Shampoo Bars

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shampoo Bars

Post by Natural505 on 17th February 2011, 10:07 am

i've decided to stop using liquid shampoo and instead stick w/shampoo bars. the only issue is that i don't know where to get it in the stores vs. purchasing online. i have been searching lush but they use sls , although they claim to use the freshest ingredients. does anyone know of a good shampoo bar that i can just go to the store and buy? thanks. What a Face Neutral

Natural505

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Shampoo Bars

Post by letha on 17th February 2011, 10:49 am

This is the site I used just that when I used the soaps for the 1st time.. It didn't go too well for me but I won't give up and I ordered more than 1 sample bar so I have to give it another try.. There are other ladies on the board who ordered from them and you can get sample bars also which is a plus..

http://www.chagrinvalleysoap.com/
letha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen on 17th February 2011, 12:22 pm

Well I have every freaking Chagrin Valley Soap there is, lol. I do YT video reviews on each of them one by one, it takes me forever.

I have gotten a few from Whole Foods, in the regular Soap Isle, and they are just ok. I have also purchased some homemade ones from Etsy.com. I love the Beer ones and the Marshmallow Root ones, still reviewing on YT.

Then I tried Oyin Handmade's Grand Poo Bar and hated it. I'm still waiting to try KBB Juicy Poo Bar too.

I live by the Poo Bar.

Before the AfroVeda-Gate Scandal, that I am protesting, I liked their bar too, but I would never buy from them ever again, LONG STORY.
makeupvixen

View user profile http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural505 on 17th February 2011, 1:37 pm

they are so much easier to me. KBB is a lil on the expensive side in comparison to the size. ive tried chagrin and they are my favorite so far, maybe because that was the first company i brought from. makeupvixen; what was wrong with oyin's poo bar?

Natural505

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 on 17th February 2011, 1:57 pm

makeupvixen wrote:Well I have every freaking Chagrin Valley Soap there is, lol. I do YT video reviews on each of them one by one, it takes me forever.

I have gotten a few from Whole Foods, in the regular Soap Isle, and they are just ok. I have also purchased some homemade ones from Etsy.com. I love the Beer ones and the Marshmallow Root ones, still reviewing on YT.

Then I tried Oyin Handmade's Grand Poo Bar and hated it. I'm still waiting to try KBB Juicy Poo Bar too.

I live by the Poo Bar.

Before the AfroVeda-Gate Scandal, that I am protesting, I liked their bar too, but I would never buy from them ever again, LONG STORY.

I just bought something from Afroveda!!! What happened!!???
laleepop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 on 17th February 2011, 2:04 pm

I use plain ole african black soap lol and clarify every month and a half i might venture out to try a few bars after my BC but with the money i spend on oils ahea butter and all that plus conditioners i might just say no to shampoo all together lol
creolebeauty1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunt_Lola on 17th February 2011, 5:05 pm

I've seen some shampoo bars at Whole Foods, but I don't know the brand name or if they'll be available in your area.

Maybe you could check there in the hair care aisle?

Aunt_Lola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Moore on 17th February 2011, 5:57 pm

I don't mind shampoo bars but I've yet to try any commercially available! My mom made a rosemary-mint bar for me that was supposed to be used as a body bar but at 5% super-fat I decided to use it on my hair instead. I actually liked that much better than anything store bought liquid shampoo.
Ms. Moore

View user profile http://www.whatmoore.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree on 18th February 2011, 9:16 pm

keeping an eye on this thread because i want to try a shampoo bar...my 1st attempt about 5 years ago was just...ok. Neutral
Peachtree

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey on 28th February 2011, 3:04 am

I love Chagrin Valley soaps as well.
PaganWifey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bpjedi on 28th February 2011, 3:44 am

letha wrote:This is the site I used just that when I used the soaps for the 1st time.. It didn't go too well for me but I won't give up and I ordered more than 1 sample bar so I have to give it another try.. There are other ladies on the board who ordered from them and you can get sample bars also which is a plus..

http://www.chagrinvalleysoap.com/

I love Chagrin Valley Soap shampoo bars! After changing brands pretty often in the past, they're the only shampoo I've used on my head for the past 2 years. They were great for my locks, and I like them on my current growing-out-twa hair.

One trick with them (and I'd guess other shampoo bars as well?) is you should be sure to do an ACV rinse after using them to return your hair to the proper ph. I add a few tablespoons of ACV to one of those quart-sized yogurt containers, fill the rest with cool/lukewarm water, and pour it through my hair after rinsing out my conditioner. I don't rinse it out, and the smell goes away as your hair dries.

I should also note that I don't use anything with mineral oil, 'cones, or petroleum/petrolatum in my hair (they gave me dandruff and a generally greasy head w/o benefits); natural shampoo bars may not work as well for folks who use those ingredients.
bpjedi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Moore on 28th February 2011, 9:22 am

That is sooooooooooo important @ bpjedi. Soaps/shampoos generally have a pH between 8-11 (unless they explicitly state otherwise). You don't want that lingering around on your hair. I think that is generally the case with any shampoos--that's where ACV comes in handy.

I've been reading this sustainability blog and the woman uses baking soda and vinegar to wash her hair. Once I figure my plan of attack, I will probably move on to this method.
Ms. Moore

View user profile http://www.whatmoore.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaptownCurls on 28th February 2011, 8:29 pm

I use the Chagrin Valley Shampoo bars also, and really like them. I have not used any from other sites or any from Whole Foods.
NaptownCurls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyhairchic on 28th February 2011, 10:13 pm

Hmmm...something to consider. I've never tried them, but it sounds like something I should try.
funkyhairchic

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by JaliseH on 1st March 2011, 12:12 am

makeupvixen wrote:Well I have every freaking Chagrin Valley Soap there is, lol. I do YT video reviews on each of them one by one, it takes me forever.

I live by the Poo Bar.

Oh no. I just bought the grand poo bar. What didn't you like about it?
JaliseH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazelbabe on 1st March 2011, 1:16 am

I uses änders peppermint tea tree natural soap. It isn't meant to be a shampoo bar but it's 100% natural and made out of mainly organic oils. It works great on my hair, and I can go 2 weeks without washing my hair [normally with regular sulfate free shampoo my scalp starts itching really bad before the end of week 1]. You can buy it online at http://andersnaturalsoap.com/ or if you live near Raleigh, NC you can buy it at the farmer's market.
Hazelbabe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top