Sealing for Dummies

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sealing for Dummies

Post by tashacu02 on 17th February 2011, 4:40 pm

Soooooo, I never heard of sealing before I began transitioning and I still don't get it. I feel so stupid for even asking these questions, but I want to know. First, what does sealing even do for your hair? I have read that you can do it with most oils, EVOO, coconut oil, etc., but where do you put it, just on the ends or the entire hair? Also, is it best to do this on soaking wet hair or damp hair? Lastly, would this even benefit me right now since I am transitioning or only important once I'm fully natural? Please bear with me on this one ladies, I'm still new Embarassed . Thanks!
avatar
tashacu02

Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-01-04
Age : 33
Location : Greenville, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 17th February 2011, 5:01 pm

Hey girlie! That's not a stupid question at all! I had some of those same ones in the beginning. Sealing helps lock in moisture. Whether to seal the length of the hair or just the ends is going to be a matter of personal prefernce. You hair can lose moisture thoughout the shaft so I seal the length of my hair. However, most take special care of the ends b/c they are the oldest part. Soaking wet or dry is also a matter of personal preference. I usually do it only when my hair is damp with a leave in. I don't really do anything product wise to my hair when its soaking wet because it seems as if it would be messy and I can make enough mess without extra water. I am also transitioning. I do notice a difference in my hair so I think it benefits us as well! Keep those questions coming!!
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by laleepop14 on 17th February 2011, 5:11 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:Hey girlie! That's not a stupid question at all! I had some of those same ones in the beginning. Sealing helps lock in moisture. Whether to seal the length of the hair or just the ends is going to be a matter of personal prefernce. You hair can lose moisture thoughout the shaft so I seal the length of my hair. However, most take special care of the ends b/c they are the oldest part. Soaking wet or dry is also a matter of personal preference. I usually do it only when my hair is damp with a leave in. I don't really do anything product wise to my hair when its soaking wet because it seems as if it would be messy and I can make enough mess without extra water. I am also transitioning. I do notice a difference in my hair so I think it benefits us as well! Keep those questions coming!!

Yes exactly what she said!!! I only seal my ends but need to get better at sealing my hair period!!! Good advice Tiff!!!
avatar
laleepop14

Posts : 415
Join date : 2009-11-19
Age : 33
Location : New Jersey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Ms.Fenty on 17th February 2011, 5:23 pm

Girl don't feel bad, A LOT of us had no idea what it was when we started out. lol

First you use a water based moisturizer on your hair, it doesn't have to be watery, just the first ingredient has to be water. You can also just use plain water, so damp or soaking wet hair is fine either way. The important part is that our hair get MOISTure. Now, after you moisturize your hair you use an oil or butter to seal the moisture into your hair. So the purpose of sealing is to keep the moisture into your hair, it forms a barrier so the moisture doesn't escape (that's my understanding anyway).

Some people only seal the ends of their hair, however, considering the fact that you are transitioning, you have to take care of your line of demarcation (the place where the relaxed and natural hair meet, not sure if you're familiar with the terminology yet).

In my experience and personal opinion it is important to seal the moisture into pretty much the entire length of your hair. But you can avoid getting the oil too close to your scalp if you like, this is where experimenting comes in to play. Try different moisturizers, oils, butters and techniques to figure out what works best for YOUR hair.

And finally, moisturizing and sealing hair is a technique that is used for relaxed, transitioning and natural hair. I've tried just oil or just moisturizer but my hair would feel dry shortly after. But again, that was my experience, so do some experimenting and see what works for you. HTH

avatar
Ms.Fenty

Posts : 168
Join date : 2010-02-15
Age : 29
Location : CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by tashacu02 on 17th February 2011, 5:38 pm

Y'all are helping me soooo much, thank you!

But the answers have brought about once more question. I just started using my version of kimmaytube leave-in-conditioner and I love it, it makes both my relaxed and natural hair very soft. Does this count as a sealant since it does have castor oil and EVOO in it or do I need to add an oil only sealant before or after this?
avatar
tashacu02

Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-01-04
Age : 33
Location : Greenville, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 17th February 2011, 5:53 pm

I think of it as a 2-in-1 exactly for that reason. The molecules from the castor oil are not big enough to get inside your hair so it can only serve as a barrier to keep moisture in or out. However aloe vera juice contains water. And Water = moisture. If you feel the need to seal, I would use something light...
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by tashacu02 on 17th February 2011, 5:56 pm

Ambitious_Tiff can I keep you in my back pocket for when I'm in need of emergency hair information????? LOL

You are a lifesaver Very Happy
avatar
tashacu02

Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-01-04
Age : 33
Location : Greenville, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 17th February 2011, 6:22 pm

Lol, you're so silly. I'm glad to help. I know I tend to overthink so I have probed a lot of brains here and done a lot of research on the products I am using or want to use. Here's the link to another really good site. She breaks it down and oftten provides diagrams. I am a visual learner so this has me helped a lot. Her articles also have a base in science so I find it to be quite trustworthy info, but like anything I take it with a grain of salt. Go to thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com. How long do you plan to transition?
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by creolebeauty1 on 17th February 2011, 7:18 pm

