relationships on nightline or 20/20 a few weeks ago and Hill Harper was on the panel along with Steve Harvey, Sherri Sheppard, and Jaque' Reid. The show made me wanna read the book even more (i've already read Steves book) because I wanted to see a different perspective on why blk folks aren't getting together and staying together like they use to...needless to say i still haven't read the book...but i will because i have to take it back to the library eventually...
MsKendrala

Back to top Go down

Post by gemofacurlgirl on 8th July 2010, 1:16 am

I really want to read this book and it's so funny to come across this post since Hill Harper is so fresh in my mind I just watched him today in the movie "Love,Sex & Eating the Bones " it was a good film.I also remember an interview where he talks about coming from intellectual parents I think his mom and dad are both doctors and he went to college with Barack Obama so you know that man is intellegent and he is fine !!!!
gemofacurlgirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalHairYes2009 on 23rd July 2010, 2:27 pm

I am glad you all placed this book up here. I started to read it, got distracted but I will be pulling it out TODAY! Thanks ladies and I will be back with a review!

NaturalHairYes2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph on 12th October 2010, 4:28 pm

I'm considering buying a Kindle or Nook...

I'm getting my book list together.

Hill Harper is a great actor on CSI: NY- can't wait to read his book!
Umph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down