Don't feel bad no question is a stupid question as i know i didn't now what sealing was until i heard research on it , i'll try to explain it from my understanding hope its clear
Moisture our hair is said to need moisture because it's curly , kinky the sebum "natural hair oil"do not travel to the ends so we need to add moisture to help it stay moisturize and ultimately retain more length
you can moisturize and seal different ways it depends on your preference and hair need but i would always start with damp or wet hair since water equal moisture you will need something on your head to seal in before applying an oil or butter on wash days i usually apply my leave in on damp to wet hair than i apply some oil or shea butter mix to my entire hair focusing a bit more on the ends and since i'm also transitioning i also focus on the demarcation line since that will soon be my ends
after 3 or 4 days my hair usually seems like it needs to be moisturize all over again so i spritz it with a mixture of leave in , oils and pure water than i apply an oil or shea butter mix to my ends especially and head and Voila hope that made sense Smile
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by tashacu02 on 17th February 2011, 9:28 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:Lol, you're so silly. I'm glad to help. I know I tend to overthink so I have probed a lot of brains here and done a lot of research on the products I am using or want to use. Here's the link to another really good site. She breaks it down and oftten provides diagrams. I am a visual learner so this has me helped a lot. Her articles also have a base in science so I find it to be quite trustworthy info, but like anything I take it with a grain of salt. Go to thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com. How long do you plan to transition?

I will be visiting that website because I need all the help I can get. Right now, I plan to transition for at least a year (my hubby loves long hair) but I'm kind of playing it by ear. My last relaxer was in September, I can't remember the exact date because I didn't know if was going to be my last one...haha. But, my hair was breaking off and telling me that I needed to do something different and take better care of her, so here I am Smile. I would love to make it to a year, but some days detangling these relaxed ends gets the best of me and I just want to cut it all off now!!!! How long do you plan to transition?
avatar
tashacu02

Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-01-04
Age : 33
Location : Greenville, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 17th February 2011, 10:47 pm

Giiiiiirrl. I am still kind of deciding. I am either going to chop or mini chop upon my admission to Upper Division nursing school (2012) or chop the day before my graduation from nursing school (2014). Basically I plan to be on serious long term transistioner. Somewhere in the 2 to 4 year range. The only thing I am sure of is that I want to be completely natural when I graduate. I don't remember when my last relaxer was either, lol. I was already stretching them a lot then one day I decided to just stop. My last perm was in summer 2009 (I think. Don't quote me.) sometime but I still have some relaxed ends and plenty heat damage from hot combing and flat ironing... Embarassed On the really bad days I just wanna cut it off too but idk, I just can't. I cry when I get trims (don't judge me, lol) so an actual haircut woul likely have me in absolute hysterics...
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by SweetieOne on 18th February 2011, 3:04 am

@tashacu02 i am so happy you asked these questions been trying to figure out what is the reason to seal for the pass month lol

thanks for helping both of us ladies
Very Happy
avatar
SweetieOne

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-11-14
Age : 29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by tashacu02 on 18th February 2011, 10:33 am

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:Giiiiiirrl. I am still kind of deciding. I am either going to chop or mini chop upon my admission to Upper Division nursing school (2012) or chop the day before my graduation from nursing school (2014). Basically I plan to be on serious long term transistioner. Somewhere in the 2 to 4 year range. The only thing I am sure of is that I want to be completely natural when I graduate. I don't remember when my last relaxer was either, lol. I was already stretching them a lot then one day I decided to just stop. My last perm was in summer 2009 (I think. Don't quote me.) sometime but I still have some relaxed ends and plenty heat damage from hot combing and flat ironing... Embarassed On the really bad days I just wanna cut it off too but idk, I just can't. I cry when I get trims (don't judge me, lol) so an actual haircut woul likely have me in absolute hysterics...

I won't judge you on crying...lol! I don't care about cutting my hair, but it seems that everyone else does (i.e. hubby, sister, mother, etc.). My hair grows so fast that I know it will grow back and it's only hair. I do love my long hair, but I'm thinking about cutting early because this may be the only time in my life that I do have short hair and I feel like I should at least experiment with it. And hey if it doesn't work out as planned, I can always weave it up! LOL.
avatar
tashacu02

Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-01-04
Age : 33
Location : Greenville, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by tashacu02 on 18th February 2011, 10:35 am

SweetieOne wrote:@tashacu02 i am so happy you asked these questions been trying to figure out what is the reason to seal for the pass month lol

thanks for helping both of us ladies
Very Happy

No problem Girlie Smile
avatar
tashacu02

Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-01-04
Age : 33
Location : Greenville, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 18th February 2011, 1:05 pm

SweetieOne wrote:@tashacu02 i am so happy you asked these questions been trying to figure out what is the reason to seal for the pass month lol

thanks for helping both of us ladies
Very Happy

You look just like someone I know!! You're welcome!!

tashacu02 wrote:I won't judge you on crying...lol! I don't care about cutting my hair, but it seems that everyone else does (i.e. hubby, sister, mother, etc.). My hair grows so fast that I know it will grow back and it's only hair. I do love my long hair, but I'm thinking about cutting early because this may be the only time in my life that I do have short hair and I feel like I should at least experiment with it. And hey if it doesn't work out as planned, I can always weave it up! LOL.

LOL! Girl I used to love me some sew ins! Its been a while though. I am about to start looking for some wigs so I can keep my hair in a ps. Well, do what you feel is best regarding your transition/bc. Its a pretty big decision and with one there's definitely no going back, lol. My hair grows at about the average rate so I'm in rush to do anything drastic.
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Atasteofcaramel on 18th February 2011, 1:10 pm

So you can seal you hair with a leave in only or you have to use an oil or butter based mouisterizer as well? and do you apply it directly to the scalp or just massage it in with your hands.?

ps these are all so helpful thank you so much!!!!
avatar
Atasteofcaramel

Posts : 55
Join date : 2011-02-15
Age : 33
Location : washington DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Atasteofcaramel on 18th February 2011, 1:21 pm

What is kimmaytube leave-in-conditioner ? is it home made
avatar
Atasteofcaramel

Posts : 55
Join date : 2011-02-15
Age : 33
Location : washington DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 18th February 2011, 1:43 pm

Atasteofcaramel wrote:So you can seal you hair with a leave in only or you have to use an oil or butter based mouisterizer as well? and do you apply it directly to the scalp or just massage it in with your hands.?ps these are all so helpful thank you so much!!!!

I use oils (butters are good too) to seal. You need to use something that won't dry quickly and that cannot readily enter your hair. That's why its best to use butters or oils. I do encourage you to experiment to see what works best for your hair though. We're all working with something different and in different conditions. I started out sealing with EVOO but I am currently in coconut love, lol. I am not sure what you mean by that (the bold section). Um, when I am sealing, I section off the hair and dip my fingertip in the oil I am going to use (usually coconut) and rub it between my hands to spread it. Then I apply it to my hair. I use a seperate oil on my scalp. Since its winter and the air is so dryng, I have been using Castor oil with fabulous results.

Yeah, the Kimmaytube leave in is a homemade remedy for dryness. I have not tried it yet (I plan to very soon) but it has gotten stellar reviews. Here a link to the Kimmaytube leave in: http://www.youtube.com/user/kimmaytube#p/search/17/qXi2k4cFFhI

The trick to it is that it is Ph balanced. She does say you can use the leave in of your choice though. She is a great resource as well. Her videos are very educational and her progress from the beginning of her journey is amazing!


Last edited by Ambitious_Tiff on 18th February 2011, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Atasteofcaramel on 18th February 2011, 1:49 pm

@Ambitious_Tiff
I was asking if you needed to apply the oil to you scalp to seal or if you would just apply it to your hair to seal. In your responce you answered my questions thanks! your hair is fantablous btw
avatar
Atasteofcaramel

Posts : 55
Join date : 2011-02-15
Age : 33
Location : washington DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Atasteofcaramel on 18th February 2011, 2:01 pm

where can I get the avg from?
avatar
Atasteofcaramel

Posts : 55
Join date : 2011-02-15
Age : 33
Location : washington DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 18th February 2011, 2:03 pm

THANK YOU pretty girl!! I really appreciate that. No problem. I really love to help. We're all in this thing together you know? Lol, I'm sorry I had a slow moment. I oil my scalp to prevent dryness. And "promote growth", lol. What are you oiling your scalp with (if at all). Lol, Y'all forgive my nosiness... I have not found any aloe vera gel but I have seen the juice in Wal-Mart and my local health food store. Same brand and everything. I will let you know when I run across the gel.
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Atasteofcaramel on 18th February 2011, 2:09 pm

I dont oil my scalp but i need to start. I used to use evoo when I was relaxed but i am think about using castor oil and joingin the challange. people have said it have helped stregthned their hair as well as help it grow!
avatar
Atasteofcaramel

Posts : 55
Join date : 2011-02-15
Age : 33
Location : washington DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Atasteofcaramel on 18th February 2011, 2:15 pm

Have any of you ever tried bagging?
avatar
Atasteofcaramel

Posts : 55
Join date : 2011-02-15
Age : 33
Location : washington DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 18th February 2011, 2:18 pm

I am currently in the Castor Oil Challenge. It think pretty much everyone in it has seen either increased length or thickness or both. I can't say whether it has solely been the Castor Oil or not but I like believing it is, lol. Very Happy You definitely should join us. Its a great group of ladies and we're all at different stages. We talk about a lot of random stuff too, lol. I am gonna start looking for something a little lighter for my scalp when it warms up. Castor oil is so thick and heavy. No joke though, my roots are so soft... I love how my hair feels the day after I use it. Yes I have baggied before. It is another good method for fighting SSK's. I always make sure I please on a towel when baggying of prepooing overnight. Do you like it?
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Atasteofcaramel on 18th February 2011, 2:24 pm

i think i migt try it till may and then go to something lighter as well, may hair is dry and is in need of something to drink so why not!
avatar
Atasteofcaramel

Posts : 55
Join date : 2011-02-15
Age : 33
Location : washington DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing for Dummies

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum